GNU Emacs + Ruby (not RoR)

arcadiorubiogarcia

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup GNU Emacs (Aquamacs) for developing with Ruby, not
Ruby on Rails.

I'm having a hard time since I'm newbie to Emacs and almost all
references I've found deal with RoR setup, not Ruby.

I've already configured successfully the ruby-mode, snippet.el and
xmpfilter. However, I don't know how to add autocompletion, ri, irb,
etc.

I would appreciate very much any links to detailed instructions for
finishing my setup, and/or Emacs Lisp preference files.

Thanks in advance

Alex Shulgin

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup GNU Emacs (Aquamacs) for developing with Ruby, not
Ruby on Rails.

I'm having a hard time since I'm newbie to Emacs and almost all
references I've found deal with RoR setup, not Ruby.

I've already configured successfully the ruby-mode, snippet.el and
xmpfilter. However, I don't know how to add autocompletion, ri, irb,
etc.

Hm... I've used to use Emacs + ruby-mode and I'm pretty OK with the
default setup. Autocomplete is always here--just hit Alt+/ :)

As to ri and irb--I run them from the shell. The only ruby-related
thing I love to run from Emacs is 'ruby -rdebug'...

Vitor Peres

As to ri and irb--I run them from the shell. The only ruby-related
thing I love to run from Emacs is 'ruby -rdebug'...

About that... I, particularly, can't get rdebug to work properly with Emacs.
I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I've got rdebug.el loaded, and
everytime I call "M-x rdebug", I get a new empty buffer with my ruby file
preceded by two ^Z, the little arrow pointing to its first line (which is
also empty). rdebug console also refers to the filename preceded by the two
^Z.
Do you have any tips for that or does it just work?

arg

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

As to ri and irb--I run them from the shell.  The only ruby-related
thing I love to run from Emacs is 'ruby -rdebug'...

About that... I, particularly, can't get rdebug to work properly with Emacs.
I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I've got rdebug.el loaded, and
everytime I call "M-x rdebug", I get a new empty buffer with my ruby file
preceded by two ^Z, the little arrow pointing to its first line (which is
also empty). rdebug console also refers to the filename preceded by the two
^Z.
Do you have any tips for that or does it just work?

Thanks for your replies.

Could you post your emacs configuration file for Ruby? I want to see
if I'm missing anything.

Alex Shulgin

As to ri and irb--I run them from the shell. The only ruby-related
thing I love to run from Emacs is 'ruby -rdebug'...

About that... I, particularly, can't get rdebug to work properly with Emacs.
I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I've got rdebug.el loaded, and
everytime I call "M-x rdebug", I get a new empty buffer with my ruby file
preceded by two ^Z, the little arrow pointing to its first line (which is
also empty). rdebug console also refers to the filename preceded by the two
^Z.
Do you have any tips for that or does it just work?

Hm... I cannot issue `M-x rdebug'--it's not recognized by Emacs,
though rdebug.el is somewhere under site-lisp/... But I use `M-x
gdb', `ruby -rdebug myfile.rb' and then it works smoothly.

It's Debian lenny, GNU Emacs 22.1.1, ruby-1.8.6.

Hope this helps.

Alex Shulgin

Thanks for your replies.

Could you post your emacs configuration file for Ruby? I want to see
if I'm missing anything.

As I've said I use default setup--there is nothing ruby-specific in
my .emacs...

Thufir

I'm trying to setup GNU Emacs (Aquamacs) for developing with Ruby, not
Ruby on Rails.

I'm having a hard time since I'm newbie to Emacs and almost all
references I've found deal with RoR setup, not Ruby.

Are you using emacs from the command line, or the GUI? I'm presently
using nano and am looking to switch to emacs.

-Thufir