Good Intermediate/Advanced Java book

Dustin Price

I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.

What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris Smith

Dustin Price said:
What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
effectively and efficiently.

There is exactly one extremely good book that fits that description.

Effective Java, Joshua Bloch, Addison Wesley

Josh's other book (written with Neal Gafter, who has posted here in the
past but I don't know if he still reads) called "Java Puzzlers" is also
very worthwhile. It's more about what NOT to do than what to do, but it
also gives you a very solid grounding in the language definition.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Francesco Devittori

Dustin said:
I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.

What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

short answer:

Effective Java
Joshua Blochs

TechBookReport

Dustin said:
I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.

What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just to add to the rest of the chorus...Effective Java by Josh Bloch.
Take a look at the other recommendations here:
http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

zero

I am looking into getting a good Intermediate/Advanced Java book. I
have been programming for quite a while and do not really need to learn
programming basics, or how to use OOP. It seems every other book is
learn in 21 days, .. for dummies, .. for the complete beginner.

What I am looking for mostly is a book that explains how to use Java
effectively and efficiently. I was looking at the CORE Java 2: Volume
2 book as I had good experience with the CORE PHP book. If anyone has
any comments about this book, or any other books that you recommend it
would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In addition to what the others suggested, I would say you'll also need an
introduction to the Java-specific language features if you're new to Java.
Most of Java is very familiar for someone who comes from other OO
languages, but there are some things that can confuse you - and Bloch's
Effective Java predates many of those. For the latest enhancements have a
look at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/language/

Dustin Price

Chris said:
There is exactly one extremely good book that fits that description.

Effective Java, Joshua Bloch, Addison Wesley

Josh's other book (written with Neal Gafter, who has posted here in the
past but I don't know if he still reads) called "Java Puzzlers" is also
very worthwhile. It's more about what NOT to do than what to do, but it
also gives you a very solid grounding in the language definition.

This sounds like exactly the book I'm looking for. Thanks!