    IFrames? If not, then how can I do something similar?

    Thanks in Advance,
    Anthony

    Papillion, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Papillion

    Jim Ley Guest

    On 10 Nov 2004 15:27:47 -0800, (Papillion) wrote:

    >Hello Everyone,
    >
    >I'm designing a webpage and I want to add an effect similar to the one
    >GMail uses when loading/reloading the inbox. If you'll notice, only
    >the section of the page that displays the mailbox is actually
    >reloaded. The rest of the page stays the same. Is this done via
    >IFrames?

    http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html

    Jim.

    Jim Ley, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Papillion

    Randy Webb Guest

    Anthony Papillion II wrote:
    >>http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html
    >>
    >>Jim.

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Thanks for the URL. I am still a bit confused though. I understand how to
    > make requests in the formats discussed on the page you referred me to. But I
    > still don't understand how only *part* of the page is being reloaded without
    > touching the rest of it. Maybe I'm missing something subtle in the
    > discussion on the page you sent me. But it doesnt seem to really answer my
    > question.

    User clicks a button to view a different email.
    Script makes an HTTPRequest to retrieve the information for the email.
    Script modifies the .innerHTML property of a DIV tag to be equal to the
    contents of the email.

    The HTTPRequestObject is what he referred to.
    ..innerHTML is covered in the group FAQ

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Papillion

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "Anthony Papillion II" <> wrote in message
    > > http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html
    > >
    > > Jim.

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Thanks for the URL. I am still a bit confused though. I understand how to
    > make requests in the formats discussed on the page you referred me to. But

    > still don't understand how only *part* of the page is being reloaded

    without
    > touching the rest of it. Maybe I'm missing something subtle in the
    > discussion on the page you sent me. But it doesnt seem to really answer my
    > question.

    You grab the container for the section you want to update,
    ie. a <div id='blabla'> by the help of .getElementById(...),
    and change its content with either .innerHTML =..., or
    by changing the nodes in the DOM-tree, with the result from
    the request.

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Nov 11, 2004