    I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
    want the list from basic to advanced.
    Thanks
    psr, Feb 21, 2013

  2. psr

    Guest

    Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 20:00:48 UTC+1 schrieb psr:
    > I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
    >
    > want the list from basic to advanced.
    >
    > Thanks

    I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very good reviews on Amazon for this book:

    A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
    Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)

    Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the one above to get further into the language.

    -- Oliver
    , Feb 22, 2013

  3. psr

    SG Guest

    On Feb 22, 10:18 am, wrote:
    > Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 20:00:48 UTC+1 schrieb psr:
    >
    > > I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
    > > want the list from basic to advanced.
    > > Thanks

    Check out
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c -book-guide-and-list

    > I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very
    > good reviews on Amazon for this book:
    > A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
    > Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)
    > Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the
    > one above to get further into the language.

    Be careful with Amazon user reviews. Beginners are not able to spot
    technical deficiencies and bad programming styles found in these kinds
    of books. If they feel they learned something and were happy with the
    style of writing, they tend to give a books a high rating even if the
    book in question is considered bad or even harmful by professionals.
    It's a shame that one of the popular and best selling C++ books at
    amazon.de is one of those that are not worth the paper they are
    printed on.
    SG, Feb 22, 2013
  4. psr

    Rui Maciel Guest

    wrote:

    > I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very good
    > reviews on Amazon for this book:
    >
    > A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
    > Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)
    >
    > Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the one
    > above to get further into the language.

    It appears that book has been published over a decade ago. The language has
    changed a bit since those days. Additionally, that book is a bit obscure,
    and in spite of having been published over a decade ago this has been the
    first time I ever heard of it. Are you sure the book is any good?

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Feb 22, 2013
  5. psr

    Pinnerite Guest

    SG wrote:

    > On Feb 22, 10:18 am, wrote:
    >> Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 20:00:48 UTC+1 schrieb psr:
    >>
    >> > I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn
    >> > C++? I want the list from basic to advanced.

    //
    //

    > It's a shame that one of the popular and best selling C++ books at
    > amazon.de is one of those that are not worth the paper they are
    > printed on.

    Like psr I would like a recommendation of a good book on C++.
    Sadly he has received only negative replies.

    Mageia 2 for x86_64, Kernel: 3.4.24-desktop-3.mga2
    KDE version 4.8.5 Running on an AMD 4-core processor
    Pinnerite, Feb 22, 2013
  6. psr

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2013-02-21, psr wrote:
    > I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
    > want the list from basic to advanced.

    If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:

    Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    Bjarne Stroustrup
    Addison-Wesley Professional
    1 edition (29 December 2008)

    I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
    reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.

    The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 22, 2013
  7. psr

    Pinnerite Guest

    Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    > On Thu, 2013-02-21, psr wrote:
    >> I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++?
    >> I want the list from basic to advanced.

    > If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    > Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:
    >
    > Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    > Bjarne Stroustrup
    > Addison-Wesley Professional
    > 1 edition (29 December 2008)
    >
    > I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
    > reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.
    >
    > The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    I've just downloaded a free pdf of it and given it a run through. It is
    beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I prefer
    hard copy anyway but at £40 plus ...

    Thanks for the pointer. Regards, Alan

    Pinnerite, Feb 22, 2013
  8. psr

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 2013-02-22, Pinnerite wrote:
    > Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 2013-02-21, psr wrote:
    >>> I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++?
    >>> I want the list from basic to advanced.

    >> If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    >> Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:
    >>
    >> Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    >> Bjarne Stroustrup
    >> Addison-Wesley Professional
    >> 1 edition (29 December 2008)

    > I've just downloaded a free pdf of it

    Free, or pirated?

    > and given it a run through. It is
    > beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I prefer
    > hard copy anyway but at £40 plus ...

    Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
    Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
    a commercial C++ compiler.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 22, 2013
  9. psr

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    On Feb 22, 11:13 am, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 2013-02-22, Pinnerite wrote:
    > > Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    > >> If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    > >> Forget about those for a while.  Meanwhile:

    > >> Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    > >> Bjarne Stroustrup
    > >> Addison-Wesley Professional
    > >> 1 edition (29 December 2008)

    > > I've just downloaded a free pdf of it

    > Free, or pirated?
    >
    > > and given it a run through. It is
    > > beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I prefer
    > > hard copy anyway but at 40 plus ...

    > Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
    > Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
    > a commercial C++ compiler.

    Or the price of one billable hour, which for me is much more
    than the price of one good reference text.

    To the OP: You can find helpful book reviews here.
    http://accu.org/
    Puppet_Sock, Feb 22, 2013
  10. psr

    Pinnerite Guest

    Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    > On Fri, 2013-02-22, Pinnerite wrote:
    >> Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    >>> If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    >>> Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:
    >>>
    >>> Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    >>> Bjarne Stroustrup
    >>> Addison-Wesley Professional
    >>> 1 edition (29 December 2008)

    >> I've just downloaded a free pdf of it

    > Free, or pirated?

    I think it was from here:

    http://www.4shared.com/document/DsEmhojB/Programming_Principles_and_Pra.htm

    but I founds this first:

    http://www.plentyofebooks.net/2012/11/programming-principles-practice.html

    and it seemed legit. No one in their right mind is going to print 1200 plus
    pages in full colour anyway. I only wanted check if it seemed worth spending
    £40 quid given that mine is not a long term career interest and having now
    seen it, I think that it is. I always try to 'try before I buy'.
    However 'progress' is causing huge numbers of bookshop closures so what is
    the alternative?

    >> and given it a run through. It is
    >> beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I
    >> prefer hard copy anyway but at £40 plus ...

    > Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
    > Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
    > a commercial C++ compiler.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    Alan

    Pinnerite, Feb 22, 2013
  11. psr

    Bill Gill Guest

    On 2/22/2013 7:30 AM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    > On Thu, 2013-02-21, psr wrote:
    >> I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
    >> want the list from basic to advanced.

    > If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    > Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:
    >
    > Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    > Bjarne Stroustrup
    > Addison-Wesley Professional
    > 1 edition (29 December 2008)
    >
    > I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
    > reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.
    >
    > The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    I have that one and it seems to be a pretty good one.

    Bill
    Bill Gill, Feb 22, 2013
  12. psr

    Swifty Guest

    Swifty, Feb 24, 2013
  13. psr

    Swifty Guest

    On 24/02/2013 15:17, Swifty wrote:
    > Does £25.96 suit you better

    I liked the look of the book so much that I bought a copy myself. Not
    the one in my link (above) but one costing a couple of ££ more, but a
    new copy.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/
    Swifty, Feb 24, 2013
  14. psr

    SG Guest

    Am 22.02.2013 13:12, schrieb Pinnerite:> SG wrote:

    > //
    > //
    >
    >> It's a shame that one of the popular and best selling C++ books at
    >> amazon.de is one of those that are not worth the paper they are
    >> printed on.

    > Like psr I would like a recommendation of a good book on C++.
    > Sadly he has received only negative replies.

    Not true.
    I also provided the following link to a list of good C++ books:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/
    SG, Feb 24, 2013
  15. psr

    Bo Persson Guest

    Jorgen Grahn skrev 2013-02-22 17:13:
    > On Fri, 2013-02-22, Pinnerite wrote:
    >> Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    >>> If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
    >>> Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:
    >>>
    >>> Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
    >>> Bjarne Stroustrup
    >>> Addison-Wesley Professional
    >>> 1 edition (29 December 2008)

    >> I've just downloaded a free pdf of it

    > Free, or pirated?

    It isn't free, so let's guess. :)

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Feb 24, 2013
  16. psr

    Guest

    On Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:55:50 PM UTC, Bo Persson wrote:

    > It isn't free, so let's guess. :)

    Stolen, but speaking of free I'd like to mention
    the C++ Middleware Writer --
    http://webEbenezer.net .

    It's an on line code generator implemented in
    3 tiers. The front and middle tiers are open
    source but the back tier is closed source. It
    has been on line for over 10 years. This java
    code generator -- http://springfuse.com -- has
    been on line for about 4 years I think.

    Brian Wood
    Ebenezer Enterprises - learning how to walk on
    economic water.
    , Feb 28, 2013