Good, open-source, CMS tools?

Jim Cochrane

[I've posted this question in a couple other NGs, such as
comp.lang.java.softwaretools and the linux dev.apps group, but am not
getting much in the way of responses. I think it's relevant to this
group, but if there is a more appropriate group, I'd appreciate hearing
about it.]

I'm working with a startup non-profit org. that will be developing
open-source software for government organizations and we are evaluating
current possibilities for web development tools.

We would be grateful for any advice or information on available
open-source web application servers, content management systems,
content management frameworks, and other related web-development tools.
Java will probably be our main development language, so we are looking for
tools that support and integrate well with Java.

We will probably be, at least to start with, developing systems in the
small to medium-sized range and so we probably will not need a complete
J2EE, EJB solution, such as JBoss, at least not in the beginning.
But we probably will be using Apache and Tomcat, and, not surprisingly,
Linux will be our development and deployment OS.

Based on what we know so far, our main criteria are, in order of
importance:

- open-source and/or free-software tools;
- tools that support a Java/JSP-based platform;
- tools that provide support for small-to-moderate enterprise-level
applications (that is, not large, heavily distributed J2EE systems,
but, nevertheless, systems that are fairly substantial);
- tools that provide a fair amount of flexibility with respect
to working with other tools, languages, etc;
- and a toolset that works well for both small, undemanding web
applications and larger, more demanding ones.

The last item is not essential, since for really small apps we could use
something simple and light like mod_php or mod_perl, although being able to
use the same toolset for all of our apps would probably be an advantage.

Here is a list of what we're aware of so far, though we have not yet had
the chance to look into any of these technologies in any detail.
(Apologies for naming or categorization errors.)

CMFs: Struts, Webwork, Tapestry, JavaServer Faces

CMSs: OpenCMS, Red Hat CCM, eXo

Finally, although it may not be necessary, it might be helpful to find
something that provides some support for web-services development.

I apologize for not being more informed about such technologies so that
I can give a better idea about what we're looking for and how to ask
about it. I'm hoping to learn a lot more as we go along, but to start
with, I'm not as knowledgeable as I could be.

[I've come across a few more java-based CMSs today: magnolia, MMBase,
and a couple others. Though not a CMS, Beehive looks like it may also be
worth looking into, although it appears to be not yet completed.]

Thanks very much!

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_G=E9din?=

Jim said:
CMSs: OpenCMS, Red Hat CCM, eXo

There is also Jahia (not completely free but really worth to see) and Cofax.
If you understand french, have a look at www.smile.fr which provide useful
information on CMSs.

You have good CMS written in php too (SPIP, Typo3) or python/zope (Plone,
Nuxeo).

My understanding is that there is no perfect tool yet and it is very hard to
select one because they cannot be compared. In addition, there is no
compliance between them and if you start with one, you are quite stuck with
it:-(

Good luck

Frederic