Good Sites - who's got some examples?

William Tasso

Nicolai said:
PS: I just visited the site with Opera and got the same message.
Perhaps if every Opera user reading this would pay this site a visit,
stay there a second, and then leave again... heh, heh... will sure
look annoying when they take a look at their statistics and see that
a surprisingly large number of Opera users went to their site only to
be turned away. ;)

dime to a dollar they wont notice. if they're that clueless they probably
don't even look at the logs.

Nicolai P. Zwar

Michaelangelo said:
Yes, I realised I was giving another negative example but the point is I
don't go to websites to LOOK et them. I go for information or maybe to
acquire something - a purchase or a download of some kind. In the same
way I go to art galleries to look at the pictures, not to admire the
picture-frames.

I realize you don't GO to pages to LOOK at them. That's besides the
point. You don't buy a car to LOOK at it either, yet obviously some cars
you may find better LOOKING than others, and the way a car looks
definitely influences its sales. The way a web page LOOKS definitely
influences its popularity, too. A web page is not a picture frame, a web
page is more comparable to the layout of a magazine or a catalog. Of
course you read magazines or catalogs for the information and not
_because_ of the layout, but there are obviously some layouts and
designs that entice more people to read a magazine or to browse through
a catalog. The web is by now far more than just cut and dry readable
text information. So, all I would like to know is what you consider a
good LOOKING site, a site you think is cleverly and well designed.
That's a valid question just as it would be a valid question to ask for
a car that you consider good LOOKING. I wouldn't expect you to buy the
car just because of its design either.

EightNineThree

Whitecrest said:
Except on that other 30% right? So if that is your market, then it is
ok to use stuff like flash, and multi-media. Also, did they give a
breakdown of what that 70% considered to be entertainment? for example,
is looking at the Matrix movies web site considered entertainment or
information? It could be looked at either way. And in any event, that
30% is a mighty fine niche to have a piece of.

I happen to think that 100% is a nice niche, but maybe I'm just greedy...

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Isofarro

Nicolai said:
I realize you don't GO to pages to LOOK at them.

I don't think you do. The design is irrelevant. What matters is the
readability and accessibility of the content.
So, all I would like to know is what you consider a
good LOOKING site, a site you think is cleverly and well designed.

Irrelevant really. About the same as asking a nutritionalist which cereal
box artwork they like - and pretending it is such a big deal.

Chris Morris

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
coders). I am basically just curious about what some of the regulars
here would consider WOWIE! examples for _design_. You know, matters of

The only one I've seen recently that impressed me and made me think
'how did they do that' has been http://www.tantek.com/map.html

It may not look incredibly fancy, but getting that effect without
images, tables, flash, or anything other than CSS and HTML, is
impressive.

Whitecrest

I don't think you do. The design is irrelevant. What matters is the
readability and accessibility of the content.

No, what matters is that you present the information in a manner that
makes you the most money. If that includes Flash, or multi media, then
you do that. If my site makes more money using flash, than not using
it. Why would I not want to use flash?

Whitecrest

I happen to think that 100% is a nice niche, but maybe I'm just greedy...

And in a dream world, you can have that. But in reality not every
product in the world is marketed at every single consumer in the world.

Whitecrest

The only one I've seen recently that impressed me and made me think
'how did they do that' has been http://www.tantek.com/map.html
It may not look incredibly fancy, but getting that effect without
images, tables, flash, or anything other than CSS and HTML, is
impressive.

So we should all strive for that "May not look incredibly fancy" effect?

Nicolai P. Zwar

Isofarro said:
Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:

I don't think you do.

Then you are both presumptuous and wrong.
The design is irrelevant.

That's what you think. But you are both presumptuous and wrong again.
What matters is the
readability and accessibility of the content.

[ ] You have understood the original request.
[x] You have not understood the original request.
Irrelevant really.

To whom? Obviously not to you, as you seem it relevant enough to answer
to this thread just to point out once more the tired old mantra that
what matters is the content, something that anybody who has spend any
time in this group has read three times a day, something that is pretty
much self evident, and something that nobody here has disputed.
About the same as asking a nutritionalist which cereal
box artwork they like - and pretending it is such a big deal.

First, who has pretended that anything is a big deal? Secondly, they
don't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on the box artwork of
cereals if it were irrelevant.
No one forces you to participate if you are unable to answer such a
simple question as to what pages you like for their design. Do you have
such an example?

Mark Jones

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
I realize you don't GO to pages to LOOK at them. That's besides the
point. You don't buy a car to LOOK at it either, yet obviously some cars
you may find better LOOKING than others, and the way a car looks
definitely influences its sales.

I most certainly buy a car to look at it as well as to drive it.

The same goes for web pages. I prefer a site that shows
off the work of the designer as well as presenting useful
information. Information presented on a site that looks
good is more appealing to me than one that is more
simple in appearance.

Mark Jones

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
No one forces you to participate if you are unable to answer such a
simple question as to what pages you like for their design. Do you have
such an example?

Here is one that I like. I am sure that the zealots on here
will instantly roll their eyes.

http://www.subaru.com/

Mark Jones

Isofarro said:
The design of a website is irrelevant, all that matters is its content and
its readability. Anything that works properly on the world wide web is a
good design.
If you truly believe this, then I would never want you near
a web site that I am involved with. Design is a critical
element for most people who want a site built and this is
expressed in the basic request to "Design me a web site."

Most people have the design aspect as one of the most
important things they consider when requesting that a
site be built.

Isofarro

Whitecrest said:
Why would I not want to use flash?

If it prevented the purpose of bringing the visitor to your website, you'd
be a real wombat for chosing Flash.

Isofarro

Nicolai said:
First, who has pretended that anything is a big deal?

Considering you've asked the identical question at least three times in this
very thread, its certainly evident you are attaching some importance of
design regardless of pointers to that contradiction.
Secondly, they
don't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on the box artwork of
cereals if it were irrelevant.

An idiot and his money are soon parted.
No one forces you to participate if you are unable to answer such a
simple question as to what pages you like for their design. Do you have
such an example?

The design of a website is irrelevant, all that matters is its content and
its readability. Anything that works properly on the world wide web is a
good design.

So what website do you like for its Content-Expiry header?