    Anything available ?

    TIA
    Lars

    Mr B., Dec 31, 2004

  2. Mr B.

    anonymous Guest

    Mr B. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Any recommendations on a good book on Java basics ?
    > I am very experienced in Windows / C++ programming, but have no idea how to
    > build bas classes to inherit from etc etc etc etc
    >
    > Also, I seem to miss some offline helpfiles on the Java methods, stuff like
    > setText etc etc
    > Anything available ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Lars

    'Java in a Nutshell' comes to mind.

    anonymous, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Mr B.

    Guest

    Just Java is one of the finest books on Java ever.

    , Dec 31, 2004
  4. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:43:38 +0100, Mr B. wrote:

    > Also, I seem to miss some offline helpfiles on the Java methods,

    The online quick reference can be found here..
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/overview-summary.html>

    This should point to where to download the entire JavaDocs..
    <http://onesearch.sun.com/search/developers/index.jsp?qt=download+javadocs>

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Mr B.

    Wendy S Guest

    "Mr B." <ask@me> wrote:
    > Any recommendations on a good book on Java basics ?
    > I am very experienced in Windows / C++ programming, but have no idea how
    > to build bas classes to inherit from etc etc etc etc

    I recommend Joshua Bloch's "Effective Java".

    --
    Wendy S

    Wendy S, Jan 1, 2005
  6. In message <cr3rck$k8a$>, anonymous
    <> writes
    >Mr B. wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Any recommendations on a good book on Java basics ?
    >> I am very experienced in Windows / C++ programming, but have no idea
    >>how to build bas classes to inherit from etc etc etc etc
    >> Also, I seem to miss some offline helpfiles on the Java methods,
    >>stuff like setText etc etc
    >> Anything available ?
    >> TIA
    >> Lars

    >'Java in a Nutshell' comes to mind.

    I have that too. The trouble is it's out of date already. I don't think
    there's really anything in there that you can't get from java.sun.com
    for free (plus most of it is more up-to-date).

    --
    Jeffrey Spoon

    Jeffrey Spoon, Jan 1, 2005
  7. In message <7xnBd.16286$Q%4.7060@fed1read06>, Wendy S
    <> writes
    >"Mr B." <ask@me> wrote:
    >> Any recommendations on a good book on Java basics ?
    >> I am very experienced in Windows / C++ programming, but have no idea how
    >> to build bas classes to inherit from etc etc etc etc

    >I recommend Joshua Bloch's "Effective Java".

    Is that the guy who wrote the Collections framework?

    --
    Jeffrey Spoon

    Jeffrey Spoon, Jan 1, 2005
  8. Mr B.

    thufir Guest

    yes (i think).

    keep in mind it's out of date too, though! generics solves at least
    one of the idioms, etc. it's probably availably free at your library,
    though. the concepts behind the idioms aren't out of date all, IMHO.
    --
    Thufir Hawat

    thufir, Jan 1, 2005