Good JSP 2.0 Book?

b_naick

I am a fairly experienced programmer. I've predominantly written web
apps using Microsoft technologies and am looking to learn Java Server
Pages 2.0.

Can anyone recommend a good book? Looking for a book which assumes that
the reader has a web development background - don't need a tutorial on
how/why pages need to be generated dynamically. Need a "how to build
web apps using JSP" type of book..

thanks,

Bijoy

Hal Rosser

I am a fairly experienced programmer. I've predominantly written web
apps using Microsoft technologies and am looking to learn Java Server
Pages 2.0.

Can anyone recommend a good book? Looking for a book which assumes that
the reader has a web development background - don't need a tutorial on
how/why pages need to be generated dynamically. Need a "how to build
web apps using JSP" type of book..

thanks,

here's one
http://www.murach.com/books/jsps/index.htm

You'll like servlets and jsp better than asp - after a while

Sudsy

Can anyone recommend a good book? Looking for a book which assumes that
the reader has a web development background - don't need a tutorial on
how/why pages need to be generated dynamically. Need a "how to build
web apps using JSP" type of book..

I highly recommend "Advanced JavaServer Pages" by David M. Geary, ISBN
0-13-030704-1. It dives right into custom tags and covers all the bases
(i18n, templates, security, etc.) with aplomb.

IINET

The O'Reilly JSP 2 book is quite good. Has a heavy focus on JSTL/EL though,
which I am not sure I liked so much - but I guess this is where we are
headed??

Andy

alex99

Hi,

A good book, but "Advanced JavaServer Pages" specializes in
pre-JSTL/JSP2 'custom tags'.

I've read all of the these and more but if you only want one book then
go with the one most readable to you.

For general JSP books look at:-

1. "Web Development with Java Server Pages" 2nd edition
Duane K. Fields, Mark A. Kolb

Not always easy to read but a thorough and useful book.

Only JSP 1.2 but add JSTL knowledge and you'll know JSP 2.

2. "Servlets and JSP: The J2EE Web Tier"
Jayson Falkner, Kevin R Jones

Easier to read than most, not so dry and reference-ish, a very good
book.

3. The O'Reilly's JSP book. 3rd edition
Hans Bergsten.

More reference-ish but good.

4. Marty Hall's books:-
"Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages". 1st edition. JSP 1.1 Available
for free at his site.
'More Servlets ..." Covers JSP 1.2
"Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages". 2nd edition. JSP 2

Good books, this series covers the API's better than most but the
sample apps are very lame!

Cheers,
Alex Kay.

Larry Hannay

I think that "JavaServer Pages" by Hans Bergsten (O'Reilly publisher) is
definitely worth checking out.