Good Python IDE

Sourabh Mhaisekar

Hello All,
I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.

Features I am looking for
* Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
* Support for PyGtk and PyQt
* Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS

Thanks !

- Sourabh

Tetsuya

Hello All,
I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK
and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which
gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.

Features I am looking for
* Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
* Support for PyGtk and PyQt
* Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS

Thanks !

- Sourabh

I develop only under GNU/Linux (using Vim, with some plugins like
python-jedi and supertab for autocompletion, Gundo for undo management
in a *very* smart way, etc..), but in the recent past I tried various
IDEs. They're all ugly and/or cumbersome, but it seemed to me that the
less ugly maybe is PyCharm, you could try that.

Colin J. Williams

I develop only under GNU/Linux (using Vim, with some plugins like
python-jedi and supertab for autocompletion, Gundo for undo management
in a *very* smart way, etc..), but in the recent past I tried various
IDEs. They're all ugly and/or cumbersome, but it seemed to me that the
less ugly maybe is PyCharm, you could try that.
I would suggest that you look at PyScripter for Windows or Linuz when
Wine is available.

See: http://www.decalage.info/en/python/tutorial

Colin W.

Monte Milanuk

Lots of good options out there... currently I'm liking spyder or eclipse
a lot.

Tim Johnson

* Sourabh Mhaisekar said:
Hello All,
I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.

Features I am looking for
* Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
* Support for PyGtk and PyQt
* Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS
I haven't developed on windows in over 10 years, but as I recall,
pythonwin worked well for me at the time. I don't recall whether
the 2nd and 3rd features you refer to were available, but the
first was. It is easy enough to try.

Now I use vim for all of my work. I pretty-much hand-rolled my own
IDE, which is typical of vimmers.

Tetsuya

Now I use vim for all of my work. I pretty-much hand-rolled my own
IDE, which is typical of vimmers.

I did like you, too.
I use vim for everything: coding in python, django, js, html, C/C++,
bash, even email (inside mutt, of course).
Start with an empty ~/.vimrc, and then build up the configuration day by
day, adding one single plugin at a time, driven by your daily needs,
it's the better thing to do IMHO.
Thus vim becomes a full fledged IDE for everything, and it does it
*your* way, not *its* way.

BTW, vim is available also under Windows.

Tim Johnson

* Tetsuya said:
I did like you, too.
I use vim for everything: coding in python, django, js, html, C/C++,
bash, even email (inside mutt, of course).
Yes, Yes...
Start with an empty ~/.vimrc, and then build up the configuration day by
day, adding one single plugin at a time, driven by your daily needs,
it's the better thing to do IMHO.
Thus vim becomes a full fledged IDE for everything, and it does it
*your* way, not *its* way.
:) Great minds run in the same gutter ...
BTW, vim is available also under Windows.
Where I started using it.