God damn error 666 (Tkinter in PythonWin)

jean-marc

Hello,

No I'm not angry - but my machine seems to be :-|

A pop-up dialog appears while trying to close the main PythonWin window
that has that error 'God damn error 666' - I can close this and then
the machine is ok BUT bye bye PythonWin...

This occurs after a progression of windows (small 'w' for the frame on
screen, not the OS) related problems occur within the PythonWin
environment, and these problems follow after trying to debug Tkinter
apps from within PythonWin, which I had read was problematic, causing
all sorts of problem BUT never thinking it was the kind that couldn't
get fixed by a shut-down and reboot type of memory cleansing... Even
uninstalling all of Python and related stuff and re-installing them
does not make this better.

The progression of the sickness as best as I can remember is like this:
First, the debugger stalls and fails to permit correct exit,
Secong PythonWin seems fine (editor that is) but can't open any other
windows (browsers , pdf files etc) at the same time,
Third, Python's windows don't appear to fill out (documentation, for
example)
Fourth, I can't even open Pythonwin itself correctly, window open
without menus, or such stuff...

I think the nasty dialog referred to above appears between the third
and fourth events...

Sorry, this was not made to be a scientific test, so I can't be morfe
precise, it just happened to me twice recently because I'm on a 10-15 K
lines of program that uses Tkinter for the first time.

Mark Hammond doesn't seem to know where this comes from; thinks it
might be Tk related thing so I'm posting here in case it means anything
to anyone,

(My environment: ToshibaA70, Python 2.3.5, pyWin 203 (from
ActiveState), under Windows XP Pro SP2)

Hoping this is not CHTULHU telling to do something else with my life
;-)

Jean-Marc