    James Smith Guest

    Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)
    James Smith, Aug 22, 2004

  2. James Smith

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 22, 2004

  3. While the city slept, James Smith () feverishly
    typed...

    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    > Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

    Erm... but Gimp *is* free!

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Aug 22, 2004
  4. James Smith wrote:

    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    > Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

    Try Gimp - its EXACTLY like Gimp, but free!

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Aug 22, 2004
  5. James Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    James Smith wrote:

    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    > Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

    The GIMP is free.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 22, 2004
  6. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
    seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
    does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

    James.

    James Smith, Aug 22, 2004
  7. James Smith wrote:

    > Alright, so it's late at night for me

    Please don't top post.

    > , I know gimp is free. but I can't
    > seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
    > does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

    Well, 30 seconds with Google found me:
    http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2001/article121.shtml

    .... which shows how to do that about 1/3rd of the way down the page. (OK, so
    it fades to a different image... just make that other images 100%
    transparent).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Aug 22, 2004
  8. James Smith

    Deryck Guest

    "James Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    > Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

    Try Picasa, www.picasa.com. It's more of a photo organiser but has some
    features for editing pictures: red-eye removal, cropping, etc, etc.

    Youre right that Paintshop Pro isnt free but you can sometimes find an
    earlier release of it free on the front of PC magazine covers. You still pay
    for the magazine of course. :)

    HTH

    Deryck
    Deryck, Aug 22, 2004
  9. James Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    James Smith wrote:

    > Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
    > seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
    > does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

    That's easy.

    1. Start the GIMP.

    2. File > New > whatever size you like.

    3. Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel.

    4. Hit Ctrl+K.

    5. Hit "L".

    6. In the "Tool Options" dialogue box, click the "Gradient" button.

    7. Select "FG to transparent".

    8. On the main dialogue box, select the colour you want as a foreground
    colour.

    9. Drag a line in the image.

    (These instructions are based on The GIMP 2.0pre3. Other versions may
    differ slightly.)

    e.g. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/fade2transparent.html
    (Note the purple image fades into transparency. Tested in Opera 7.53 Linux.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 22, 2004
  10. James Smith wrote:

    > Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
    > seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
    > does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

    Along with the answers you've received from others:

    comp.graphics.apps.gimp for next time.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New Link - Aug 19
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2004
  11. James Smith

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <412894dd$0$31399$>,
    says...
    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    > Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)

    Gimp is free
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Aug 22, 2004
  12. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    WebcastMaker wrote:

    > In article <412894dd$0$31399$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
    >>Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :)
    >>

    > Gimp is free

    Good job really... would anyone pay for that?!

    *ducks*

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 23, 2004
  13. James Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Good job really... would anyone pay for [The GIMP]?!

    I would. Probably up to about £30.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 23, 2004
  14. While the city slept, Toby Inkster ()
    feverishly typed...

    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> Good job really... would anyone pay for [The GIMP]?!

    > I would. Probably up to about £30.

    Ooh, go on! Splash out! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige