gnuplot in browser: Java?

MarkWayne1969

I'm seeking advice on how to put an interactive application into a
browser.

Here's what I think I want. The user resources a given URL, enters
some form
data and submits it. A remote instance of gnuplot churns away (via an
ssh
-X session?) and displays the graphics window in the browser. gnuplot
has rendered a "pm3d hidden" (for example) image of the data received
from
the form input and the user can interact with the image (rotating it,
for example)
by using the mouse.

I don't know Java. Is it the capable of doing this? Is it the
preferred method? Can
you suggest an alternative?

Many thanks for your considered advice and opinions.

John B. Matthews

I'm seeking advice on how to put an interactive application into a
browser.

Here's what I think I want. The user resources a given URL, enters
some form data and submits it. A remote instance of gnuplot churns
away (via an ssh -X session?) and displays the graphics window in the
browser. gnuplot has rendered a "pm3d hidden" (for example) image of
the data received from the form input and the user can interact with
the image (rotating it, for example) by using the mouse.

I don't know Java. Is it the capable of doing this? Is it the
preferred method? Can you suggest an alternative?

Many thanks for your considered advice and opinions.

I've always liked servlets [1] for dynamically generating images like
charts & graphs [2]. The heavy lifting gets done on the server side, but
it may not be sufficiently interactive for what you describe.

Alternatively, you might look into the Google Web Toolkit [3]. It's Java
based and abstracts some thorny browser compatibility problems.

Finally, consider an application based JOGL [4] and deployed via Java
Web Start from a browser. It has a larger client-side footprint; but it
leverages the client's advanced 3D GL-enabled gaming hardware nicely.

[1]<http://today.java.net/cs/user/print/a/89>
[2]<http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/>
[3]<http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/>
[4]<https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/>

Arne Vajhøj

I'm seeking advice on how to put an interactive application into a
browser.

Here's what I think I want. The user resources a given URL, enters
some form
data and submits it. A remote instance of gnuplot churns away (via an
ssh
-X session?) and displays the graphics window in the browser. gnuplot
has rendered a "pm3d hidden" (for example) image of the data received
from
the form input and the user can interact with the image (rotating it,
for example)
by using the mouse.

I don't know Java. Is it the capable of doing this? Is it the
preferred method? Can
you suggest an alternative?

If you could get http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/ to run in an
applet, then it should work in theory.

The usefulness would somewhat be limited, because the internet
in general would not allow X.

Arne