Good HTML Editor

question.boy

I'm trying to help someone out who is looking for a 100% free, no
strings attached, web (HTML) editor. I've looked around and found
many, but when you install them there are issues... Can anyone
recommend one in particular that stands out to do simple changes to
existing pages?

Thank you,

QB

Chris F.A. Johnson

I'm trying to help someone out who is looking for a 100% free, no
strings attached, web (HTML) editor. I've looked around and found
many, but when you install them there are issues... Can anyone
recommend one in particular that stands out to do simple changes to
existing pages?

For any and all pages: GNU emacs.

Chaddy2222

I'm trying to help someone out who is looking for a 100% free, no
strings attached, web (HTML) editor. I've looked around and found
many, but when you install them there are issues... Can anyone
recommend one in particular that stands out to do simple changes to
existing pages?

Thank you,

QB
Take a look at Crimson Editor.
http://crimsoneditor.com

Travis Newbury

I'm trying to help someone out who is looking for a 100% free, no
strings attached, web (HTML) editor.

If you googled the group for the words "free html editor" you could
have saved us all a little time...

ioni

If you googled the group for the words "free html editor" you could
have saved us all a little time...

Yep, Trev, some people that 'compose' in HTML never mind Google.

ioni

Neredbojias

Yep, Trev, some people that 'compose' in HTML never mind Google.

But there are some people that are so laid-back they are oft referred to as
"composed heaps"...

richard

I'm trying to help someone out who is looking for a 100% free, no
strings attached, web (HTML) editor. I've looked around and found
many, but when you install them there are issues... Can anyone
recommend one in particular that stands out to do simple changes to
existing pages?

Thank you,

QB

http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtmlfreeware/

I kind of like Ace. After the trial period you lose a few things but
for me that's not been a problem. Numerous files can be opened at the
same time and will be there the next time you open it.

Indenting, color coded coding, let's you know right away if you didn't
enter the code word right. Preserves what YOU entered, does not add
stuff you don't want. Built in page viewer.

richard

If there are any computer swap meets near you, you can find older copies
of front page pretty cheap. I bought mine about 6 years ago for $2. I
bought the Expression Web which is the FrontPage upgrade for $89 or
something close to that.

The Expression web comes with an FTP that is easy to use. I tried
earthlinks FTP for some time and it is a pain. I know there are some
free FTP programs out there but I did not find ones I liked.

You should trash FP pre 2000. It was garbage then and over the years
it is still garbage. Seamonkey and Kompozer do better jobs.

For FTP try filezilla.

Roy A.

If there are any computer swap meets near you, you can find older copies
of front page pretty cheap.  I bought mine about 6 years ago for $2.  I
bought the Expression Web which is the FrontPage upgrade for $89 or
something close to that.

Expression Web is not just a upgrade of FrontPage. It requires an
.NET Framework. If you're going down that path I would suggest
e.g. Delphi for PHP (http://www.codegear.com/products/delphi/php).
The Expression web comes with an FTP that is easy to use.  I tried
earthlinks FTP for some time and it is a pain.  I know there are some
free FTP programs out there but I did not find ones I liked.

You don't have to go to a computer swap to get a cheap HTML editor
with a FTP that is easy to use. For $89 you can buy several:

http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

On windows you can use e.g. Notepad++ and Filezilla for free.
Kompozer also has an easy to use FTP.

On linux I would go for Quanta Plus. With php-includes it
works, for me, as well as Dreamweaver.

I wouldn't dream of using most of the features. But for
simple changes like entering paragraphs, it's easier in
an non-html mode.

Bergamot

Roy said:
You don't have to go to a computer swap to get a cheap HTML editor
with a FTP that is easy to use. For $89 you can buy several:

http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

If their own page is any indication of the quality of products they're
reviewing, than I'd say avoid everything mentioned on that page.

Some of them I'm familiar with and can say with certainty: avoid them at
any cost. WebEasy and Site Spinner for sure. I don't have high hopes for
the rest.
On windows you can use e.g. Notepad++ and Filezilla for free.

I don't care for Filezilla myself. The free version of CoreFTP is less
cluttered, I think.