Global Variables? Multi-Application Variables?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Tony Archer, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Tony Archer

    Tony Archer Guest

    Ok, first I know there are some db ways around this BUT I'll ask it anyhow:

    I have a couple ASP applications running on my server (non .NET)

    I would like to be able to get a sum total of how many active sessions I
    have running.

    I can do this within each app individually as I can just use an Application
    variable and add/subtract as the sessions are created or deleted.

    I am trying to come up with a sum total of all sessions between the two (or
    more) apps running on this server.

    That way I can tell if it is safe to reboot the box without affecting anyone
    or not.

    Bring on the ingenious solutions!

    --Tony

    Tony Archer, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Couldn't you just create the 2 applications in seperate folders and use
    seperate global.asa files? I think it would work out.

    Andrew

    DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
    ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

    Andrew J Durstewitz, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Tony Archer

    Mark Schupp Guest

    there is a component available that will allow you access to the performance
    monitor counters. this would probably be the cleanest way to do what you
    want. check www.aspfaq.com for the component name (anyone have a link
    handy).

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Tony Archer

    Tony Archer Guest

    I *DO* have seperate apps.

    I want to track how many active sessions TOTAL there are between them.

    I can track them by setting an App variable in the global.asa file and
    adding or subtracting one on creat or delete.

    HOWEVER I cannot view from one app "ADMIN_APP" the variables in "CLIENT_APP"

    I have tried making the CLIENT_APP use microsoft's XML GET object to a page
    within the other app who's sole purpose is to add a count to a variable and
    another on session end who's sole purpose is to subtract, but it doesn't
    seem to fire.

    I have also tried to just have a page on CLIENT_APP which ADMIN_APP will
    query with the XML object and all that is on that page is that app's sum.
    Unfortunately as the site is secured I cannot perform this action as the
    site is re-directed due to a security component we have in place :(

    Tony Archer, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Tony Archer

    Tony Archer Guest

    Cool! Thanks!

    I think you mean www.perfhound.com

    I was using www.sysinternals.com 's psinfo to get uptime before.

    Tony Archer, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Tony Archer

    Tony Archer Guest

    Unfortunately the object does not work on NT-4 SP6.

    Do you have any other suggestions?

    Tony Archer, Nov 25, 2003