good cgi framework

Rick Lawson

I have a cheapo web hosting account, but suprisingly it has python
2.2. Anyway, I want to do some basic cgi playing around and wonder
what experience people have with the various frameworks. I'm looking
at ease of installation with just ftp access (no shell) and
performance. I think this is what makes php so attractive because on
your $7.95/month host it "just works". But, God help me, how I hate
the php syntax, and crappy object support and no exceptions.

Thanks,
Rick

Dan Sommers

On 15 Jul 2004 06:33:36 -0700,
I have a cheapo web hosting account, but suprisingly it has python
2.2. Anyway, I want to do some basic cgi playing around and wonder
what experience people have with the various frameworks. I'm looking
at ease of installation with just ftp access (no shell) and
performance. I think this is what makes php so attractive because on
your $7.95/month host it "just works". But, God help me, how I hate
the php syntax, and crappy object support and no exceptions.

Unless there's something it won't do for you, I'd start with the
standard cgi module. There's nothing to install, and the only drawback
is the (relatively) high startup costs per invocation. But it works
well enough for my (small, low volume) applications.

Regards,
Dan

Thomas Guettler

Am Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:33:36 -0700 schrieb Rick Lawson:
I have a cheapo web hosting account, but suprisingly it has python
2.2. Anyway, I want to do some basic cgi playing around and wonder
what experience people have with the various frameworks. I'm looking
at ease of installation with just ftp access (no shell) and
performance. I think this is what makes php so attractive because on
your $7.95/month host it "just works". But, God help me, how I hate
the php syntax, and crappy object support and no exceptions.

Hi,

I use quixote: http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

Austyn Bontrager

I am using the cgi module, along with Zope Page Templates
http://zpt.sourceforge.net/

I made a CGIScript class that I subclass for each CGI script. This
wrapper class allows me to define a template filename, and a context
dictionary, and have the template automatically rendered when the CGI
script exits without errors.

It seems to run kind of slow, but that's okay for our site...