gnu readline licensing?

Brendan Miller

Python provides a GNU readline interface... since readline is a GPLv3
library, doesn't that make python subject to the GPL? I'm confused
because I thought python had a more BSD style license.

Also, I presume programs written with the readline interface would
still be subject to GPL... might want to put a warning about that in
the python library docs.

Irmen de Jong

Python provides a GNU readline interface... since readline is a GPLv3
library, doesn't that make python subject to the GPL? I'm confused
because I thought python had a more BSD style license.

Also, I presume programs written with the readline interface would
still be subject to GPL... might want to put a warning about that in
the python library docs.

IANAL but I think because Python itself doesn't include the readline library as part of
the distribution (it is installed on your system by other means), you have nothing to
worry about. Only when you start to include it as part of your program, then you have to
worry about the license(s) involved. But I can be wrong here.

-irmen