    Cheers,

    TF
    , Mar 12, 2007

  2. bluejack Guest

    On Mar 12, 3:50 pm, wrote:
    > I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
    > than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
    > daily and needs to get back into C?

    I usually just need a good reference book in order to answer questions
    as they come up. K&R2 is generally thought to be good, but online I
    also use:

    A reasonably useful C library reference:
    http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

    And the comp.lang.c FAQ:
    http://c-faq.com/
    bluejack, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Flash Gordon Guest

    bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
    > On Mar 12, 3:50 pm, wrote:
    >> I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
    >> than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
    >> daily and needs to get back into C?

    > I usually just need a good reference book in order to answer questions
    > as they come up. K&R2 is generally thought to be good, but online I
    > also use:

    K&R2 is good.

    > A reasonably useful C library reference:
    > http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

    Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
    of the horrible terminology we see. For example, it talks about typecasting.

    In fact, having looked a bit further it seems riddled with errors at
    least some of which are fairly fundamental in my opinion. For example:
    | enum identifier {enumerator-list};
    | Identifier is a handle for identification, and is optional.
    | Enumerator-list is a list of variables to be created. They will be
    | constant integers. Each variable is given the value of the previous
    | variable plus 1. The first variable is given the value of 0

    I cannot imagine any way that the enumerations can be considered
    variables. It also uses the word "variables" in various other
    questionable ways.

    > And the comp.lang.c FAQ:
    > http://c-faq.com/

    That is a good reference.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Mar 13, 2007
  4. bluejack Guest

    On Mar 12, 5:58 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    > bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
    > > A reasonably useful C library reference:
    > > http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

    > Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
    > of the horrible terminology we see.

    Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. :) I use it when I need to
    find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
    memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
    please share!

    -b
    bluejack, Mar 13, 2007
  5. On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 20:12 -0700, bluejack wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 5:58 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    > > bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
    > > > A reasonably useful C library reference:
    > > > http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

    > > Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
    > > of the horrible terminology we see.

    > Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. :) I use it when I need to
    > find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
    > memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
    > please share!
    >
    > -b

    I use manpages. Mine even tell me whether they are ANSI C functions or
    POSIX ones, and the version of the applicable standard.
    Andrew Poelstra, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Flash Gordon Guest

    Andrew Poelstra wrote, On 13/03/07 04:37:
    > On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 20:12 -0700, bluejack wrote:

    >>> Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
    >>> of the horrible terminology we see.

    >> Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. :) I use it when I need to
    >> find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
    >> memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
    >> please share!

    > I use manpages. Mine even tell me whether they are ANSI C functions or
    > POSIX ones, and the version of the applicable standard.

    Several of the regulars have web sites with a lot of useful C material,
    and you can find a possibly incomplete list here
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:Home_pages

    In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
    C and C++ libraries here
    http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#Standard C Library

    Note that being included on the home pages page is not specifically an
    endorsement (nor is not being listed a "black mark", it just means no
    one has added the link), it is up to you to judge peoples worth from
    their posts here and the responses received.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Mar 13, 2007
  7. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
    > than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
    > daily and needs to get back into C?

    I find a hardcopy book better than online viewing. Two of the very
    best are _The C Programming Language Second Edition_ by Kernighan and
    Ritchie, and _C: A Reference Manual_ by Harbison and Steele. A more
    advanced book is _C Unleashed_ by Heathfield, Kirby et al.

    As far as online tutorials are concerned I'll recommend Steve Summit's
    one:

    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/>

    Also he maintains the very useful C FAQ:

    <http://www.c-faq.com/>

    There's also a clc "wiki":

    <http://clc-wiki.net/>

    Other resources include:

    <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/>
    <http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/>
    <http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/>
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/>
    <http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html>
    <http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/index.php>
    santosh, Mar 13, 2007
  8. bluejack Guest

    On Mar 12, 11:34 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    > In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
    > C and C++ libraries herehttp://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#Standard%20C%20Library

    Man, this Dinkumware site is awesome! I realize they are primarily
    documenting their own implementation of the libraries, but given that
    it is a complete implementation, the data seems pretty universally
    useful. And there's a ton of other great resources on there.

    It's funny how 98% of the time, Google is the best way to find stuff,
    but there are exceptions. In all my reference hunting, Google has
    never led me to a dinkumware page. And I recently scoured the net for
    good C++ STL references, going as deep as 10 pages into Google search
    results for many queries. Weird.
    bluejack, Mar 13, 2007
  9. santosh Guest

    bluejack wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 11:34 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    > > In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
    > > C and C++ libraries herehttp://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#Standard%20C%20Library

    <snip>

    > It's funny how 98% of the time, Google is the best way to find stuff,
    > but there are exceptions. In all my reference hunting, Google has
    > never led me to a dinkumware page. And I recently scoured the net for
    > good C++ STL references, going as deep as 10 pages into Google search
    > results for many queries. Weird.

    <OT>
    If you use the search term "C99 Standard library reference",
    dinkumware is the first hit.
    </OT>
    santosh, Mar 13, 2007
  10. Zhou Yan Guest

    How about Steele's C: A reference manual? Someone told me that it is a
    very famous book. I myself only know Steele's creation of Scheme. Just
    a suggestion.
    Zhou Yan, Mar 13, 2007
  11. bluejack Guest

    On Mar 13, 10:24 am, "santosh" <> wrote:
    > <OT>
    > If you use the search term "C99 Standard library reference",
    > dinkumware is the first hit.
    > </OT>

    Well, the art of google is all about using the right search terms.
    Guess my art needs a little work. Thanks to all for these additional
    references. Good stuff!
    bluejack, Mar 13, 2007
  12. Zhou Yan <> writes:
    > How about Steele's C: A reference manual? Someone told me that it is a
    > very famous book. I myself only know Steele's creation of Scheme. Just
    > a suggestion.

    That's Harbison & Steele, currently in its 5th edition. (The 5th
    edition, unlike the 4th edition or even K&R2, covers C99.)

    Keith Thompson, Mar 13, 2007