    or paid?

    If you know, please let me know.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
    > to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
    > new one.
    >
    > I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
    > to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
    > and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
    >
    > Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
    >
    > I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
    > or paid?
    >
    > If you know, please let me know.
    >
    > Weng

    The merge tool that comes with TortoiseSVN is quite useful. It can show
    the old and new files side by side, and colour highlight any
    differences (changed lines, deleted lines, new lines, etc.). I have
    found it very useful in the past.

    http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

    Regards,
    Markus.

    Markus Svilans, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Hi Markus,
    Thank you. I will try to use the tool and compare which one is better.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Weng Tianxiang

    Guest

    , Jun 9, 2006
  5. Weng Tianxiang

    filox Guest

    ExamDiff - it's free, but only does comparison between two files

    --
    You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    filox, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Weng Tianxiang

    colin Guest

    I thought that all apps like this tried to be better than araxis,
    allthough I also use minmerge at home.

    Colin

    colin, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Weng Tianxiang

    Guest

    Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
    > to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
    > new one.
    >
    > I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
    > to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
    > and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
    >
    > Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
    >
    > I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
    > or paid?
    >
    > If you know, please let me know.
    >
    > Weng

    I use MultiEdit (not free) for this purpose and it is excellent. It is
    a highly customisable text editor that I used extensively for my VHDL
    projects.

    Charles

    , Jun 9, 2006
  8. Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
    > to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
    > new one.
    >
    > I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
    > to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
    > and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
    >
    > Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
    >
    > I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
    > or paid?
    >
    > If you know, please let me know.

    I use Beyond Compare. It's not free, though.

    David R Brooks, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Weng Tianxiang

    Nial Stewart Guest

    I have found Beyond Compare to be beyond comparison :)

    It'll let you do a diff on directories, then drill down into the
    directories to see which files have changed. You can then do
    a diff on the files where it highlights the the differences in
    lines allowing you to jump to the next diff and copy the changes
    from one file to the other. It's the best manual merge tool I've
    used (although I haven't used many).

    When highlighting the differences (in files and directories)
    there are filters you can set up to ignore unimportant differences
    (white space, empty lines etc), show only the differences etc.

    You can also select the two files or directories to be compared
    in windows explorer with a left mouse click to launch a comparison.

    You can set up different 'sessions' of file or directory comparison
    so when you launch it you can quickly select and run a comparison.
    If you do a directory comaprison you can select to update one
    to the other with one button, this lets you do a quick uncremental
    backup of recent changes to a remote server/directory.

    It's one of those utilities that would stop me moving to Linux.

    Nial.

    Nial Stewart, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Weng,

    I guess nobody has mentioned (X)Emacs+Ediff yet. It makes only sense
    with text-based files of course.

    One highlight worth mentioning is the ability to take full advantage
    of the editing capabilities and syntax highlighting (as well as email,
    news-reading, doctor...) of (X)Emacs.

    -- Marcus

    Marcus Harnisch, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Weng Tianxiang

    dalai lamah Guest

    Un bel giorno Weng Tianxiang digitò:

    > I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
    > or paid?

    The best I've ever tried is Araxis Merge (definitely not free).

    --
    asd

    dalai lamah, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Hi,
    Now I have several options: (I don't care if it is free or paid,
    because it is a company project, not personal one). The drawback of
    WinMerge is its search function incompleteness during two file
    comparison: During two file comparison, what I want most is a function
    that uses two user-defined fast keys to search forth and back for
    keyword different appearances and to find their differences between 2
    versions. With WinMerge, there is no fast key definition for search.
    When entering Ctrl+F, it pops a window to search for. If one is found,
    you must enter Ctrl+F again to search next, ...

    For example, if I define F3 key is to search forward, F4 key is to
    search backward. After first highlighting a keyword, then pressing F3,
    it would go to next key word appearance, or pressing F4, it would go to
    next keyword appearance backward. Their implementation is not
    difficult, but greatly reduce the timing to do search.

    To relieve my pressure, can you please tell me whether or not the tools
    you suggested and preferred have the functions?

    Thank you.

    Weng

    AxisCompare, Compare,

    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 9, 2006
  13. Weng Tianxiang

    Alain Guest

    Hi all,

    I use KDiff (http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/). It's free and very useful
    (you can ignore case, space for instance). You can compare/merge file
    and directory.

    Regards

    Alain, Jun 9, 2006
  14. I would highly recommend the *free*, multi-OS Perforce Visual Merge
    Tool (P4Merge -- http://www.perforce.com/perforce/products/merge.html)
    This is a true three-way merge tool, which is what you want when you
    are doing multi-user code development.

    You give the tool two or three versions of the code. Two-way merge is
    exactly as with any other tool. However, it's three way merge where
    P4Merge really shines. You supply the "Base", "Left", and "Right"
    files to it. The Base is the file you started with before making your
    changes. Left is your file. And Right is the other file someone else
    has created -- they've made changes (starting from base) at the same
    time as you were making your changes. It will then do a correct merge,
    and it does an excellent job flagging conflicts.

    This is the tool many of ourdevelopers use for merging, and in my
    experience, it is signficantly better (fewer mistakes, better conflict
    identification) than many other tools.

    Regards,

    Paul Leventis
    Altera Corp.

    Paul Leventis, Jun 10, 2006
  15. Hi Paul,
    I will try P4Merge.

    Thank you for your suggestion.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 10, 2006
  16. Weng Tianxiang

    Guest

    Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
    > to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
    > new one.
    >
    > I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
    > to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
    > and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
    >
    > Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
    >
    > I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
    > or paid?
    >
    > If you know, please let me know.
    >
    > Weng

    I use Multi-Edit (not free) for editing and comparing text files. It
    is excellent for both purposes.

    Charles

    , Jun 12, 2006