Good Ruby/LAMP Informational Sources

tom

Hi, I'm fairly new to Ruby with a background in web development using Java
and Zope. I've recently been attracted to Ruby On Rails, which has led me
to want to learn more about the advantages of using the LAMP stack in
general.

I've been experimenting with creating LAMP applications using Ruby (which
is pretty sweet by the way), and I would love to learn more about it in
general, but I can't find much on it. I've been to a bunch of Ruby sites
and seen a bunch of books, but they don't talk about LAMP. I've also seen
a lot of LAMP sites and books, but most of those focus on PHP.

Does anyone know of a good, Ruby-centric resource for learning about LAMP
development? At the very least, does anyone know of a good,
language-neutral, informational site in general for learning about LAMP
(other than onlamp.com)?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl

Brian McCallister

Well, LAMP is just [Linux|FreeBSD] Apache [MySQL|PostgreSQL] and
[PHP|Perl|Python]

So really, resources on FreeBSD, Apache, Ruby, and PostgreSQL ( FARP )
and you are good to go ;-)

MySQL and PostgreSQL both have solid documentation at their respective
sites. If you don't know your way around Apache or *nix very well yet,
I would suggest going to good vhosting company for hosting (
http://www.textdrive.com/ is good from what I hear) and setting up a
small, local, FreeBSD or Linux (I prefer FreeBSD, but it is arguably
less friendly to newcomers, if superior in every other way ;-)

FreeBSD
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
is SPECTACULAR
/UNIX Power Tools/ published by O'Reilly is best thing for learning
way around a shell

*nix in General
/UNIX System Administration Handbook/ by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, &
Hein
Excellent general *nix systems intro book
There is also a linux specific one if you go that way ;-)

Apache
Online: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
Most of the O'Reilly Apache books are good
/Apache: The Definitive Guide/, Laurie & Laurie is a good intro, if
showing its age ;-)
/The Apache Cookbook/, Bowen & ROUS is an excellent recipe/reference
guide

MySQL
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html
Cannot recommend any books =(

Ruby
You found the best place =)

PostgreSQL
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html
Cannot recommend any books =(

Databases in General
/An Introduction to Database Systems/, C. J. Date (not LAMPy (FARPy ?)
but excellent!)
Worth gaining a solid understanding of databases as in most FARPy apps
data is king.

-Brian

Tom Purl

Thanks a ton for the information, Brian! I wasn't specific enough with
my original question, but I agree with you: whay I originally meant to
ask was off topic. I'll try it at a different mailing list.