    novice.

    Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
    http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERS...econdary=YES&Template=BOL_subcat_BOOK_EN_1476

    Lennart, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Lennart wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn python in
    > my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is buying a good book.
    > But wich? There are many ...
    >
    > I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
    > because i've to order more books by them. I'm familiar with html & php and
    > basic (in the good old days). It has to be a newbie book, but not a book
    > what i don't need anymore when i've got some skills. I.e. the learning
    > curve of the book should be linear. A kind of book wich i could use as a
    > novice.
    >
    > Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
    > http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERS...econdary=YES&Template=BOL_subcat_BOOK_EN_1476

    Two excellent books match your criteria:

    Dive Into Python (review: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0103.html) -
    also available as a free download.

    Learning Python (review: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html)

    Both are recommended for beginners but have a reasonable level of depth.
    They're clear, enthusiastic and well-written.

    HTH

    --
    TechBookReport - Programming http://www.techbookreport.com/ProgIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Jul 5, 2005

  3. On Tuesday 05 July 2005 11:32, Lennart wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn python in
    > my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is buying a good book.
    > But wich? There are many ...
    >
    > I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
    > because i've to order more books by them. I'm familiar with html & php and
    > basic (in the good old days). It has to be a newbie book, but not a book
    > what i don't need anymore when i've got some skills. I.e. the learning
    > curve of the book should be linear. A kind of book wich i could use as a
    > novice.
    >
    > Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
    > http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_Brow
    >seCatalog-View;sid=nyuhO3sz8k2hODn5OfqfDJvrcywRiGQwhPU=?Section=BOOK_EN&Cate
    >goryContent=NJqR5Kpb0soAAADqmW%2eZypJb&OpenCategory=HwqR5Kpb8AUAAADqVW6ZypJb
    >&CategoryLeftpanel=BOOK_EN%2eCATEGORY00000000&Secondary=YES&Template=BOL_sub
    >cat_BOOK_EN_1476

    I've taken up learning python over the summer as well.
    http://safari.oreilly.com/ is a website which sells IT books for on-line
    viewing. They charge $20 per month and you get 10 "slots" on your books
    shelf. You can get anybook you want, some books take 2 slots, some 1 slot,
    and some are even half of a slot.

    They have a 14 day free trial as well, its really worth giving it a whirl
    (free books!!). It's totally 100% over the internet (or in downloadable PDF
    format), its so great.

    Patrick Rutkowski, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Lennart

    Lennart Guest

    With Dive Into Python in an other language i can learn python & the
    russian language :) Thanks anyway

    Now i can learn python Op Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:43:03 +0100 schreef
    TechBookReport:

    Lennart, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Lennart enlightened us with:
    > Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn
    > python in my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is
    > buying a good book. But wich? There are many ...

    http://www.diveintopython.org/ - I read it during the weekend, and
    it's a very good book. Clearly written, good examples and a healthy
    dose of humor.

    > I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
    > because i've to order more books by them.

    Dive Into Python can be freely downloaded.

    > Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)

    Yes there is. Check http://tinyurl.com/

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa

    Sybren Stuvel, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Lennart

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Fuzzyman, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Lennart

    Lennart Guest

    Op 6 Jul 2005 06:02:15 -0700 schreef Fuzzyman:

    > A book that will stay useful as a referene *after* you've used it to
    > learn is 'Programming Python'.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Fuzzy
    > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python

    A thanks!

    I've downloaded the book "dive into python". It costs me near 23 euro to
    print it by the copyshop (yes, i prefer paper - you can write on paper, you
    know :)

    Programming Python will I sell as a book that i read secondly, and use as a
    reference.

    Lennart, Jul 6, 2005
  8. Lennart ha scritto:

    > Programming Python will I sell as a book that i read secondly, and use as a
    > reference.

    I'd like to suggest also "Thinking like a CS in python": a schoolbook
    used in real classes to teach the basis of programming.

    --
    Renato
    --------------------------------

    Renato Ramonda, Jul 6, 2005
  9. Before buying a book, I suggest starting out with at least one of these
    beginners tutorials available in internet:

    - Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python by Josh Cogliati
    (honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/)
    - A Byte of Python by Swaroop CH (www.byteofpython.info)

    There are many others, but these ones are very good. The first one is
    best for someone who knows nothing about programing, and the second one
    is probably better for you, since you already have some experience.
    It's good for absolute beginners though.

    Books:
    - Learning Python by Mark Lutz
    - Core Python by Wesley Chun

    Regards,