Good term for "super-project"

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Intransition, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. Intransition

    Intransition Guest

    Rather a minor thing, but it's been on my TODO list for too long.

    I'm looking for a good single word term to mean "super-project". That
    is, the grouping of a collection of sub-projects.

    RubyForge uses the term "project" to mean the super-project and
    "package" to mean the sub-project. I've been using that terminology
    for awhile, but I have never been fully happy with it b/c commonly
    people are referring to the sub-project when they say "project".

    With GitHub coming on the scene, we have different terms, basically
    "account" is the super-project and "repository" refers to the sub-
    project.

    I want to use the term "project" for the sub-project term. I think
    that makes the most sense. But I've been stuck trying to figure out
    the best term for the super-project. I've tried "namespace" in
    addition to "account", but neither feels right.

    Does anyone have a suggestion(s)?

    Thanks.

    Intransition, Oct 22, 2009

  2. Intransition

    Joe Martin Guest

    Thomas Sawyer wrote:
    > I want to use the term "project" for the sub-project term. I think
    > that makes the most sense. But I've been stuck trying to figure out
    > the best term for the super-project. I've tried "namespace" in
    > addition to "account", but neither feels right.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion(s)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Collection?

    Joe Martin, Oct 22, 2009

  3. Joe Martin wrote:
    > Thomas Sawyer wrote:
    >> I want to use the term "project" for the sub-project term. I think
    >> that makes the most sense. But I've been stuck trying to figure out
    >> the best term for the super-project. I've tried "namespace" in
    >> addition to "account", but neither feels right.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion(s)?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Collection?

    Hm, collective noun for "project"? Can't find anything[1,2], but maybe
    we can adapt:

    Anthology
    Flotilla
    Constellation
    Pride (as in lions)

    I rather like Anthology. Makes me feel all literary.

    [1] http://www.ucgc.org/terms-for-collections.htm
    [2] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Collective_nouns

    Joel VanderWerf, Oct 22, 2009
  4. Intransition

    Intransition Guest

    On Oct 22, 3:56=A0pm, Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    > Joe Martin wrote:
    > > Thomas Sawyer wrote:
    > >> I want to use the term "project" for the sub-project term. I think
    > >> that makes the most sense. But I've been stuck trying to figure out
    > >> the best term for the super-project. I've tried "namespace" in
    > >> addition to "account", but neither feels right.

    > >> Does anyone have a suggestion(s)?

    > >> Thanks.

    > > Collection?

    > Hm, collective noun for "project"? Can't find anything[1,2], but maybe
    > we can adapt:
    >
    > Anthology
    > Flotilla
    > Constellation
    > Pride (as in lions)
    >
    > I rather like Anthology. Makes me feel all literary.
    >
    > [1]http://www.ucgc.org/terms-for-collections.htm
    > [2]http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Collective_nouns

    You know, I almost went for it. I like how "Anthology" makes me feel
    too ;-)

    In the end however, Mr. Martin's suggestion of "collection", though a
    little too generic in itself, led me to "suite", which isn't perfect
    either, as it tends to convey a stronger connection between the
    projects than there actually might be, but I think it's close enough.

    Intransition, Nov 14, 2009