god help us if this is the future of web design

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Developwebsites, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Developwebsites, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Hywel Jenkins, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Developwebsites

    Augustus Guest

    "Developwebsites" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.nywebnet.net/

    Personally, I wouldn't really worry too much about what others are doing...
    design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a
    better designer than those guys (or alot of other designers) but if they are
    better at sales they can still make alot more money than you at this field.
    (not to say those guys are making the sales... they don't have too many
    sites listed. But I have seen a few web designers who churn out ugly sites
    but have big portfolios because they excel at sales)

    Augustus, Dec 7, 2004
  4. On 07 Dec 2004 20:41:43 GMT, Developwebsites
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.nywebnet.net/

    There are plenty of things wrong with that site, but my favourite has to
    be the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
    someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Developwebsites

    Noozer Guest

    "Michael Winter" <> wrote in message
    > On 07 Dec 2004 20:41:43 GMT, Developwebsites
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.nywebnet.net/

    > There are plenty of things wrong with that site, but my favourite has to
    > be the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
    > someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

    ....and the sad thing is that it's "clean" enough to snag the most ignrorant
    folks who find the page.

    : (

    Noozer, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Michael Winter wrote :
    > On 07 Dec 2004 20:41:43 GMT, Developwebsites
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > ....It also seems that someone
    > neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

    oh man. you've got good eyes to pick that up.

    --
    if you pay for your gym memebership, use it

    Disco Octopus, Dec 7, 2004
  7. In article <opsino3bu4x13kvk@atlantis>, lid
    says...
    > On 07 Dec 2004 20:41:43 GMT, Developwebsites
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.nywebnet.net/

    > There are plenty of things wrong with that site, but my favourite has to
    > be the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
    > someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

    View just the GIF:
    http://www.nywebnet.net/nycbanner.gif

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 7, 2004
  8. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:40:50 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    > In article <opsino3bu4x13kvk@atlantis>,
    > lid says...

    [snip]

    >> [...] the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
    >> someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their logo.

    > View just the GIF:
    > http://www.nywebnet.net/nycbanner.gif

    I already did. Either:

    1) they don't know how to resize images,
    2) they stole that GIF from someone else and couldn't be bothered to
    resize it, or
    3) they're so incompetent that they don't know why serving 3MB
    images is a bad idea.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 7, 2004
  9. "Michael Winter" <> skrev i melding
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:40:50 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <opsino3bu4x13kvk@atlantis>,
    > > lid says...

    > [snip]
    >
    > >> [...] the 3MB animated GIF in the top-right corner. It also seems that
    > >> someone neglected to notice that random pixel above the Y in their

    logo.

    > > View just the GIF:
    > > http://www.nywebnet.net/nycbanner.gif

    > I already did. Either:
    >
    > 1) they don't know how to resize images,
    > 2) they stole that GIF from someone else and couldn't be bothered to
    > resize it, or
    > 3) they're so incompetent that they don't know why serving 3MB
    > images is a bad idea.

    Yup, it's things like these that make me wanna reload that gif over and over
    just until I get a "bandwidth exceeded" message (or similar). Just for the
    sake of pointing it out to them.

    Judging by their website's IP address, they're hosted by Yahoo!, which
    provides plans from 25 GB to 200 GB monthly data transfer limit, so that
    might take a while. Team effort, anybody? ;-)

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    Kim André Akerø, Dec 8, 2004
  10. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:52:07 +0000, Michael Winter wrote:

    > 1) they don't know how to resize images,

    well, resizing that monster will not help much! It is a dozen images or so
    in a slide show.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  11. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:59:34 -0800, Augustus wrote:

    > design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a

    this applies to all kinds of skills. Not everyone realizes this.
    Unfortunately, I realize this, but I'm not much of a salesman. I mean, how
    many schlocks doing whatever very successfully have you looked at and said
    to yourself, "they have absolutely no skill at (plumbing|dentistry|graphic
    design|running a tanning salon)"? They have the sales skill.

    I'm getting OT a bit, but this post started out that way, kinda, so I may
    as well diverge some more, plus I'm tryting to keep up my posting stats
    for this week... In the US, where I live, I often find myself
    disappointed, worried, afraid, and helpless against the driving core of
    our culture, which is money. Money == success. Money == happiness. Money
    == upstanding citizen. Money == everything good. You see it on TV, hear
    it on the radio, and read it in the papers. (at least the Web still has
    enough free voices that you can read whatever you want).

    My brother's brother-in-law is like this. He is a New Yorker, btw. I am
    talking to him on Thanksgiving about Linux and the Web and computers.
    *Everything* I said to him was responded to by, "How can they make any
    money off that?" *Everything"! I told him that life is not just about
    money and he scowled.

    Hmm... I should put this on my website. later...

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Developwebsites

    Augustus Guest

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message

    > My brother's brother-in-law is like this. He is a New Yorker, btw. I am
    > talking to him on Thanksgiving about Linux and the Web and computers.
    > *Everything* I said to him was responded to by, "How can they make any
    > money off that?" *Everything"! I told him that life is not just about
    > money and he scowled.

    Being that he's into money, it'd be funny that he asked that... even despite
    the whole "dot com bubble bursting" thing there is still alot of money being
    made (and to be made) in the computer and/or internet industry

    Personally, I'm a fan of money... :)

    Augustus, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Developwebsites

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:50:28 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:52:07 +0000, Michael Winter wrote:
    >
    >> 1) they don't know how to resize images,

    > well, resizing that monster will not help much! It is a dozen images or
    > so
    > in a slide show.

    not quite.... it's 31 of them :)
    And resizing _would_ help (although admittedly not enough), that picture
    is huge (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 8, 2004
  14. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:28:02 +0100, Mitja wrote:

    > not quite.... it's 31 of them :)
    > And resizing _would_ help (although admittedly not enough), that picture
    > is huge (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

    So you actually counted them??

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:28:02 +0100, Mitja wrote:
    >
    >> not quite.... it's 31 of them :) And resizing _would_ help
    >> (although admittedly not enough), that picture is huge
    >> (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

    > So you actually counted them??

    He probably did what I did: opened it with the Animated Gif editor,
    which immediately said "31 frames".

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2004
  16. RE/
    >design skills always play second fiddle to sales ability. You might be a
    >better designer than those guys (or alot of other designers) but if they are
    >better at sales they can still make alot more money than you at this field.

    And don't forget customer satisfaction. I do RAD DB development. There are
    lots of developers out there that know vastly more than I do and are much better
    programmers than I am, but my customers love me and I've been in constant demand
    for years at a stretch.

    I like to repeat what a friend said once "I don't sell programming, I sell
    *happiness*. If everybody's happy, I'm doing my job." Certainly, it's no
    good to have really bad coding behind what one does...but I'd say there's a
    certain minimum standard and once that's met, what really matters is how well
    the the app works for the customer.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 8, 2004
  17. Developwebsites

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:37:24 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    <> wrote:

    > Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:28:02 +0100, Mitja wrote:
    >>
    >>> not quite.... it's 31 of them :) And resizing _would_ help
    >>> (although admittedly not enough), that picture is huge
    >>> (pixel-wise) for what they really need.

    >> So you actually counted them??

    > He probably did what I did: opened it with the Animated Gif editor,
    > which immediately said "31 frames".

    Even easier than that; Opera shows it with right click -> properties.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 8, 2004
  18. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:13:48 +0100, Mitja wrote:

    > Even easier than that; Opera shows it with right click -> properties.

    opera this opera that. alright already with the friggin' opera!

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  19. Developwebsites

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:36:10 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:13:48 +0100, Mitja wrote:
    >
    >> Even easier than that; Opera shows it with right click -> properties.

    > opera this opera that. alright already with the friggin' opera!

    Oh yes, opera all the way :)
    In howtos, it allows you to move between chapters using mouse gestures...
    and I thought I'd never get use to mouse gestures. Hey, I'm an addict now.
    The mail&news client still leaves something to be deserved, but I can live
    with it.
    IRC client is built in, though I don't use it.
    Ability to resume broken downloads.
    Customizable keyboard shortcuts and lots of default ones, e.g. alt-f3 view
    source, ctrl-alt-v validate at w3c, ctrl-g enforce user stylesheets.
    Popup blocking, of course.
    Can remember form inputs and fill them with the same data when visiting
    next time and ctrl-enter is pressed.
    etc.

    This is off the top of my head. I suppose Firefox has got lots of these
    things, but hey, I switched to Opera from IE a years and a half or so
    ago... And I'm sticking with it.

    And yes, it's got downsides, but well...

    One more thing: allegedly the best standards compliancy. I had a huge
    problem with a script I wrote just today. What it does is basically fetch
    a web page, do some slight alternations, and return the altered version.
    It worked fine in IE, it worked fine in Lynx, wget even, only Opera
    managed to screw it - it simply cut off a third or so of the page I
    produced. It kept me busy for at least an hour...
    And the answer to the great enigma: I was keeping the headers of the
    original page. They included content length info. Every browser but Opera
    neglected it. Don't know if that's bad or good, but it goes to show...

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 8, 2004
  20. Developwebsites

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:43:25 +0100, Mitja <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:36:10 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:13:48 +0100, Mitja wrote:
    >>
    >>> Even easier than that; Opera shows it with right click -> properties.

    >> opera this opera that. alright already with the friggin' opera!

    > Oh yes, opera all the way :)

    And I forgot my favourite:
    Type "g foo" in the address bar and is googles for foo.
    Fully customizable, of course. I've got "de foo" for german-english
    dictionary etc.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 9, 2004