god help us if this is the future of web design

Augustus

Developwebsites said:

Personally, I wouldn't really worry too much about what others are doing...
design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a
better designer than those guys (or alot of other designers) but if they are
better at sales they can still make alot more money than you at this field.
(not to say those guys are making the sales... they don't have too many
sites listed. But I have seen a few web designers who churn out ugly sites
but have big portfolios because they excel at sales)

Noozer

Michael Winter said:
There are plenty of things wrong with that site, but my favourite has to
be the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

....and the sad thing is that it's "clean" enough to snag the most ignrorant
folks who find the page.

: (

Michael Winter

(e-mail address removed) says...
[snip]
[...] the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

View just the GIF:
http://www.nywebnet.net/nycbanner.gif

I already did. Either:

1) they don't know how to resize images,
2) they stole that GIF from someone else and couldn't be bothered to
resize it, or
3) they're so incompetent that they don't know why serving 3MB
images is a bad idea.

Mike

Kim André Akerø

Michael Winter said:
(e-mail address removed) says...
[snip]
[...] the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their
logo.

View just the GIF:
http://www.nywebnet.net/nycbanner.gif

I already did. Either:

1) they don't know how to resize images,
2) they stole that GIF from someone else and couldn't be bothered to
resize it, or
3) they're so incompetent that they don't know why serving 3MB
images is a bad idea.

Yup, it's things like these that make me wanna reload that gif over and over
just until I get a "bandwidth exceeded" message (or similar). Just for the
sake of pointing it out to them.

Judging by their website's IP address, they're hosted by Yahoo!, which
provides plans from 25 GB to 200 GB monthly data transfer limit, so that
might take a while. Team effort, anybody? ;-)

Jeffrey Silverman

design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a

this applies to all kinds of skills. Not everyone realizes this.
Unfortunately, I realize this, but I'm not much of a salesman. I mean, how
many schlocks doing whatever very successfully have you looked at and said
to yourself, "they have absolutely no skill at (plumbing|dentistry|graphic
design|running a tanning salon)"? They have the sales skill.

I'm getting OT a bit, but this post started out that way, kinda, so I may
as well diverge some more, plus I'm tryting to keep up my posting stats
for this week... In the US, where I live, I often find myself
disappointed, worried, afraid, and helpless against the driving core of
our culture, which is money. Money == success. Money == happiness. Money
== upstanding citizen. Money == everything good. You see it on TV, hear
it on the radio, and read it in the papers. (at least the Web still has
enough free voices that you can read whatever you want).

My brother's brother-in-law is like this. He is a New Yorker, btw. I am
talking to him on Thanksgiving about Linux and the Web and computers.
*Everything* I said to him was responded to by, "How can they make any
money off that?" *Everything"! I told him that life is not just about
money and he scowled.

Hmm... I should put this on my website. later...

Augustus

Jeffrey Silverman said:
My brother's brother-in-law is like this. He is a New Yorker, btw. I am
talking to him on Thanksgiving about Linux and the Web and computers.
*Everything* I said to him was responded to by, "How can they make any
money off that?" *Everything"! I told him that life is not just about
money and he scowled.

Being that he's into money, it'd be funny that he asked that... even despite
the whole "dot com bubble bursting" thing there is still alot of money being
made (and to be made) in the computer and/or internet industry

Personally, I'm a fan of money... :)

Mitja

well, resizing that monster will not help much! It is a dozen images or
so
in a slide show.

not quite.... it's 31 of them :)
And resizing _would_ help (although admittedly not enough), that picture
is huge (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

Jeffrey Silverman

not quite.... it's 31 of them :)
And resizing _would_ help (although admittedly not enough), that picture
is huge (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

So you actually counted them??

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeffrey said:
So you actually counted them??

He probably did what I did: opened it with the Animated Gif editor,
which immediately said "31 frames".

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a
better designer than those guys (or alot of other designers) but if they are
better at sales they can still make alot more money than you at this field.

And don't forget customer satisfaction. I do RAD DB development. There are
lots of developers out there that know vastly more than I do and are much better
programmers than I am, but my customers love me and I've been in constant demand
for years at a stretch.

I like to repeat what a friend said once "I don't sell programming, I sell
*happiness*. If everybody's happy, I'm doing my job." Certainly, it's no
good to have really bad coding behind what one does...but I'd say there's a
certain minimum standard and once that's met, what really matters is how well
the the app works for the customer.

Mitja

He probably did what I did: opened it with the Animated Gif editor,
which immediately said "31 frames".

Even easier than that; Opera shows it with right click -> properties.

Mitja

opera this opera that. alright already with the friggin' opera!

Oh yes, opera all the way :)
In howtos, it allows you to move between chapters using mouse gestures...
and I thought I'd never get use to mouse gestures. Hey, I'm an addict now.
The mail&news client still leaves something to be deserved, but I can live
with it.
IRC client is built in, though I don't use it.
Ability to resume broken downloads.
Customizable keyboard shortcuts and lots of default ones, e.g. alt-f3 view
source, ctrl-alt-v validate at w3c, ctrl-g enforce user stylesheets.
Popup blocking, of course.
Can remember form inputs and fill them with the same data when visiting
next time and ctrl-enter is pressed.
etc.

This is off the top of my head. I suppose Firefox has got lots of these
things, but hey, I switched to Opera from IE a years and a half or so
ago... And I'm sticking with it.

And yes, it's got downsides, but well...

One more thing: allegedly the best standards compliancy. I had a huge
problem with a script I wrote just today. What it does is basically fetch
a web page, do some slight alternations, and return the altered version.
It worked fine in IE, it worked fine in Lynx, wget even, only Opera
managed to screw it - it simply cut off a third or so of the page I
produced. It kept me busy for at least an hour...
And the answer to the great enigma: I was keeping the headers of the
original page. They included content length info. Every browser but Opera
neglected it. Don't know if that's bad or good, but it goes to show...

Mitja

Oh yes, opera all the way :)

And I forgot my favourite:
Type "g foo" in the address bar and is googles for foo.
Fully customizable, of course. I've got "de foo" for german-english
dictionary etc.