    Can someone recommend a good book that implements the GoF design patterns in Java?

    Thanks!

    Ken

    Ken, May 4, 2004

  2. Ken

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, May 4, 2004

  3. Ken

    Karl Hungus Guest

    My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
    the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
    java.

    --

    you know when you think you know something
    and then you realize you know nothing

    Karl Hungus, May 6, 2004
  4. Ken

    Jim Guest

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
    <> wrote:

    >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
    >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
    >java.

    The book is nice, but the HTML version is very worth having. Very easy
    to navigate around in (which you would expect), but is not really
    structured in a book fashion. Worth the money.

    Jim

    Jim, May 6, 2004
  5. Ken

    Roedy Green Guest

    <> wrote or quoted :

    >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
    >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
    >java.

    On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
    for newbies.

    It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
    authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.

    They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 6, 2004
  6. Ken

    Liz Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go

    > >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you

    know
    > >java.

    > On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
    > for newbies.
    >
    > It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
    > authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.
    >
    > They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

    Na, they put their pants on one leg at a time.......;-)

    Liz, May 6, 2004
  7. Ken

    Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message news:<nemmc.31726$_41.2559332@attbi_s02>...
    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
    > > <> wrote or quoted :
    > >
    > > >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go

    > > >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you

    > know
    > > >java.

    > > On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
    > > for newbies.
    > >
    > > It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
    > > authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.
    > >
    > > They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

    > Na, they put their pants on one leg at a time.......;-)
    >

    > > --
    > > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    > > Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming.
    > > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary.

    Fave, inexcusably-nerdy question: what's the worst line in the book?

    My stumper, which I know that I will never comprehend:

    From the Interpreter pattern:

    "If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
    worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
    simple language."

    !!!!

    I really must buy a new bulb for the bathroom. Hang on! Maybe if I
    express the darkness of the bathroom - and my desire for bathroom
    light - as a sentence in a simple language!

    www.EdmundKirwan.com

    Ooo, I feel dirty now that I've slagged off the great book ...

    , May 9, 2004
  8. wrote:
    > Fave, inexcusably-nerdy question: what's the worst line in the book?
    >
    > My stumper, which I know that I will never comprehend:
    >
    > From the Interpreter pattern:
    >
    > "If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
    > worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
    > simple language."

    I am not even a native speaker, but that one is pretty clear to me:

    If you have to deal with the same class of problems a lot of times then
    it might be a good idea

    - to sit down and design a problem-specific language, where

    - the language consists of simple sentences,

    - allowing you to express the problem on a higher level.

    Then use the Interpreter pattern to build an interpreter for that language.

    In fact, the whole sentence is trivial advice. This has been done since
    the stone age of computers.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, May 11, 2004
  9. <> wrote in message

    > From the Interpreter pattern:
    >
    > "If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
    > worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
    > simple language."

    Beats me, unless "king" is a typo for "kind", in which case it means "Build
    tools that will be useful frequently."

    Mike Schilling, May 16, 2004
  10. Ken

    Jim Guest

    Mike Schilling wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>From the Interpreter pattern:
    >>
    >>"If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
    >>worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
    >>simple language."

    I have the html version of the book so just for the record, its "kind"

    > Beats me, unless "king" is a typo for "kind", in which case it means "Build
    > tools that will be useful frequently."

    Just read the next paragraph (in the book), that's exactly what
    they mean.

    Jim

    Jim, May 16, 2004
  11. Ken

    Guest

    Jim <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Mike Schilling wrote:
    >
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>From the Interpreter pattern:
    > >>
    > >>"If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
    > >>worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
    > >>simple language."
    > >>

    > I have the html version of the book so just for the record, its "kind"
    >

    > > Beats me, unless "king" is a typo for "kind", in which case it means "Build
    > > tools that will be useful frequently."

    > Just read the next paragraph (in the book), that's exactly what
    > they mean.
    >
    > Jim

    Do forgive the typo, it is of course, "Kind."

    And now I know I'll never be a programmer: I just don't think like this.

    (Sniff.)

    ..ed

    www.EdmundKirwan.com

    , May 17, 2004