    2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
    any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
    would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Dustin Price, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Dustin Price

    Chris Smith Guest

    Dustin Price <> wrote:
    > What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
    > effectively and efficiently.

    There is exactly one extremely good book that fits that description.

    Effective Java, Joshua Bloch, Addison Wesley

    Josh's other book (written with Neal Gafter, who has posted here in the
    past but I don't know if he still reads) called "Java Puzzlers" is also
    very worthwhile. It's more about what NOT to do than what to do, but it
    also gives you a very solid grounding in the language definition.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Dustin Price wrote:
    > I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
    > have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
    > programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
    > learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.
    >
    > What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
    > effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
    > 2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
    > any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
    > would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    short answer:

    Effective Java
    Joshua Blochs

    Francesco Devittori, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Dustin Price wrote:
    > I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
    > have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
    > programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
    > learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.
    >
    > What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
    > effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
    > 2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
    > any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
    > would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Just to add to the rest of the chorus...Effective Java by Josh Bloch.
    Take a look at the other recommendations here:
    http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Dustin Price

    zero Guest

    "Dustin Price" <> wrote in

    > I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
    > have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
    > programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
    > learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.
    >
    > What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
    > effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
    > 2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
    > any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
    > would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    In addition to what the others suggested, I would say you'll also need an
    introduction to the Java-specific language features if you're new to Java.
    Most of Java is very familiar for someone who comes from other OO
    languages, but there are some things that can confuse you - and Bloch's
    Effective Java predates many of those. For the latest enhancements have a
    look at:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/language/

    --
    Beware the False Authority Syndrome

    zero, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Dustin Price

    Dustin Price Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > There is exactly one extremely good book that fits that description.
    >
    > Effective Java, Joshua Bloch, Addison Wesley
    >
    > Josh's other book (written with Neal Gafter, who has posted here in the
    > past but I don't know if he still reads) called "Java Puzzlers" is also
    > very worthwhile. It's more about what NOT to do than what to do, but it
    > also gives you a very solid grounding in the language definition.

    This sounds like exactly the book I'm looking for. Thanks!

    Dustin Price, Dec 22, 2005