good sites for searching open source classes? ( something like CPANfor perl )

nntpman68

Hi,

As you might have seen from my previous question.
I'm not that used to Java.

When working with perl I always used CPAN http://www.cpan.org/ (a rather
huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
was searching for preexisting modules there.

Is there anything similiar in the java community?

thanks in advance for any pointers

Mark Space

nntpman68 said:
Hi,

As you might have seen from my previous question.
I'm not that used to Java.

When working with perl I always used CPAN http://www.cpan.org/ (a rather
huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
was searching for preexisting modules there.

From your last question, you need to learn more Java basics. The Java
API has many, many classes that will do many low level (and some middle
level) jobs for you.

You may wish to check out a good introductory book like _Learning Java_
by O'Reilly. There are also tutorials on Sun's web site:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

And Sang Shin, a Sun researcher and Java evangelist, maintains a website
with courses you can take for free. I think this would be the best
place for you to start.

<http://www.javapassion.com/>
<http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/>

That second link, the introductory Java course, is where I think you
should start.

Besides all this, there are repositories of Java code you can get, but I
think learning the basics is going to do you more good right now. No
sense looking all over the net for something Java already has built in.

Marcelo Morales

Hi,

As you might have seen from my previous question.
I'm not that used to Java.

When working with perl I always used CPANhttp://www.cpan.org/(a rather
huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
was searching for preexisting modules there.

Is there anything similiar in the java community?

thanks in advance for any pointers

ASAIK, there is not. However, I should point that the standard jdk
distribution is quite large and you probably can find what you're
looking. Also, the most used third party open source developments for
java are truly massive compared to perl's. The majority of the most
used open source libraries in Java are kind of hard to classify, have
project names (like perl language extensions), and often perform a
couple of different tasks.

There are also a huge amount of closed source libraries; e.g. IBM can
fill several CDs with ready to use closed source APIs that only exist
in Websphere World.

My local maven repo is 673M, and I'm only working with it for about 3
months!. The main maven repo is at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ (I
usually find out there is not enough software there), which will give
you a familiar sense of browsing perl modules... but not quite. Maybe
http://www.mvnrepository.com/ can replace some of your accustomed cpan
searching.

hope it helps

Lew

Unlike Perl, Java sports a gazillion sources of free or open-source code.
Some prominent ones:

<http://java.sun.com/>
<http://apache.org/>
<http://sourceforge.net/index.php>
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>

Aside from these and other repositories, many open-source Java projects are
big enough to have their own websites and organizations:

<https://glassfish.dev.java.net/>
<http://www.hibernate.org/>
<http://www.springframework.org/>
<http://labs.jboss.com/>

Many of the big players provide free versions of their big Java apps, too.

Nothing so centralized or monolithic as CPAN.