Going beyond the K&R book.

Corrupted Mind

I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
C )
I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
the programming style to be adopted.

AnonMail2005

When I was learning C, the Kochan & Wood books were invaluable. Two
book in particular I found very useful.

One, Topics in C, is still available but seems to be out of date. It
had tables of printf options and in general went into more detail about
the standard library.

Advanced C Tips and Techniques contained things that were not in any
other book at the time. The C runtime environment, 2D and 3D arrays
via pointers, sequence guarentee points. Really good stuff. It seems
to be available via download from their site and it seems to have been
recently updated.

I never used Programming in C but it looks like it is available and
updated. Based on my experience with the above two books, I would
check it out.

Here's their website: http://www.kochan-wood.com/

Good luck.

Chad

Corrupted said:
I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
C )
I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
the programming style to be adopted.

I would probably go get a book that talks about linked lists, doubly
linked lists, binary trees, etc. If you plan on doing anything that
involves networking, I would probably get and read "Unix Network
Programming: The Sockets Networking API" byt the late W. Richard
Stevens.

Of course, no book is going to save you when you encounter something
like the following in some GNU projects

while(the_mary_poppins_isnt_gay) {
current = current -> next;
}

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Asbj=F8rn_S=E6b=F8?=

When I was learning C, the Kochan & Wood books were invaluable. Two
book in particular I found very useful.

[...]
Advanced C Tips and Techniques contained things that were not in any
other book at the time. The C runtime environment, 2D and 3D arrays
via pointers, sequence guarentee points. Really good stuff. It seems
to be available via download from their site and it seems to have been
recently updated.

The web page says that it is available for download. But I was not
able to find the actual download. Did you?

Asbjørn

Bilgehan.Balban

Corrupted said:
I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
C )
I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
the programming style to be adopted.

Tips & tricks:
I would read expert C programming by Peter Van Linden for tips and
tricks only learned by experience with the langugage. It doesn't
include data structures or algorithms but just C techniques.

Style:
You might want to read Elements of Programming Style by Kernighan &
Plauger. If you want to work on a GNU project, you might want to read
Documentation/CodingStyle document in the linux kernel directory. It's
parallel with K & R C style. Further, you would want to read the GNU
coding standards document, search for it in google. But it contradicts
with the kernel coding style. So reading both, you would find your way
and decide yourself.

Bahadir

Emmanuel Delahaye

Corrupted Mind a écrit :
I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
C )

C Unleashed by some regulars of this news group :

http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/unleashed/
I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
the programming style to be adopted.

Read their guidelines...

AnonMail2005

The web page says that it is available for download. But I was not
able to find the actual download. Did you?

I didn'y try to download it since I have an old published copy. I
suspect you may have to register, login, and possibly pay in order
to download it.

slime mould

Corrupted said:
I have just finished the K&R's book. And, I would like to know what to
forget and add to the teaching of K&R? I ask this because I know that
no book is perfect, nor complete. ( even if they are the guys who wrote
C )
I would like to also help GNU projects, therefore I would like to know
the programming style to be adopted.

i too is in the same situation , but i think this book called 'A to Z
of C' by R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah and K. Joseph Wesley is good (though it
mostly deals with dos stuff).it is available for free at
http://guideme.itgo.com/atozofc/