Peter

When user Clicks on the Close button on the main form I would like to go back where the user came from. If my form is the first page since IE was opened I would like to go to the specific website. Is that possible?

Thanks

Peter

Guest

To determine if there is history exists ,Checkout Request.UrlReferrer

code would be like ,

if (Request.UrlReferrer == null )
//add javascript to the close button to navigate to "specific page"
else
//add javascript to the close button to do history.go(-1);

clintonG

What version of ASP.NET are you using?
The answer Sreejith tried to give is incorrect.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

When user Clicks on the Close button on the main form I would like to go back where the user came from. If my form is the first page since IE was opened I would like to go to the specific website. Is that possible?

Thanks

Peter

Peter

I am using .NET 1.1
What version of ASP.NET are you using?
The answer Sreejith tried to give is incorrect.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

When user Clicks on the Close button on the main form I would like to go back where the user came from. If my form is the first page since IE was opened I would like to go to the specific website. Is that possible?

Thanks

Peter

clintonG

I'm sorry, I see I failed to explain why I thought Sreejith was wrong.
Do you want to go back only one page or back to the homepage of the website?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

I am using .NET 1.1
What version of ASP.NET are you using?
The answer Sreejith tried to give is incorrect.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

When user Clicks on the Close button on the main form I would like to go back where the user came from. If my form is the first page since IE was opened I would like to go to the specific website. Is that possible?

Thanks

Peter

Peter

One page.
I'm sorry, I see I failed to explain why I thought Sreejith was wrong.
Do you want to go back only one page or back to the homepage of the website?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

I am using .NET 1.1
What version of ASP.NET are you using?
The answer Sreejith tried to give is incorrect.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

When user Clicks on the Close button on the main form I would like to go back where the user came from. If my form is the first page since IE was opened I would like to go to the specific website. Is that possible?

Thanks

Peter

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Sorry for the interrupting.

Hi Peter,

I think the Request.UrlReferer or javascript window.history.go(-1) all
make sense. However, Request.UrlReferer will contains the original page's
location (it's a standard http header ..), however, this is not always set
by the cilent browser. And as for window.history.go(-1) , this script will
make the clientside browser go back one steps from the browser's history
list(just like when we hit the "back" button on browser...). The problem
of history.go(-1) is that when we have performed some post back on the
form, the postback version of the page will also be added into the history
list , so go(-1) one steps may not meet the requirements. So if there is
postback on the page, we may have to record this , (make a post back count
stored in viewstate...) and so that we can put the count in the history.go(
-count) as parameter...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Go back where I came from
| Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:43:25 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| One page.
message | I'm sorry, I see I failed to explain why I thought Sreejith was wrong.
| Do you want to go back only one page or back to the homepage of the
website?
| <%= Clinton Gallagher
| I am using .NET 1.1
message | What version of ASP.NET are you using?