Good starterbook for learning Python?

Lennart

Hi everybody,

Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn python in
my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is buying a good book.
But wich? There are many ...

I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
because i've to order more books by them. I'm familiar with html & php and
basic (in the good old days). It has to be a newbie book, but not a book
what i don't need anymore when i've got some skills. I.e. the learning
curve of the book should be linear. A kind of book wich i could use as a
novice.

Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERS...econdary=YES&Template=BOL_subcat_BOOK_EN_1476

TechBookReport

Lennart said:
Hi everybody,

Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn python in
my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is buying a good book.
But wich? There are many ...

I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
because i've to order more books by them. I'm familiar with html & php and
basic (in the good old days). It has to be a newbie book, but not a book
what i don't need anymore when i've got some skills. I.e. the learning
curve of the book should be linear. A kind of book wich i could use as a
novice.

Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERS...econdary=YES&Template=BOL_subcat_BOOK_EN_1476

Two excellent books match your criteria:

Dive Into Python (review: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0103.html) -
also available as a free download.

Learning Python (review: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html)

Both are recommended for beginners but have a reasonable level of depth.
They're clear, enthusiastic and well-written.

HTH

Patrick Rutkowski

Hi everybody,

Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn python in
my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is buying a good book.
But wich? There are many ...

I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
because i've to order more books by them. I'm familiar with html & php and
basic (in the good old days). It has to be a newbie book, but not a book
what i don't need anymore when i've got some skills. I.e. the learning
curve of the book should be linear. A kind of book wich i could use as a
novice.

Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)
http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_Brow
seCatalog-View;sid=nyuhO3sz8k2hODn5OfqfDJvrcywRiGQwhPU=?Section=BOOK_EN&Cate
goryContent=NJqR5Kpb0soAAADqmW%2eZypJb&OpenCategory=HwqR5Kpb8AUAAADqVW6ZypJb
&CategoryLeftpanel=BOOK_EN%2eCATEGORY00000000&Secondary=YES&Template=BOL_sub
cat_BOOK_EN_1476

I've taken up learning python over the summer as well.
http://safari.oreilly.com/ is a website which sells IT books for on-line
viewing. They charge $20 per month and you get 10 "slots" on your books
shelf. You can get anybook you want, some books take 2 slots, some 1 slot,
and some are even half of a slot.

They have a 14 day free trial as well, its really worth giving it a whirl
(free books!!). It's totally 100% over the internet (or in downloadable PDF
format), its so great.

Lennart

With Dive Into Python in an other language i can learn python & the
russian language :) Thanks anyway

Now i can learn python Op Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:43:03 +0100 schreef
TechBookReport:

Sybren Stuvel

Lennart enlightened us with:
Can someone advice me with the following issue: i want to learn
python in my summer vacation (i try to ...:) So, a good start is
buying a good book. But wich? There are many ...

http://www.diveintopython.org/ - I read it during the weekend, and
it's a very good book. Clearly written, good examples and a healthy
dose of humor.
I'm living in the Netherlands and I prefer a book from bol.com (see link)
because i've to order more books by them.

Dive Into Python can be freely downloaded.
Search here for python (sorry, there's no short link)

Yes there is. Check http://tinyurl.com/

Sybren

Lennart

Op 6 Jul 2005 06:02:15 -0700 schreef Fuzzyman:
A book that will stay useful as a referene *after* you've used it to
learn is 'Programming Python'.

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python

A thanks!

I've downloaded the book "dive into python". It costs me near 23 euro to
print it by the copyshop (yes, i prefer paper - you can write on paper, you
know :)

Programming Python will I sell as a book that i read secondly, and use as a
reference.

Renato Ramonda

Lennart ha scritto:
Programming Python will I sell as a book that i read secondly, and use as a
reference.

I'd like to suggest also "Thinking like a CS in python": a schoolbook
used in real classes to teach the basis of programming.

Luis M. Gonzalez

Before buying a book, I suggest starting out with at least one of these
beginners tutorials available in internet:

- Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python by Josh Cogliati
(honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/)
- A Byte of Python by Swaroop CH (www.byteofpython.info)

There are many others, but these ones are very good. The first one is
best for someone who knows nothing about programing, and the second one
is probably better for you, since you already have some experience.
It's good for absolute beginners though.

Books:
- Learning Python by Mark Lutz
- Core Python by Wesley Chun

Regards,