good sites for searching open source classes? ( something like CPANfor perl )

Discussion in 'Java' started by nntpman68, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. nntpman68

    nntpman68 Guest

    Hi,

    As you might have seen from my previous question.
    I'm not that used to Java.

    When working with perl I always used CPAN http://www.cpan.org/ (a rather
    huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
    was searching for preexisting modules there.

    Is there anything similiar in the java community?

    thanks in advance for any pointers

    nntpman68, Mar 10, 2008

  2. nntpman68

    Mark Space Guest

    Re: good sites for searching open source classes? ( something likeCPAN for perl )

    nntpman68 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > As you might have seen from my previous question.
    > I'm not that used to Java.
    >
    > When working with perl I always used CPAN http://www.cpan.org/ (a rather
    > huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
    > was searching for preexisting modules there.

    From your last question, you need to learn more Java basics. The Java
    API has many, many classes that will do many low level (and some middle
    level) jobs for you.

    You may wish to check out a good introductory book like _Learning Java_
    by O'Reilly. There are also tutorials on Sun's web site:

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

    And Sang Shin, a Sun researcher and Java evangelist, maintains a website
    with courses you can take for free. I think this would be the best
    place for you to start.

    <http://www.javapassion.com/>
    <http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/>

    That second link, the introductory Java course, is where I think you
    should start.

    Besides all this, there are repositories of Java code you can get, but I
    think learning the basics is going to do you more good right now. No
    sense looking all over the net for something Java already has built in.

    Mark Space, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Re: good sites for searching open source classes? ( something likeCPAN for perl )

    On Mar 10, 6:06 pm, nntpman68 <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > As you might have seen from my previous question.
    > I'm not that used to Java.
    >
    > When working with perl I always used CPANhttp://www.cpan.org/(a rather
    > huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
    > was searching for preexisting modules there.
    >
    > Is there anything similiar in the java community?
    >
    > thanks in advance for any pointers

    ASAIK, there is not. However, I should point that the standard jdk
    distribution is quite large and you probably can find what you're
    looking. Also, the most used third party open source developments for
    java are truly massive compared to perl's. The majority of the most
    used open source libraries in Java are kind of hard to classify, have
    project names (like perl language extensions), and often perform a
    couple of different tasks.

    There are also a huge amount of closed source libraries; e.g. IBM can
    fill several CDs with ready to use closed source APIs that only exist
    in Websphere World.

    My local maven repo is 673M, and I'm only working with it for about 3
    months!. The main maven repo is at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ (I
    usually find out there is not enough software there), which will give
    you a familiar sense of browsing perl modules... but not quite. Maybe
    http://www.mvnrepository.com/ can replace some of your accustomed cpan
    searching.

    hope it helps

    Marcelo Morales, Mar 10, 2008
  4. nntpman68

    Lew Guest

    nntpman68 wrote:
    >> When working with perl I always used CPANhttp://www.cpan.org/(a rather
    >> huge online archive of perl modules developed by the perl community) and
    >> was searching for preexisting modules there.
    >>
    >> Is there anything similiar in the java community?

    Unlike Perl, Java sports a gazillion sources of free or open-source code.
    Some prominent ones:

    <http://java.sun.com/>
    <http://apache.org/>
    <http://sourceforge.net/index.php>
    <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>

    Aside from these and other repositories, many open-source Java projects are
    big enough to have their own websites and organizations:

    <https://glassfish.dev.java.net/>
    <http://www.hibernate.org/>
    <http://www.springframework.org/>
    <http://labs.jboss.com/>

    Many of the big players provide free versions of their big Java apps, too.

    Nothing so centralized or monolithic as CPAN.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 11, 2008