    =20

    Ron

    =20

    Steckly, Ron, Dec 14, 2007

  2. Steckly, Ron

    Chris Cable Guest

    Aptana Studio is a great IDE!

    http://www.aptana.com/

    Chris

    Chris Cable, Dec 14, 2007

  3. On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >

    > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
    > Anyone want to make some recommendations?
    >

    > Ron

    Ron,

    Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
    NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.

    I use Emacs and really enjoy it.

    Josh

    Joshua Schairbaum, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Steckly, Ron

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
    > On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >

    > > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
    > > Anyone want to make some recommendations?
    > >

    > > Ron
    > >

    > Ron,
    >
    > Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
    > NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.
    >
    > I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
    >
    > Josh

    There is also ActiveState's Komodo

    , Dec 14, 2007
  5. unknown wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
    >> >

    >> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
    >>
    >> Josh

    > There is also ActiveState's Komodo

    I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
    I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.

    gemblon (t.b.), Dec 14, 2007
  6. Steckly, Ron

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    On Dec 14, 5:20 pm, "gemblon (t.b.)" <> wrote:
    > unknown wrote:
    > > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote

    > >> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.

    > >> Josh

    > > There is also ActiveState's Komodo

    > I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
    > I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.

    I use Aptana on my XP and Ubuntu.

    Dejan Dimic, Dec 14, 2007
  7. Steckly, Ron

    Damjan Rems Guest

    I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
    NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.

    At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
    there.

    by
    TheR

    Damjan Rems, Dec 14, 2007
  8. i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
    fairly recently, and blogged about it.

    http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogspot.com/2007/10/gedit-for-ruby-and-everything-else-on.html

    great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.

    _c

    Christophe Mckeon, Dec 14, 2007
  9. Steckly, Ron

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    On Dec 14, 11:44 pm, Christophe Mckeon <>
    wrote:
    > i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
    > fairly recently, and blogged about it.
    >
    > http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogspot.com/2007/10/gedit-for-ruby-and...
    >
    > great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.
    >
    > _c
    >
    > Damjan Rems wrote:
    >
    > > I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
    > > NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.

    > > At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
    > > there.

    > > by
    > > TheR

    Moved with this post I install once again NetBeans 6.0.
    I must say that I am very pleased with it.
    Last time I was testing the some beta version and it was not match for
    Aptana IDE.

    Even I use Eclipse (Aptana) a lot I will stick to NetBeans for a while
    to see is it an IDE for me. Currently, I am impressed with code
    competition.

    You should try it too.

    Dejan Dimic, Dec 14, 2007
  10. Steckly, Ron

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    On Dec 15, 7:00 am, "Venkat" <> wrote:
    > "Dejan Dimic" <> wrote
    >
    > > Moved with this post I install once again NetBeans 6.0.
    > > I must say that I am very pleased with it.
    > > Last time I was testing the some beta version and it was not match for
    > > Aptana IDE.

    > I have it installed but found the syntax coloring to be very bad. Some
    > features implemented better than Aptana. Ignoring the Editor issues, are
    > there any compelling reasons to switch?
    >
    > > Even I use Eclipse (Aptana) a lot I will stick to NetBeans for a while
    > > to see is it an IDE for me. Currently, I am impressed with code
    > > competition.

    > You mean code completion?
    >
    > > You should try it too.

    > I will see if the updates changed anything.
    >
    > -Venkat

    Sorry for my typo error.

    It is good that it passes throughout all gems and you get code
    completion for all of them.
    This is good for first time usage of some new gem, ideal for
    beginner.

    Out of the box the color highlighting is the first thing that needs
    adjustment.

    Haven't find the import project option, but it is all new to me and
    perhaps just need some more exploration.

    I will try to get the best of NetBeans 6.0 before have my final
    judgment.

    Manville, the Aptana is my main Ruby and Ruby on Rails IDE.

    To be thoughtful for most of my everyday small Ruby scripts I use
    SciTE.
    There is no need to use these big guns when a plain editor can do the
    job right.

    Dejan Dimic, Dec 15, 2007
  11. Steckly, Ron

    MonkeeSage Guest

    On Dec 14, 9:31 am, "Steckly, Ron" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
    > Anyone want to make some recommendations?
    >
    > Ron

    I used to use gedit w/ some home-brewed python (blasphemy!)
    extensions. I currently use gvim. Modal editing is weird at first, but
    it grows on you. And there are lots of nifty plugins (and syntax
    hiliting themes) available. :)

    Regards,
    Jordan

    MonkeeSage, Dec 15, 2007
  12. Steckly, Ron

    Chrononaut Guest

    I use Scribes when developing on Linux, since it was pretty much the
    closest thing to TextMate I could find. NetBeans is nice if you have a
    powerful machine though.

    Chrononaut, Dec 16, 2007
  13. Steckly, Ron

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    After playing with NetBeans for some time developing some rails
    project of mine it makes me go back to my first love Aptana.

    At first it looks OK but I have some issues with it that I dislike a
    lot.
    As stated before, code completion is better in NetBeans. Passing thru
    all my gems it gives me the easy way to start using any of them. It
    takes some time to start but it works. That is ideal for a new comer.
    This could improve regarding the context but it's functional.
    Starting the server and unit testing is OK. Color highlighting can be
    adjustable to user's fashion.
    Over all it's a good and usable product.
    But, and there is always a but.
    There are some important things that are missing and ruin my
    perspective of this product.
    First, there is no way to rename the file extension if it's a known
    extension file type. So if you have rhtm file type and desire to
    change it to html.erb you must to OS shell to do so and click more
    couple of times while NetBeans complains about it.
    Second, only the generators are present, and not all of them. If you
    misspelled the model name in scaffold generator there is no way to
    call destroy to correct it. You must go to command prompt and do it
    outside of NetBeans IDE while it complains about it, or do it manually
    deleting all the generating files and removing mapping from routes
    file. Not a pleasant experience.
    There is also unsatisfied control on plug-in installation.
    I was so disappointed that I haven't tried the debugging capabilities.

    You should try it for your self to see if it suits your needs.

    Dejan Dimic, Dec 20, 2007
  14. Steckly, Ron

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
    > Anyone want to make some recommendations?

    I think you might well survive without any IDE for Ruby. It's not as if
    you absolutely need a complicated IDE - ruby done right is terse and
    readable.
    IDEs have some advantages but I found them all to have disadvantages,
    if only the level of complexity you need to understand with
    them - i remember when i first was presented to do a "projects" file
    with netbeans :)

    Marc Heiler, Dec 20, 2007
  15. Marc Heiler wrote:
    >> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
    >> Anyone want to make some recommendations?

    > I think you might well survive without any IDE for Ruby. It's not as if
    > you absolutely need a complicated IDE - ruby done right is terse and
    > readable.
    > IDEs have some advantages but I found them all to have disadvantages,
    > if only the level of complexity you need to understand with
    > them - i remember when i first was presented to do a "projects" file
    > with netbeans :)

    Well ... I like Komodo. In general, I don't think single-person projects
    need an IDE, nor do I think pair programmers who are well synchronized
    in thinking do. A more heterogeneous project team, on the other hand,
    has a *lot* to gain by using a *common* IDE and set of coding standards.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 21, 2007
  16. Steckly, Ron

    Nei Kai Guest

    I, too, don't think it's important to use IDE to edit/input ruby code,
    vim is good enough.
    But how do you guys debug ruby code? log/puts, or the native debug
    option of ruby command?
    Could anybody recommend some debugger for vim user?

    Best regards.
    ning

    Nei Kai, Dec 21, 2007
  17. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    ruby-debug (http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-debug/) does the bulk of what
    you'd expect in
    a debugger. (step into, step over, watch...etc)

    Some other nice walk-throughs include:
    http://www.datanoise.com/articles/2006/07/12/tutorial-on-ruby-debug
    http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/rdebug/ (cheatsheet)

    -Stephen

    Stephen Schor, Dec 21, 2007
  18. Steckly, Ron

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    On Dec 21, 5:41 am, Stephen Schor <> wrote:
    > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
    >
    > ruby-debug (http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-debug/) does the bulk of what
    > you'd expect in
    > a debugger. (step into, step over, watch...etc)
    >
    > Some other nice walk-throughs include:
    > http://www.datanoise.com/articles/2006/07/12/tutorial-on-ruby-debug
    > http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/rdebug/(cheatsheet)
    >
    > -Stephen
    >
    > On Dec 20, 2007 11:24 PM, Nei Kai <> wrote:
    >
    > > I, too, don't think it's important to use IDE to edit/input ruby code,
    > > vim is good enough.
    > > But how do you guys debug ruby code? log/puts, or the native debug
    > > option of ruby command?
    > > Could anybody recommend some debugger for vim user?

    > > Best regards.
    > > ning

    > > if

    > > > Well ... I like Komodo. In general, I don't think single-person projects
    > > > need an IDE, nor do I think pair programmers who are well synchronized
    > > > in thinking do. A more heterogeneous project team, on the other hand,
    > > > has a *lot* to gain by using a *common* IDE and set of coding standards.

    > > > That said, an awful lot of Rubyists are wedded to MacOS and TextMate. :)

    One thing that is done marvelously in Ruby and Ruby on Rails is that
    all development can be comfortable done using text editor and command
    prompt.
    That is the most desirable way of development.

    IDE could have some advantages specially in debugging but it is much
    better to have a good text editor then an IDE. We definitely sped most
    of time in text editor.

    You should be prepared to ad hock react on production server when
    things get wrong without a flourishing IDE.

    Dejan Dimic, Dec 21, 2007
  19. Steckly, Ron

    jonty Guest

    I have just started using Netbeans Ide 6.0

    Its java based so can run on any system. Tor Norbye has been involved
    and is selling it for rails work

    Excellent vid at
    http://mediacast.sun.com/share/cindo/TorNorbyeRubyWeblog.mov

    jonty, Dec 21, 2007