Good C book

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Alex R, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Alex R

    Alex R Guest

    Hey guys,

    I have been programming on and off in C for many years now, but I
    seem to forget the format of some function calls/conventions here and there,
    I might be working on something that is written entirely in assembly
    language for
    months.. Come back to do some C and there'll be something here and there
    that escapes me.

    What I am after is recommendations on a good book to keep as a reference
    whenever I get mental blanks where I cant remember something, so i'll
    have it there to refresh my memory. So a book that is for a
    intermediate/advanced
    level would be fine or any book that covers anything from the ground up
    would be fine.

    I am developing in C under DOS, using Watcom C and occasionally Borland C
    I need a book that is available in Australia

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Alex R, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Alex R

    fb Guest

    Alex R wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I have been programming on and off in C for many years now, but I
    > seem to forget the format of some function calls/conventions here and there,
    > I might be working on something that is written entirely in assembly
    > language for
    > months.. Come back to do some C and there'll be something here and there
    > that escapes me.
    >
    > What I am after is recommendations on a good book to keep as a reference
    > whenever I get mental blanks where I cant remember something, so i'll
    > have it there to refresh my memory. So a book that is for a
    > intermediate/advanced
    > level would be fine or any book that covers anything from the ground up
    > would be fine.
    >
    > I am developing in C under DOS, using Watcom C and occasionally Borland C
    > I need a book that is available in Australia
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks!

    Check back a few threads to one that reads: "Nth request of book
    recommendations"
    fb, Dec 1, 2004

  3. >"fb"
    > > Alex R wrote:
    > > Hey guys,
    > >
    > > I have been programming on and off in C for many years now, but I
    > > seem to forget the format of some function calls/conventions here and

    there,
    > > I might be working on something that is written entirely in assembly
    > > language for
    > > months.. Come back to do some C and there'll be something here and there
    > > that escapes me.
    > >
    > > What I am after is recommendations on a good book to keep as a reference
    > > whenever I get mental blanks where I cant remember something, so i'll
    > > have it there to refresh my memory. So a book that is for a
    > > intermediate/advanced
    > > level would be fine or any book that covers anything from the ground up
    > > would be fine.
    > >
    > > I am developing in C under DOS, using Watcom C and occasionally Borland

    > > I need a book that is available in Australia
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Check back a few threads to one that reads: "Nth request of book
    > recommendations"

    Or look up to Mr. Summit's FAQs ยง18.10 . MPJ
    Merrill & Michele, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Alex R

    Jrferguson Guest

    A very good book on C is: "C A Reference Manual" by Harbison and Steele and now
    in its 5th edition. ISBN 013089592X
    and is readily available through amazon.com etc
    Hope that helps
    John Ferguson
    Windsor, UK
    Jrferguson, Dec 1, 2004