Globalization

hardieca

Hi,

I'm working on a multilingual CMS. I have a number of controls and
labels that are generated based on the number of languages the CMS
supports (ie. for the section management portion of the app, we could
have dynamically generated control labels "English Section Name",
"French Section Name", "Spanish Section Name", etc...)

However, the CMS will also be operated in different languages. The
labels are constructed using strings from resource files being
concatenated with a db lookup on the neutral 2-letter ISO language
code. The issue arises as the language names are stored in English
only, so when I flip over to French, the label that reads "English
Section Name" now reads "Nom du section en English". Not good!

Have language names been translated within .NET, and if so, does
anyone have a clue how I would access them?

Regards,

Chris

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Language names are not "translated" automatically. You have to set the
resource strings. You can either use a resource file or your own resource
provider. Michele Bustamante has some great articles on globalization on
MSDN, including one with custom providers.