    thanks,

    Bijoy
    , Dec 20, 2004

  2. Hal Rosser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am a fairly experienced programmer. I've predominantly written web
    > apps using Microsoft technologies and am looking to learn Java Server
    > Pages 2.0.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good book? Looking for a book which assumes that
    > the reader has a web development background - don't need a tutorial on
    > how/why pages need to be generated dynamically. Need a "how to build
    > web apps using JSP" type of book..
    >
    > thanks,

    here's one
    http://www.murach.com/books/jsps/index.htm

    You'll like servlets and jsp better than asp - after a while

    ---
    Hal Rosser, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Sudsy Guest

    wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good book? Looking for a book which assumes that
    > the reader has a web development background - don't need a tutorial on
    > how/why pages need to be generated dynamically. Need a "how to build
    > web apps using JSP" type of book..

    I highly recommend "Advanced JavaServer Pages" by David M. Geary, ISBN
    0-13-030704-1. It dives right into custom tags and covers all the bases
    (i18n, templates, security, etc.) with aplomb.
    Sudsy, Dec 21, 2004
  4. IINET Guest

    The O'Reilly JSP 2 book is quite good. Has a heavy focus on JSTL/EL though,
    which I am not sure I liked so much - but I guess this is where we are
    headed??

    Andy

    IINET, Dec 22, 2004

    A good book, but "Advanced JavaServer Pages" specializes in
    pre-JSTL/JSP2 'custom tags'.

    I've read all of the these and more but if you only want one book then
    go with the one most readable to you.

    For general JSP books look at:-

    1. "Web Development with Java Server Pages" 2nd edition
    Duane K. Fields, Mark A. Kolb

    Not always easy to read but a thorough and useful book.

    Only JSP 1.2 but add JSTL knowledge and you'll know JSP 2.

    2. "Servlets and JSP: The J2EE Web Tier"
    Jayson Falkner, Kevin R Jones

    Easier to read than most, not so dry and reference-ish, a very good
    book.

    3. The O'Reilly's JSP book. 3rd edition
    Hans Bergsten.

    More reference-ish but good.

    4. Marty Hall's books:-
    "Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages". 1st edition. JSP 1.1 Available
    for free at his site.
    'More Servlets ..." Covers JSP 1.2
    "Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages". 2nd edition. JSP 2

    Good books, this series covers the API's better than most but the
    sample apps are very lame!

    Cheers,
    Alex Kay.
    , Dec 23, 2004
  6. Larry Hannay Guest

    I think that "JavaServer Pages" by Hans Bergsten (O'Reilly publisher) is
    definitely worth checking out.

    Larry Hannay, Dec 26, 2004