    Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

    Thanks,
    Ashwath

    prashna, Feb 5, 2004

  2. prashna

    Fred H Guest

    > Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

    This is a really good one:

    Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference
    Author: Nicolai M. Josuttis
    ISBN: 0201379260

    I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

    --
    Fred H

    void FredH::Contact() {
    TextToSpeach.say("frode at age dee dee dot en oh");
    }

    Fred H, Feb 5, 2004

  3. prashna

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    prashna wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
    > started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).I would like to have a
    > book which has lot's of examples and should not be very expensive. One
    > of my freind recomended STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, by David
    > Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

    Folks here seem to love the Josuttis std. library book. I own it, and
    it's a great reference, by I found this much more useful when I was
    first learning about the library:

    http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={1E309761-654D-4793-84D0-A6F687965ABB}&session_id={781B0F22-B5AD-48EA-BE55-60F96570C160}

    A lot of folks here seem to use the terms "standard library" and "STL"
    interchangeably, too. If you actually need an introduction to the whole
    standard library, go with the Josuttis book. If you're comfortable with
    strings and streams, but iterators and containers are still mysterious
    to you, the Addison-Wesley book may be more useful to you.

    Jeff Schwab, Feb 5, 2004
  4. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:09:59 +0000, Fred H wrote:

    >> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

    > This is a really good one:
    >
    > Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference Author:
    > Nicolai M. Josuttis
    > ISBN: 0201379260
    >
    > I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

    So am I, it is a must have. I use it almost daily. But it's not a very
    good tutorial, even if it is *way* better than most.

    Unfortunately, I don't have an alternative except to say that there is a
    lot of rubbish out there. You might want to use google to search this
    group (add alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ as well) to see if it is recommended
    or not. Also, maybe even before that, have a look at the accu website,
    (www.accu.org) they have lot's of reviews. Something there should suit
    your needs and they'll warn you away from the bad ones.

    You mention that it should not be to expensive, but truth to tell, a good
    programmer needs good books. Note the plural. My advice:

    1) Get Josuttis. You'll want it anyhow. Never mind the cost, it's worth it
    thrice.

    2) If it's tutorial part is not what you want, search another tutorial and
    get that as well.

    3) Get "Effective STL" by Meyers. It's the other must-have for the STL.
    Get this last, but do get it.

    As an alternative to step 2, there are some very good C++ tutorials that
    teach enough STL to get you going with the Josuttis book. So maybe you
    should get something like "Accellerated C++" (Koenig and Moo) or "Thinking
    in C++" (Eckel) instead of a pure STL tutorial.

    A last alternative is to skip step 2 completely and rely on newsgroups.
    This can be very effective for those that are quick learners.

    HTH,
    M4

    Martijn Lievaart, Feb 5, 2004
  5. prashna

    jeffc Guest

    "Martijn Lievaart" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:09:59 +0000, Fred H wrote:
    >

    > >> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

    > > This is a really good one:
    > >
    > > Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference Author:
    > > Nicolai M. Josuttis
    > > ISBN: 0201379260
    > >
    > > I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

    > So am I, it is a must have. I use it almost daily. But it's not a very
    > good tutorial, even if it is *way* better than most.

    I'd say that sums it up pretty well.

    jeffc, Feb 5, 2004
  6. prashna

    jeffc Guest

    "Jeff Schwab" <> wrote in message

    > Folks here seem to love the Josuttis std. library book. I own it, and
    > it's a great reference, by I found this much more useful when I was
    > first learning about the library:

    http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={1E309761-654D-
    4793-84D0-A6F687965ABB}&session_id={781B0F22-B5AD-48EA-BE55-60F96570C160}

    That's a link to the first edition. Presumably one would want the second
    edition
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5EE22E47

    But in that case, Bookpool, as usual, is better
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ahwprnjmfr/ss/1?qs=stl musser

    jeffc, Feb 5, 2004
  7. prashna

    Don Kim Guest

    > Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
    > started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).I would like to have a
    > book which has lot's of examples and should not be very expensive. One
    > of my freind recomended STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, by David
    > Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

    Here's one I found quite useful:

    C++ Standard Library From Scratch (From Scratch)
    by Pablo Halpern (Author)

    a.. Publisher: Que; 1st edition (November 15, 1999)
    a.. ISBN: 0789721287

    You learn the library within the context of building a program called
    TinyPIM. This helps keep your interests up, since you learn how to apply
    the library for a useful and moderately sized project (about a couple
    thousand lines of code). After this, you can then read Josuttis and apply
    some of the more advanced stuff from his book to extend the PIM from the
    Halpern book.

    Here's a link toAmazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-5274099-3288823?v=glance&s=books

    Good luck.

    -Don

    Don Kim, Feb 5, 2004
  8. prashna

    Jon Bell Guest

    In article <>,
    prashna <> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
    >started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).

    Koenig and Moo, "Accelerated C++", will get you started. It's actually a
    beginner's C++ book, but it uses the standard library earlier and more
    thoroughly than any other beginner's C++ book that I've seen.

    --
    Jon Bell <> Presbyterian College

    Jon Bell, Feb 6, 2004
  9. prashna

    jeffc Guest

    "Jon Bell" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Koenig and Moo, "Accelerated C++", will get you started. It's actually a
    > beginner's C++ book...

    <nit>A *C++* beginner's book (as opposed to programming beginner.)

    jeffc, Feb 6, 2004