Good books in computer science?

Paul Rubin

dads said:
I'm wanting to purchase some of the titles that have been raised in
this thread. When I look they are very expensive books which is
understandable. Do you think getting earlier editions that are cheaper
is a daft thing or should I fork out the extra £10-£30 to get the
latest edition?

It depends on the book. Also, keep in mind that quite a few good
books these days are online where you can read them for free. SICP
(mentioned in my earlier post) is one of them.

Rhodri James

Really? So you don't think that the best way to get good at something is
to practice?

Self-evidently. If what you practice is bad practice, it doesn't matter
how much you practice it you'll still be no good at good practice in
practice. Practically speaking, that is :)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Steven D'Aprano said:
Shame on you for deliberately cutting out my more serious and nuanced
answer while leaving a silly quip.

Can't have been very "serious and nuanced" if it could be summed up by such
a "silly quip" though, could it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Chris said:
Vivaldi vs. Mozart

And the latter especially had definitely mastered his editor. Just think
of the sheer volume of the coding he managed during his short life.

Not many bugs either…

I thought Vivaldi did more. The style of music was such that they could
virtually sketch it out in shorthand, and leave it to the copyists to expand
to proper notation for the musicians to play. I imagine that it was also the
job of copyists to fix the typos.

In other words, high productivity was a direct consequence of adoption of a
cookie-cutter style.

Steven D'Aprano

Can't have been very "serious and nuanced" if it could be summed up by
such a "silly quip" though, could it?

But it can't be summed up by the silly quip, which is why I'm complaining
that the silly quip on its own fails to include the more serious and
nuanced elements of my post.

Bob Martin

in 117455 20090615 044816 Steven D'Aprano said:
But it can't be summed up by the silly quip, which is why I'm complaining
that the silly quip on its own fails to include the more serious and
nuanced elements of my post.

Lots of references to "good programmer" but no attempt to define the term.

Who is the better programmer - one who writes lousy code but produces good programs
or one who obeys all the rules of coding but whose programs break all the time?
(Yes, I know there are two other categories!)
In almost 50 years programming I have met all types but I tended to judge them
by the end results, not on their style.

Lie Ryan

Bob said:
Lots of references to "good programmer" but no attempt to define the term.

Who is the better programmer - one who writes lousy code but produces good programs
or one who obeys all the rules of coding but whose programs break all the time?
(Yes, I know there are two other categories!)
In almost 50 years programming I have met all types but I tended to judge them
by the end results, not on their style.

A programmer that just follows the recipes for the so-called "rules of
coding" is just, as Steven says, a bad programmers. Unless you write a
program that works, you are not a programmer; once you've written one
that works, we'll see whether you're a good or bad by your style.

Points is taken when the so-called rules are followed mindlessly.

Bonus Points if you can justify your breaking rules.

No point for program that doesn't work.

dads

I remember someone earlier in the thread mentioning reading source
code from good coders. I've been wanting to give this a go as it makes
perfect sense, I suppose the standard library would be a good start.
What would your recommendations be, something not too too hard, so I
don't understand.

Phil Runciman

FWIW I actually dislike this book! Gasp...

Much of the material is excellent but IBM got into the huge mess with the 360. Brooks observed failure from the inside and IMHO did a great job of it.

Project managers can never rescue stuffed concepts especially if a lot of money has been spent! Such projects have momentum and roll over anyone who gets in the way.

Brilliant architects are worth their weight in gold. I believe that ICL's VME/B OS began as a skunk works project.* It had such an architect. The latter was the official OS and was pretty good too. I think Warboys took over later once VME/B became official... if anyone out there knows better then please let us know and correct Wikipedia too. The Wikipedia item on VME is too sanitised for my taste. The "truth" is generally far more interesting.

If the software you are developing is going to be used by many people then remaining sharp and on top of your game is so important. Do not program if you are tired or you will spend your life debugging. ;-) I stop coding at 3pm for this reason. I come right again around 10pm!

Yes, despite the above, do read the book, but remember that among the content is a cautionary tale!

Ooops, the above is a bit away from Python. ;-)

Phil

*I was told this by the leader an ICL research team, no less than Alan Sutcliffe himself... many years ago now. (c. May/June 1970)