Going from ASP to ASP.Net

Billy Boone

I have an existing application written in ASP and utilizing several COM
objects. The client now is interested in porting this web application to
..NET. I'm trying to get a handle on what work is involved in doing this.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

BBB

Karl

You can use COM objects with .Net, which should probably be your first step.
Then you can work on porting over the COM object (at whatever pace) to .Net
code.

Simply add a refernece to the com object in VS.Net and you're good to go.

Karl

Kevin Spencer

Do you want to migrate it to ASP.Net all at once, or in pieces? This is one
of the first questions you need to answer. Second, you need to think about
migrating those COM objects to .Net. COM Interop is very resource-intensive,
and tricky. Once you've answered those 2 questions, you can think about how
to go about achieving those goals.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Girish Bharadwaj

www.asp.net has a ASP to ASP.NET migration assistent. Its decent. If your
application uses a lot of COM interop, particularly with Custom OLEDB
impelementations et al. you might be better off figuring out the pieces that
you would like to import.

Betweeen the migration assistent, Runtime callable wrappers for COM objects,
and a good reg-exp macro language, you can get to 90% pretty fast.

Search MSDN for some articles about this too. Most of the recommendations
seem to be handled by the Migration assistant.

Billy Boone

Migrate all at once is the request (including the COM objects too).

What is COM Interop?

Scott Allen

Migrate all at once is the request (including the COM objects too).

What is COM Interop?

COM Interop allows your .NET code to work with with COM objects as if
they were .NET components. In the best case scenarios it degrades
performance a bit. In the worst case scenarios it a lot of work just
to get it running.