    What books would you recommend for a newbie in TDD?

    Thanks in advance.
    - Rasmus / rrn.dk
    Rasmus Nielsen, Jun 12, 2009

  2. On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Rasmus
    Nielsen<> wrote:

    > I have been using the built-in test framework in Rails a little, and now
    > I want to learn more about the basic theories behind driven development
    > as well as the best practices.

    Sorry for the direct plug, but I wrote something specifically for this purpose.

    My upcoming book "Ruby Best Practices" has a fairly comprehensive,
    somewhat framework-agnostic overview of testing principles and
    practices.
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523008/index.html

    Should be printed within the next week or so. It's already at the
    printers, and the full PDF is available now.

    If you want a whole book on testing though, and are interested in
    BDD/RSpec, you might want to check out the RSpec book, currently in
    beta:
    http://www.pragprog.com/titles/achbd/the-rspec-book

    I've not read it, but its nice to see a whole book dedicated to testing...

    -greg
    Gregory Brown, Jun 12, 2009

  3. On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Gregory
    Brown<> wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Rasmus
    > Nielsen<> wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using the built-in test framework in Rails a little, and now
    >> I want to learn more about the basic theories behind driven development
    >> as well as the best practices.

    > Sorry for the direct plug, but I wrote something specifically for this purpose.
    >
    > My upcoming book "Ruby Best Practices" has a fairly comprehensive,
    > somewhat framework-agnostic overview of testing principles and
    > practices.

    I didn't specify how much content there was... in addition to using
    tests occasionally throughout the book, the first chapter is dedicated
    to TDD, and is about 30 pages long.
    Gregory Brown, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Rasmus Nielsen

    Phlip Guest

    Rasmus Nielsen wrote:

    > Generally, I really love reading books. I love reading *good* books even
    > more. It gives me this pleasant feeling of learning something new while
    > using my time optimally.
    >
    > Therefore I spend quite some time finding the good books, and I really
    > hope it is OK for me bother you clever guys with this question.
    >
    > Being five years late or so, I've just recently touched the surface of
    > TDD through online articles on the subject.
    >
    > I have been using the built-in test framework in Rails a little, and now
    > I want to learn more about the basic theories behind driven development
    > as well as the best practices.
    >
    > What books would you recommend for a newbie in TDD?

    /Test Driven Development/ by Kent Beck
    /Test Driven Development/ by Dave Astels

    Unfortunately there are no Ruby-specific TDD books. All the good Rails books
    mention it in-passim...

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Jun 12, 2009
  5. On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Phlip<> wrote:
    > Rasmus Nielsen wrote:

    >> What books would you recommend for a newbie in TDD?

    > /Test Driven Development/ by Kent Beck
    > /Test Driven Development/ by Dave Astels
    >
    > Unfortunately there are no Ruby-specific TDD books. All the good Rails books
    > mention it in-passim...

    Well, the PragProg's RSpec book, which is available in Beta form now,
    does a VERY good job IMHO of teaching TDD/BDD in a Ruby context.

    Also Noel Rappin's "Rails Test Prescriptions"
    http://www.railsprescriptions.com/ is also in preparation and
    available as an early release PDF. Although it starts from a
    traditional tests afterwards usage of Test::Unit, it's evolving to
    cover TDD/BDD more.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Jun 12, 2009
  6. > What books would you recommend for a newbie in TDD?

    Agile Software Development [1] by Robert C. Martin is an excellent
    book that has thought me a lot about the TDD mindset (and indeed
    development in general). Not Ruby specific, but the code isn't the
    interesting part anyway. (There are Java and C++ examples, should be
    pretty easy to follow even if you don't know those languages.)

    [1]
    http://www.amazon.com/Software-Deve...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244833560&sr=8-1
    Bjørn Arild Mæland, Jun 12, 2009
  7. Gregory Brown wrote:
    > Sorry for the direct plug, but I wrote something specifically for this
    > purpose.
    >
    > My upcoming book "Ruby Best Practices" has a fairly comprehensive,
    > somewhat framework-agnostic overview of testing principles and
    > practices.
    > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523008/index.html

    No problem. Your book sounds very interesting. I'll definitely consider
    picking up a copy!

    And thank you all for your recommendations.
    Rasmus Nielsen, Jun 13, 2009