gnuplot stdout & python question

Discussion in 'Python' started by bwaha, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. bwaha

    bwaha Guest

    I've posted this question to comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot too but given that
    this python group may also comprise a lot of gnuplot users, and is far more
    active, I've posted this question here too. My apologies to those who read
    this twice. I posted to cgag before I decided to post here with a more
    meaningful subject.

    Anyone had any success getting stdout from gnuplot on an ms windows system
    (XP)? I'm trying to read mouse coordinates using python. This link shows a
    basic mechanism implemented in python.

    http://www.physik.tu-dresden.de/~baecker/python/gnuplot.html

    It is similar to the gnuplot.py code which I understand is unidirectional
    only ie. send commands to gnuplot via gnuplot stdin. My hope is that I can
    implement the bidirectional interface in gnuplot.py and give it away to
    whoever might find it useful. But first, I gotta get it working.

    I can't seem to get anything back to a python shell by this method. Hangs in
    the function thats supposed to read stdout. Could be something I'm doing
    wrong with python but I rather suspect there is something in the way gnuplot
    on windows deals with stdout that I'm not understanding.

    btw - I'm using gnuplot 4.1 (Oct 10 cvs build), python 2.3

    bwaha

    bwaha, Oct 21, 2005