    i`m new to the java prog and i have some questions.
    1-is java a difficult subject?
    2-how can i write a good prog?
    rosyn, Feb 6, 2006

  2. rosyn

    Bart Cremers Guest

    1 - Java is as difficult as any other programming language.
    2 - Study, study and study some more

    Bart
    Bart Cremers, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Paulus de Boska, Feb 6, 2006
  4. rosyn

    Rhino Guest

    "rosyn" <> wrote in message
    > i`m new to the java prog and i have some questions.
    > 1-is java a difficult subject?

    "Difficult" is a totally subjective word: what's difficult for me may be
    trivial for you and vice versa.

    I found Java to have the biggest learning curve of any language I've ever
    learned, by far. In other words, it took me considerably longer to feel
    confident that I knew what I was doing with Java than it had ever taken with
    previous languages.

    On the other hand, Java does so much more than any other language I've ever
    used that it isn't surprising that it takes longer to learn than other
    languages. The huge number of things that I can do with Java is its biggest
    attraction for me; most of the other languages I've used have only a small
    percentage of the capabilities that Java has.

    > 2-how can i write a good prog?

    There are several elements to the answer to that question. In no particular
    order:

    - Ask your customers the questions that will help clarify in your mind what
    the program needs to do and then listen to them. There is a strong tendency
    among programmers to write the program that you think they should have
    rather than what they actually want; you'll make them happier if you give
    them what THEY want and if the program does what they want in the way they
    want to do it.
    - Learn your programming language and make sure you study both the theory
    and the language statements. You will never write terribly good Java code if
    you don't learn Object Oriented theory (analysis and design), no matter how
    well you know the statements that make up the language. Learn what Design
    Patterns are and when to use them.
    - Don't be afraid to ask questions of people who know more than you. This
    newsgroup is a good place to go with Java questions and has many very
    helpful and knowledgeable people on it.

    I could go on but that's a start.

    --
    Rhino
    Rhino, Feb 6, 2006
  5. rosyn

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 6 Feb 2006 02:41:03 -0800, "rosyn" <>

    >i`m new to the java prog and i have some questions.
    >1-is java a difficult subject?
    >2-how can i write a good prog?

    Some people have a knack for programming. Some will never be able to
    do it. It requires extreme attention to detail.

    So for some it is fun, others impossible.

    If you have abundant curiosity and lots of patience it will do you
    well.

    To learn to write well, post your code. Let others critique it. If
    you have a thick skin, you will learn quickly. Look at the code
    written by Sun and other acknowledged good coders. Copy their style.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Feb 6, 2006
  6. "rosyn" <> wrote in message
    > i`m new to the java prog and i have some questions.
    > 1-is java a difficult subject?
    > 2-how can i write a good prog?

    Learning to program in any language should be challenging. Depending on
    your drive/interest/determination that challenging aspect can either be
    engaging or frustrating.

    Now depending on what you are trying to do, Java can be a lot easier than
    some other language. For instance if you want to display a picture and then
    have a yes no box with a question, this would be MUCH MUCH easier to do in
    Java than say . . assembler. (You may find this true of most abstract
    programming tasks.)

    As for how to write a good one. You just need a lot of practice - and don't
    be afraid to rewrite something (from scratch) if you feel you may have "done
    it the wrong way".

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Feb 6, 2006
  7. rosyn

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Look at the code
    > written by Sun and other acknowledged good coders. Copy their style.

    Not everyone agrees that Sun is among the "Good" coders; though if
    you're just starting out, Sun is probably better than you. If you see some
    of Sun's code that doesn't make sense, don't be afraid to ask about it.
    Maybe it's one of the lousier parts of their code.

    For example, it's generally considered a bad idea to create an interface
    that doesn't define anything, but Sun did exactly that with their
    Serializable interface.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Feb 6, 2006
  8. rosyn

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "rosyn" <> wrote in message
    > i`m new to the java prog and i have some questions.
    > 1-is java a difficult subject?
    > 2-how can i write a good prog?

    answers
    1. yep - of course its hard - that's why we make the big bucks.
    2. one line at a time - and practice, practice, practice.
    Hal Rosser, Feb 6, 2006
  9. rosyn

    megagurka Guest

    As soon as you've learned the basics of Java, get a copy of "Effective
    Java" so you learn to do things correctly. And if you are serious about
    learning how develop software, you shouldn't concentrate too much on
    the programming language (that is the easy part). Instead you should
    learn about object oriented programming, design patterns, extreme
    programming, refactoring etc. But even if you know all the theory you
    will make lots of mistakes in your first projects. So, learn from them.

    /JN
    megagurka, Feb 7, 2006