Going Native 2012

Discussion in 'C++' started by Lynn McGuire, Feb 20, 2012.

  1. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Lynn McGuire, Feb 20, 2012

  2. Lynn McGuire

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Lynn McGuire <> writes:
    >Microsoft had a conference about writing C++ code.
    >Who knew ? I thought that they were all about C#
    >nowadays.

    There are at least the following »strains« of development on
    Windows:

    - native (C, C++, assembler, ...)
    - native scripting (VBS, VBA, Perl, ...)
    - dotnet (C#, VB, ...)
    - JVM (Java, Scala, ...)
    - legacy (VB6, Delphi, BASIC, ...)
    - WinRT (Windows 8, HTML+JavaScript+CSS)

    But look what Microsoft uses to develop the software they
    sell themselves, like Windows and Office: It seems to me
    that they mainly use native languages. (Although, the
    Windows 7 UI seems to use some XML styling language).

    Years ago, it looked as if dotnet was to become the successor
    of native development. Some companies invested to convert
    projects to dotnet or to train programmers for dotnet. Now,
    the C# developers are irritated from two sides: 1st "going
    native", 2nd "going Windows 8".

    Stefan Ram, Feb 20, 2012

  3. Lynn McGuire

    Dombo Guest

    Op 20-Feb-12 23:39, Stefan Ram schreef:
    > Lynn McGuire<> writes:
    >> Microsoft had a conference about writing C++ code.
    >> Who knew ? I thought that they were all about C#
    >> nowadays.

    > There are at least the following »strains« of development on
    > Windows:
    >
    > - native (C, C++, assembler, ...)
    > - native scripting (VBS, VBA, Perl, ...)
    > - dotnet (C#, VB, ...)
    > - JVM (Java, Scala, ...)
    > - legacy (VB6, Delphi, BASIC, ...)
    > - WinRT (Windows 8, HTML+JavaScript+CSS)
    >
    > But look what Microsoft uses to develop the software they
    > sell themselves, like Windows and Office: It seems to me
    > that they mainly use native languages. (Although, the
    > Windows 7 UI seems to use some XML styling language).
    >
    > Years ago, it looked as if dotnet was to become the successor
    > of native development. Some companies invested to convert
    > projects to dotnet or to train programmers for dotnet. Now,
    > the C# developers are irritated from two sides: 1st "going
    > native", 2nd "going Windows 8".

    Yet on the Microsoft Techdays I visited last week, C++ did not exactly
    get much attention. The HTML+JavaScript thingy seems to be only the lure
    webpage designers into developing applications for Metro.

    I figure that Microsoft itself doesn't know where it wants to go today.
    Big company, many departments, no vision.

    Dombo, Feb 20, 2012