Good notation for showing MVC interactions (i.e. Django)

Alec Taylor

Good morning,

I'm developing various websites and functionality to cater to various
different use-cases up in Django.

Is there a good notation for showing what behaviour is at each stage,
i.e. using swimlanes?

I use BPMN 2 notation for everything, but I feel I am overusing this,
and that there would be a more suitable one for this.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

Roy Smith

Alec Taylor said:
Is there a good notation for showing what behaviour is at each stage,
i.e. using swimlanes?

I use BPMN 2 notation for everything, but I feel I am overusing this,
and that there would be a more suitable one for this.

Swimlanes? You mean like http://tinyurl.com/caqf3h5 ? Never used them.
Never used BPMN either. I've found most of these heavyweight modeling
tools to be more of a hinderance than a help. People get all wrapped up
in making pretty diagrams when they should be spending more time writing
code.

I find that when thinking something through at the whiteboard with
another developer, the most common diagram I'll use is a UML sequence
diagram. I drew one on the wall just yesterday. Here's one
(http://www.panix.com/~roy/SongzaSessionHandoff.pdf) I did up a bit
fancier a while ago while working through a gnarly design problem.

As with most things in UML, I find the basic concept useful and don't
sweat the details of what different shaped arrowheads mean or what
flavor of rectangle I'm supposed to be drawing.

Alec Taylor

An example of a BPMN2 diagram with swimlanes, which I created for a
project: http://i40.tinypic.com/262r6nr.jpg

What I am looking for is something suited towards showing architecture
bounds and the interactions between each section of MVC.
I find that when thinking something through at the whiteboard with
another developer, the most common diagram I'll use is a UML sequence
diagram. I drew one on the wall just yesterday. Here's one
(http://www.panix.com/~roy/SongzaSessionHandoff.pdf) I did up a bit
fancier a while ago while working through a gnarly design problem.

That's a good notation, and one which I will use for RESTful API modelling.

I sometimes use use-case diagrams and quite rarely also use class
diagrams and ER Diagrams.

I use BPMN2 to show logic to both technical and non-technical team-members.