Good Java IDE

Paul Aspinall

Hi
I'm fairly new to Java, having previously worked with MS projects in Visual
Studio.

I love Visual Studio, and the Intellisense feature which lets you easily see
the methods / properties directly in the IDE when coding.

Is there a good IDE for Java, which gives Intellisense style features?

Thanks

Paul

ramkumar.menon

Paul,

JDeveloper 10.1.3 from Oracle is really rich in features. If you are
planning to work on Java/Web Services/J2EE or XML Projects, JDeveloper
is THE tool to use.
Idea from IntelliJ is a cool Java Editor with lot of Intellisense
features.Its one of the top rated.
Eclipse needs no mention either.

rgds,
Menon

thehuby

I think that JBuilder is a great environment personally, although I
have not had much experience of other commercial IDE's.

It uses an Intellisense style feature as well as a useful feature to
help with choosing import files when you try and use classes not
previously imported.

Hope this helps!

Rick
www.e-connected.com

Aerodyne

Paul,

Sun's Netbeans 4.1 also good & I'd recommend it over Eclipse IMHO.
Have also used IntelliJ... which is really excellent & probably one of
the best IDE's out there for Java I think.

HTH

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Paul Aspinall said:
Is there a good IDE for Java, which gives Intellisense style features?

All of them, really: JDeveloper, JBuilder, IDEA, NetBeans, Eclipse...

Though some are more manual in that regard than others; JDeveloper and
JBuilder both support "on the fly" expansion, on the others you mostly
have to press Ctrl+Space to get the possible expansions.

David Segall

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen said:
All of them, really: JDeveloper, JBuilder, IDEA, NetBeans, Eclipse...

Though some are more manual in that regard than others; JDeveloper and
JBuilder both support "on the fly" expansion, on the others you mostly
have to press Ctrl+Space to get the possible expansions.
NetBeans 4.1 waits a second or so before displaying the expansions. It
improves on the Microsoft IDE by displaying some descriptive
information about the currently highlighted choice.

Steve Sobol

Paul said:
I love Visual Studio, and the Intellisense feature which lets you easily see
the methods / properties directly in the IDE when coding.

Is there a good IDE for Java, which gives Intellisense style features?

Oh, great... start a holy war, why don't you. :)

I like Eclipse. While Microsoft's Intellisense technology isn't bad, Eclipse
goes even further with their system that doesn't happen to have a snappy
name like Microsoft's does. :) It really does everything that VS does and more.