    C )
    I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
    the programming style to be adopted.
    Corrupted Mind, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Corrupted Mind

    Guest

    When I was learning C, the Kochan & Wood books were invaluable. Two
    book in particular I found very useful.

    One, Topics in C, is still available but seems to be out of date. It
    had tables of printf options and in general went into more detail about
    the standard library.

    Advanced C Tips and Techniques contained things that were not in any
    other book at the time. The C runtime environment, 2D and 3D arrays
    via pointers, sequence guarentee points. Really good stuff. It seems
    to be available via download from their site and it seems to have been
    recently updated.

    I never used Programming in C but it looks like it is available and
    updated. Based on my experience with the above two books, I would
    check it out.

    Here's their website: http://www.kochan-wood.com/

    Good luck.
    , Oct 14, 2005

  3. Corrupted Mind

    Chad Guest

    Corrupted Mind wrote:
    > I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
    > forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
    > no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
    > C )
    > I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
    > the programming style to be adopted.

    I would probably go get a book that talks about linked lists, doubly
    linked lists, binary trees, etc. If you plan on doing anything that
    involves networking, I would probably get and read "Unix Network
    Programming: The Sockets Networking API" byt the late W. Richard
    Stevens.

    Of course, no book is going to save you when you encounter something
    like the following in some GNU projects

    while(the_mary_poppins_isnt_gay) {
    current = current -> next;
    }
    Chad, Oct 14, 2005
  4. writes:

    > When I was learning C, the Kochan & Wood books were invaluable. Two
    > book in particular I found very useful.
    >
    > [...]
    > Advanced C Tips and Techniques contained things that were not in any
    > other book at the time. The C runtime environment, 2D and 3D arrays
    > via pointers, sequence guarentee points. Really good stuff. It seems
    > to be available via download from their site and it seems to have been
    > recently updated.

    The web page says that it is available for download. But I was not
    able to find the actual download. Did you?

    Asbjørn
    --
    Asbjørn Sæbø, post.doc.
    Centre for Quantifiable Quality of Service in Communication Systems
  5. Corrupted Mind

    pete Guest

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

    --
    pete
    pete, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Corrupted Mind

    Guest

    Corrupted Mind wrote:
    > I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
    > forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
    > no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
    > C )
    > I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
    > the programming style to be adopted.

    Tips & tricks:
    I would read expert C programming by Peter Van Linden for tips and
    tricks only learned by experience with the langugage. It doesn't
    include data structures or algorithms but just C techniques.

    Style:
    You might want to read Elements of Programming Style by Kernighan &
    Plauger. If you want to work on a GNU project, you might want to read
    Documentation/CodingStyle document in the linux kernel directory. It's
    parallel with K & R C style. Further, you would want to read the GNU
    coding standards document, search for it in google. But it contradicts
    with the kernel coding style. So reading both, you would find your way
    and decide yourself.

    Bahadir
    , Oct 14, 2005
  7. Corrupted Mind a écrit :
    > I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
    > forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
    > no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
    > C )

    C Unleashed by some regulars of this news group :

    http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/unleashed/

    > I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
    > the programming style to be adopted.

    Read their guidelines...
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Corrupted Mind

    Guest

    > The web page says that it is available for download. But I was not
    > able to find the actual download. Did you?

    I didn'y try to download it since I have an old published copy. I
    suspect you may have to register, login, and possibly pay in order
    to download it.
    , Oct 14, 2005
  9. Corrupted Mind

    slime mould Guest

    Corrupted Mind wrote:
    > I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
    > forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
    > no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
    > C )
    > I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
    > the programming style to be adopted.

    i too is in the same situation , but i think this book called 'A to Z
    of C' by R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah and K. Joseph Wesley is good (though it
    mostly deals with dos stuff).it is available for free at
    http://guideme.itgo.com/atozofc/
    slime mould, Oct 23, 2005