Good-bye to programmers...

Shawn Ferguson

I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA! I created a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less than 5 minutes. Is this the end of programming as we know it. I was simply amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point and click. My question to the group is, with the automation of such programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized" applications?

Glad to hear

intrader

I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA! I created a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less than 5 minutes. Is this the end of programming as we know it. I was simply amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point and click. My question to the group is, with the automation of such programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized" applications?

Glad to hear
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV>I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA!&nbsp; I created a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less than 5 minutes.&nbsp; Is this the end of programming as we know it.&nbsp; I was simply amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point and click.&nbsp; My question to the group is, with the automation of such programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized" applications?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Glad to hear</DIV></BODY></HTML>
I like seeing your enthusiasm. You will soon see that it takes programming :)

John Timney \( MVP \)

Theres a lot more to development than what the wizards can give you. They
provide the most frequently performed activities for you very easily, but
you still have to know how to code, and what to change to make the most of
the framework. Once you step off the track of common tasks your on your
own - dont worry - you'll still need to know how to code.

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA! I created
a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less
than 5 minutes. Is this the end of programming as we know it. I was simply
amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point
and click. My question to the group is, with the automation of such
programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think
programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be
configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized"
applications?

Glad to hear

Peter Rilling

There is a different between "programming" and "programming correctly". Just because there are automated tool and systems does not mean that they are appropriate for development. For instance, VS.NET has always had database integrated in the designer, but I know of no people to actually use these features.

There tool are really only for RAD development such as prototypes (imo). For instance, although I have not done much with 2005, I have seen their data integrations and if I am not mistaken, the database queries are stored in the HTML as declarative statements. In this case, where is the "data layer" (and yes, I know that 2005 has some providers to help with the data layer part, this is only an illustrations that tools are not necessarily the best way to code).

Ultimately there is no substitution for the architecture that a programmer can bring to the project.

Now, having said that, it is possible that people (that is managers) may have the initial feeling that you do. Just like companies think they get a better deal by outsourcing development to India (which is not the case because the quality is less), managers who are under budget pressure may think that an application written in one night using such IDE tools is better than the same app written in a week with traditional coding.

I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA! I created a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less than 5 minutes. Is this the end of programming as we know it. I was simply amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point and click. My question to the group is, with the automation of such programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized" applications?

Glad to hear

Jeff

Re:
<<Is this the end of programming as we know it>>

No.

I've briefly worked on a few tutorials for VS.net 2005 and WHOA! I created a database lookup with paging and ability to Add, Edit, or delete in less than 5 minutes. Is this the end of programming as we know it. I was simply amazed at how simple it was and how it did not require any code - only point and click. My question to the group is, with the automation of such programming task and the interface making it easier and easier, do you think programming as we know it in ASP 3.0 will exist or will we only be configuring templates /altering properties to create "customized" applications?

Glad to hear

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

Yup, its the end of the programmer. That breed has been ill for a long time
now. They are expensive and ill-mannered socially.

Enter the age of the Software Engineer!

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]