Going from ASP and ASP.NET to Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by j_macaroni@yahoo.com, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    The main reason is so that I develop web apps to be compatible on both
    Windows and Linux. I looked at the other langs (PHP, Python, Java) but
    Perl seems to have the best balance of scripting, libraries. The
    language is scary that it allows you to do so many things.

    These are development tools all under Windows for now:

    1) Komodo using ActivePerl
    2) MySQL
    3) Apache for Windows

    Some questions:

    Can anyone recd a good report designer that will create reports to run
    under Windows and Linux? Under Windows I like http://DataDynamics.com
    ActiveReports report writer but I would prefer to use a report designer
    that will create code to run under both Linux and Windows.

    With ASP you can set up session and application variables and remain
    persistent across page requests. How do you do this with Perl/CGI?

    Can I run Apache concurrently with IIS? If I setup
    localhost/myapps/index.html how do I make ot so Apache processes the
    page instead of IIS?

    Thanks for your help.
    , Apr 14, 2006

  2. Matt Garrish Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The main reason is so that I develop web apps to be compatible on both
    > Windows and Linux. I looked at the other langs (PHP, Python, Java) but
    > Perl seems to have the best balance of scripting, libraries. The
    > language is scary that it allows you to do so many things.
    >
    > These are development tools all under Windows for now:
    >
    > 1) Komodo using ActivePerl
    > 2) MySQL
    > 3) Apache for Windows
    >
    > Some questions:
    >
    > Can anyone recd a good report designer that will create reports to run
    > under Windows and Linux? Under Windows I like http://DataDynamics.com
    > ActiveReports report writer but I would prefer to use a report designer
    > that will create code to run under both Linux and Windows.
    >
    > With ASP you can set up session and application variables and remain
    > persistent across page requests. How do you do this with Perl/CGI?

    Take a look at the Apache::ASP module. You can keep within the ASP world
    while still writing code that can be run on any server Apache can run on.

    > Can I run Apache concurrently with IIS? If I setup
    > localhost/myapps/index.html how do I make ot so Apache processes the
    > page instead of IIS?

    If you have separate IPs for each server, yes. If not, then no. They can't
    both be listening on port 80.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Brian Wakem Guest

    Matt Garrish wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Can I run Apache concurrently with IIS? If I setup
    >> localhost/myapps/index.html how do I make ot so Apache processes the
    >> page instead of IIS?
    >>

    > If you have separate IPs for each server, yes. If not, then no. They can't
    > both be listening on port 80.

    Of course they don't have to listen on the same port....

    --
    Brian Wakem
    Brian Wakem, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Matt Garrish Guest

    "Brian Wakem" <> wrote in message
    > Matt Garrish wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Can I run Apache concurrently with IIS? If I setup
    >>> localhost/myapps/index.html how do I make ot so Apache processes the
    >>> page instead of IIS?
    >>>

    >> If you have separate IPs for each server, yes. If not, then no. They
    >> can't
    >> both be listening on port 80.

    > Of course they don't have to listen on the same port....

    Ahh, missed the localhost part of his question. I thought he was asking if
    this could be done for production. I'd still prefer two IPs to appending the
    port for development, though... : )

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Apr 14, 2006
  5. jdrago_999 Guest

    I agree - I have been using Apache::ASP for a couple years now and have
    to say it is pretty good.

    The Microsoft guys at work can get up to speed quickly too, since the
    <% %> syntax is the same.

    Apache::ASP has several major benefits over normal IIS/ASP though,
    including:

    * Perl
    * Apache
    * sub Script_On(Start|End|Parse|Flush) in the global.asa
    * $Request->Upload( 'fieldname' )
    * $Request->Include( ... )
    * $Request->TrapInclude( ... )
    * $Server->Mail( ... )
    * $Server->RegisterCleanup( sub { ... } )
    * XML-style tag libraries

    It is possible (though undocumented at this point in time) to use
    Apache::ASP with database-persisted Sessions (via Apache::Session).

    Apache::ASP can be configured to automatically email you error reports,
    so you know when server errors happen, even if you're not watching the
    log files.

    The Apache::ASP mailing list ( check out
    http://www.apache-asp.org/support.html ) is active and has several
    regulars there to answer your questions.

    Apache::ASP installs right out of the box via the CPAN module on Win32
    and on Linux.

    Regards,
    John Drago
    jdrago_999, Apr 15, 2006