Good cross-platform IDE / multiple document text editor for ruby / rails?

Brock Weaver

I apologize for the cross-post, but I thought it would spur a good
discussion on both lists.

I'm looking for a good editor for doing ruby / rails development.=20
Here's my requirements:

* Cross platform. I spend days on XP and nights on Suse, with occassional=
OS X
* Multiple Document Interface. SciTe's single doc interface just won't do
* Debugging =3D not needed. Just a good editor
* FreeRIDE =3D no go. Doesn't respect my mouse speed
* Emacs =3D no go. I'm a vi guy, but not for this situation
* Teh snappy. Startup time doesn't matter, text editing does

What I'd really like is something like the windows-only TextPad
application for linux.

I've been leaning towards Eclipse, but haven't tried it out yet -- any
ruby / rails plugins for it?

tia

--=20
Brock Weaver
[OBC]Technique

Aaron Kulbe

------=_Part_556_24087223.1124895793883

What about vim?

=20
I apologize for the cross-post, but I thought it would spur a good
discussion on both lists.
=20
I'm looking for a good editor for doing ruby / rails development.
Here's my requirements:
=20
* Cross platform. I spend days on XP and nights on Suse, with occassional= =20
OS X
* Multiple Document Interface. SciTe's single doc interface just won't do
* Debugging =3D not needed. Just a good editor
* FreeRIDE =3D no go. Doesn't respect my mouse speed
* Emacs =3D no go. I'm a vi guy, but not for this situation
* Teh snappy. Startup time doesn't matter, text editing does
=20
What I'd really like is something like the windows-only TextPad
application for linux.
=20
I've been leaning towards Eclipse, but haven't tried it out yet -- any
ruby / rails plugins for it?
=20
tia
=20

------=_Part_556_24087223.1124895793883--

Eric Mahurin

I been using jedit for several years now because it is a very
powerful (plugins galore) point-n-click editor and is
cross-platform (wherever a java is available).

--- Brock Weaver said:
[...]

=09
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page=20
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs=20
=20

Alexandru Popescu

#: Brock Weaver changed the world a bit at a time by saying on 8/24/2005 4:51 PM :#
I apologize for the cross-post, but I thought it would spur a good
discussion on both lists.

I'm looking for a good editor for doing ruby / rails development.
Here's my requirements:

* Cross platform. I spend days on XP and nights on Suse, with occassional OS X
* Multiple Document Interface. SciTe's single doc interface just won't do
* Debugging = not needed. Just a good editor
* FreeRIDE = no go. Doesn't respect my mouse speed
* Emacs = no go. I'm a vi guy, but not for this situation
* Teh snappy. Startup time doesn't matter, text editing does

What I'd really like is something like the windows-only TextPad
application for linux.

I've been leaning towards Eclipse, but haven't tried it out yet -- any
ruby / rails plugins for it?

tia

ArachnoRuby: http://www.scriptolutions.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php
Suppored on Windows and Linux (MacOS support is not released yet).

Multiple Document Interface: avail
Debugging: avail
Snappy: full avail

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|

Mando Escamilla

------=_Part_1486_27025191.1124897730255

That's what I use. With vim's ability to split windows horizontally and=20
vertically (and open different buffers in each) and keyword completion,=20
along with the nice minibuffer explorer plugin on
vim.sourceforge.net<http://vim.sourceforge.net>,
it's about as close to the perfect IDE that a vi user could ask for.

--
Mando

=20
What about vim?
=20
=20
=20

------=_Part_1486_27025191.1124897730255--

Vicente Reig

Hi,

I have been using jEdit (http://www.jedit.org) too for all my projects
under Java, PHP, C/C++ and now Ruby and I feel very comfortable with
it, but Eclipse and it's Ruby Development Tools seems to be cool and
multiplatform, although RDT plugin looks very young yet.

If you want to give a try to Eclipse, there is a quick setup tutorial
at (and download a 100MB zip file O:) ):

http://dathompson.blogspot.com/2005/07/rails-on-eclipse-31.html

Best regards, Vicente.

=20
On Linux, I can strongly recommend Kate or KDevelop. Maybe someday (with
QT4) they will be available on Windows, too.
=20
=20
Personally, I had no good experience with Eclipse.
=20
Regards,
=20
Michael
=20
=20

--=20
Vicente Reig Rinc=F3n de Arellano
http://weblogs.javahispano.org/page/vitxo/

Jeff Wood

Also, I know that Lothar is working on multiple platform support in
Arachno ... currently supports windows & linux ... The site says OS X
support is planned.

I use it under Windows and it's a nice editting environment, lots of
little ruby extras.

j.

What about vim?
=20

=20
=20

--=20
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Jeff Wood

Giovanni Degani

------=_Part_1835_7433387.1124900388718

A little off topic...anyone knows how to disable syntax error checking in=
=20
RDT ? It's all messed up=20

2005/8/24 said:
=20
Also, I know that Lothar is working on multiple platform support in
Arachno ... currently supports windows & linux ... The site says OS X
support is planned.
=20
I use it under Windows and it's a nice editting environment, lots of
little ruby extras.
=20
j.
=20
t=20
=20
=20
--
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"
=20
Jeff Wood
=20
=20

--=20
Giovanni Degani
(e-mail address removed)
ICQ 965609

------=_Part_1835_7433387.1124900388718--

Ivan Vodopiviz

just a little note: SciTe DOES SUPPORT tabbed mdi (disabled by
default). you just have to edit a few entries in the globals config
file to make it suit your needs.
cya

A little off topic...anyone knows how to disable syntax error checking in
RDT ? It's all messed up
=20

=20
=20
--
Giovanni Degani
(e-mail address removed)

--=20
BlueSteel | | Merkoth

zimba-tm

It seems that not lot of people know Mondrian IDE. I'm wondering why
people don't use it, because it's as fast as arachno and is coded in
ruby.

On 24/08/05 said:
* Cross platform. I spend days on XP and nights on Suse, with occassion=
al OS X
check
* Multiple Document Interface. SciTe's single doc interface just won't = do
check
* Debugging =3D not needed. Just a good editor check, no debugger yet :p
* FreeRIDE =3D no go. Doesn't respect my mouse speed check, really fast
* Emacs =3D no go. I'm a vi guy, but not for this situation
not check, there is no :command input
* Teh snappy. Startup time doesn't matter, text editing does
not check, it's too fast for your requirements :p

[snip]

Take a look at it : http://www.mondrian-ide.com/

--=20
Cheers,
zimba

http://zimba.oree.ch

Ivan Vodopiviz

It seems that not lot of people know Mondrian IDE. I'm wondering why
people don't use it, because it's as fast as arachno and is coded in
ruby.
yup, totally forgot about it. but it's a great choice if you're
looking for a cross-platform IDE

--=20
BlueSteel | | Merkoth

Al Gordon

It seems that not lot of people know Mondrian IDE. I'm wondering why
people don't use it, because it's as fast as arachno and is coded in
ruby.

I'd like to use it, but had a hard time getting it installed. Or,
rather, installing (or even locating) some of its required libraries.

--=20

-- AL --

Rob .

If you're checking out jEdit, don't miss it's Ruby Editor Plugin which
supports method completion for Ruby core types, has an integrated RDoc
viewer and an auto-indent and insert 'end' feature:
http://www.jedit.org/ruby/
* Cross platform.
Yes, jEdit runs on the JVM, hence works in GNU Linux, Mac OSX, Windoze
* Multiple Document Interface
Able to put in screen splits both horizontally and vertically, as many
times as needed.
* Debugging =3D not needed. Just a good editor
No debugging in the plugin yet, but editing is good.
* snappy.
Performs well on recent cpu machines.

The plugin is actively developed and supported by yours truely; if you
have any feedback send me a mail.

cheers,
Rob

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 01:55 pm, Rob . wrote:
---<good stuff snipped>---

I wasn't going to mention nedit (my favorite editor for five years now, since
I moved from Windows), because I didn't realize it was cross platform:

from http://www.nedit.org/:

"NEdit was originally developed on a Unix system and is available on all major
Unix and Linux systems. But NEdit can also run on other platforms, if there
is a working X Window environment available. For instance, NEdit runs on
MacOS X, OS/2 and MS Windows. The platforms and toolkit pages contain more
details."

I'd almost guarantee it does Ruby syntax highlighting, but if it doesn't, it
has a macro language to let you add that and almost any other feature that
you might think of. (But, not to mislead anyone, it does have a lot of
features built in. It always seems fast (seems likely since it's written in
C) and I edit 1.5 MB files frequently every day.

(It does have a few quirks, some of them related to the Motif/Lesstif GUI it
uses.)

Randy Kramer

Brock Weaver

Thank you everybody for your responses. I'm sure I'll waste a few
days trying all the different editors out. :)

[...]

Joel VanderWerf

Randy said:
[...]

I've put some ruby-related nedit stuff, including syntax hilighting, at

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby_nedit/

Getting off topic: I like nedit, but ever since I switched from
mandrake 10.1 to ubuntu hoary it's window focus has been behaving
strangely. For example, if I use Alt-D completion (or any Alt or Ctrl
command), and the mouse is outside the text area, then after the
completion, the text area refuses to accept input. The window doesn't
lose focus (in fact, if I do Alt-F Escape, I can then type normally
again). If the mouse is inside the text area, then it's all ok.

This happens with or without my own .nedit file, and it even happens in
a blank user I just created with no special X settings, and it happens
under KDE or under Gnome. I even tried building nedit from source,
rather than use the ubuntu deb, and that didn't make a difference.

Just thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew...

Randy Kramer

Getting off topic: I like nedit, but ever since I switched from
mandrake 10.1 to ubuntu hoary it's window focus has been behaving
strangely. For example, if I use Alt-D completion (or any Alt or Ctrl
command), and the mouse is outside the text area, then after the
completion, the text area refuses to accept input. The window doesn't
lose focus (in fact, if I do Alt-F Escape, I can then type normally
again). If the mouse is inside the text area, then it's all ok.

This happens with or without my own .nedit file, and it even happens in
a blank user I just created with no special X settings, and it happens
under KDE or under Gnome. I even tried building nedit from source,
rather than use the ubuntu deb, and that didn't make a difference.

Just thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew...

I don't know, but I have a thought. I'm at my Mandrake 10 system right now--I
have no problem like you describe either on this or my Mandrake 10.1 system.

But, iirc, both Mandrake 10 and 10.1 come with nedit 5.3. I upgraded both
systems to 5.5 (not because of any real problem with 5.3, but because there
was some feature that I needed in 5.5 (atm, I can't recall what that was)).
Anyway, as I recall, upgrading to 5.5 was no problem, I think I may have even
compiled it from source rather than finding a binary RPM. (One of the first
times I ever managed that (at least, without IRC handholding).)

Hmm, something else is coming back to me, too, just a random thought--is your
nedit running with Motif or Lesstif? (Check the version information under
help.) There are one or more problems associated with using lesstif--I don't
recall whether the nedit that came with Mandrake 10 and 10.1 used lesstif or
motif, but I'm now using motif--I may have switched when I installed nedit
5.5. (And, iiuc, whatever political/freedom issues existed with motif that
caused the creation of lesstif are now resolved.)

regards,
Randy Kramer

Joel VanderWerf

Randy said:
Hmm, something else is coming back to me, too, just a random thought--is your
nedit running with Motif or Lesstif? (Check the version information under

Beautiful! That was it: just had to install motif and follow the
instructions in Makefile.linux for editres. That was a major frustration.

I'll pass this on to Thorsten Hause, since he may know how to get this
fix into the Debian package.

Randy Kramer

Beautiful! That was it: just had to install motif and follow the
instructions in Makefile.linux for editres. That was a major frustration.
Wonderful!

I'll pass this on to Thorsten Hause, since he may know how to get this
fix into the Debian package.

Good idea--do that! (But, I'd be a little surprised if he's not already aware
of it as I often see him on the nedit mailing list.)

regards,
Randy Kramer

James Britt

Brock said:
I apologize for the cross-post, but I thought it would spur a good
discussion on both lists.

Maybe OT, but one possible issue with such cross-posting is that not
everyone is subscribed to both lists , so replies are not seen by everyone.

James

P.S.

Use vim