Good Picture Editor

James Smith

Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, James Smith ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

Erm... but Gimp *is* free!

Cheers,
Nige

David Dorward

James said:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

Try Gimp - its EXACTLY like Gimp, but free!

Toby Inkster

James said:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

The GIMP is free.

James Smith

Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

James.

David Dorward

James said:
Alright, so it's late at night for me

Please don't top post.
, I know gimp is free. but I can't
seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

Well, 30 seconds with Google found me:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2001/article121.shtml

.... which shows how to do that about 1/3rd of the way down the page. (OK, so
it fades to a different image... just make that other images 100%
transparent).

Deryck

James Smith said:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

Try Picasa, www.picasa.com. It's more of a photo organiser but has some
features for editing pictures: red-eye removal, cropping, etc, etc.

Youre right that Paintshop Pro isnt free but you can sometimes find an
earlier release of it free on the front of PC magazine covers. You still pay
for the magazine of course. :)

HTH

Deryck

Toby Inkster

James said:
Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

That's easy.

1. Start the GIMP.

2. File > New > whatever size you like.

3. Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel.

4. Hit Ctrl+K.

5. Hit "L".

6. In the "Tool Options" dialogue box, click the "Gradient" button.

7. Select "FG to transparent".

8. On the main dialogue box, select the colour you want as a foreground
colour.

9. Drag a line in the image.

(These instructions are based on The GIMP 2.0pre3. Other versions may
differ slightly.)

e.g. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/fade2transparent.html
(Note the purple image fades into transparency. Tested in Opera 7.53 Linux.)

Blinky the Shark

James said:
Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

Along with the answers you've received from others:

comp.graphics.apps.gimp for next time.