Global Variables? Multi-Application Variables?

Tony Archer

Ok, first I know there are some db ways around this BUT I'll ask it anyhow:

I have a couple ASP applications running on my server (non .NET)

I would like to be able to get a sum total of how many active sessions I
have running.

I can do this within each app individually as I can just use an Application
variable and add/subtract as the sessions are created or deleted.

I am trying to come up with a sum total of all sessions between the two (or
more) apps running on this server.

That way I can tell if it is safe to reboot the box without affecting anyone
or not.

Bring on the ingenious solutions!

--Tony

Andrew J Durstewitz

Couldn't you just create the 2 applications in seperate folders and use
seperate global.asa files? I think it would work out.

Andrew

DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

Mark Schupp

there is a component available that will allow you access to the performance
monitor counters. this would probably be the cleanest way to do what you
want. check www.aspfaq.com for the component name (anyone have a link
handy).

Tony Archer

I *DO* have seperate apps.

I want to track how many active sessions TOTAL there are between them.

I can track them by setting an App variable in the global.asa file and
adding or subtracting one on creat or delete.

HOWEVER I cannot view from one app "ADMIN_APP" the variables in "CLIENT_APP"

I have tried making the CLIENT_APP use microsoft's XML GET object to a page
within the other app who's sole purpose is to add a count to a variable and
another on session end who's sole purpose is to subtract, but it doesn't
seem to fire.

I have also tried to just have a page on CLIENT_APP which ADMIN_APP will
query with the XML object and all that is on that page is that app's sum.
Unfortunately as the site is secured I cannot perform this action as the
site is re-directed due to a security component we have in place :(

Tony Archer

Unfortunately the object does not work on NT-4 SP6.

Do you have any other suggestions?