GNU indent styles

Ido.Yehieli

Hi,
I was searching the web for some common indent styles represented
as options for GNU indent (like gnu = -nbad -bap -nbc -bbo -bl -bli2
-bls -ncdb -nce -cp1 -cs -di2 -ndj -nfc1 -nfca -... or
Kernighan & Ritchie = -nbad -bap -bbo -nbc -br -brs -c33 -cd33 -ncdb
-ce -ci4 -cli0 -..., but for ones that arn't represented as one
parameter yet.) and it seems quite difficult to find any.
What I want is basically the more or less "sane" style, like the
one recommended for java here
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html
but for c++.
Does anyone know of a web site listing several styles as a list of
gnu indent parameters?

Thanks,
Ido Yehieli.

Matthias Kluwe

Hi!

(e-mail address removed):

< [...]
but for c++.
Does anyone know of a web site listing several styles as a list of
gnu indent parameters?

IIRC gnu indent does not support C++.

Regards,
Matthias

Ben Pope

Matthias said:
Hi!

(e-mail address removed):

< [...]
but for c++.
Does anyone know of a web site listing several styles as a list of
gnu indent parameters?

IIRC gnu indent does not support C++.

More to the point, I'm pretty sure C++ language does not support GNU
indent ;)

To the OP, try somewhere where GNU indent is topical.

Ben Pope

Rolf Magnus

Ben said:
More to the point, I'm pretty sure C++ language does not support GNU
indent ;)

However, it would probably be easier to change GNU indent in such a way that
it works with C++ than it would be to change C++ in such a way that it
works with GNU indent.

Ben Pope

Rolf said:
However, it would probably be easier to change GNU indent in such a way that
it works with C++ than it would be to change C++ in such a way that it
works with GNU indent.

Indeed. My point was that it is off topic (you snipped that).

Ben Pope

Ido.Yehieli

I'm sorry,
I thought that C++ code beautifying was topical for a c++ news
group.
Anyway, I've solved the problem by using astyle instead of indent...

Thanks,
Ido Yehieli.

Phlip

I thought that C++ code beautifying was topical for a c++ news
group.

Perfectly topical; this is not
Anyway, I've solved the problem by using astyle instead of indent...

I would have said, but I was busy writing pristine & totally portable C++
code using only The Standard. (And boost;)

Rolf Magnus

I'm sorry,
I thought that C++ code beautifying was topical for a c++ news
group.

Well, to find out what's topical in a newsgroup, reading its FAQ is usually
a good idea. comp.lang.c++ is only for discussing the C++ programming
language itself, not any specific tools that have to do with it.

Richard G. Riley

Perfectly topical; this is not

I would have said, but I was busy writing pristine & totally portable C++
code using only The Standard. (And boost;)

Ah good, there is some sanity. I'd like to know where his question was
topical and had the ear of C++ programmers if not here.

Noah Roberts

Rolf said:
Well, to find out what's topical in a newsgroup, reading its FAQ is usually
a good idea. comp.lang.c++ is only for discussing the C++ programming
language itself, not any specific tools that have to do with it.

Yes, please no practical discussion here.

Phlip

Rolf said:
Well, to find out what's topical in a newsgroup, reading its FAQ is
usually
a good idea. comp.lang.c++ is only for discussing the C++ programming
language itself, not any specific tools that have to do with it.

I doubt you remember the Bad Old Days, when this newsgroup was a cesspool of
questions like "how to I click on the MFC class wizard?" A devoted group of
regulars cleaned this newsgroup up, and added perks like Shiva's "welcome"
message. They inspired the current generation to patrol a territory.

The point of topicality is to cultivate a community of regulars who want to
answer questions that center on C++. Everyone here should know 'astyle' is
the leading C++ indenter.

And the "FAQ" doesn't even qualify as /argumentum ad autoritatem/. It isn't
a charter or constitution. I didn't vote for it, and neither did my cronies.

If you feel the need for topicality, reinforce that posting to the narrowest
technical newsgroup is in most posters' best interests. Generic questions
surrounding C++ (design patterns, some POSIX, Boost, style, "what library?",
and "what tool?") belong in the newsgroup that you would trust to give the
best answer.

Don't tell us you don't trust our community here.