    learning C.
    Thanks in advance!

    D. Layman
    D. Layman, Jul 3, 2004

  2. D. Layman

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [FAQ] good tutorial/book on c?

    "D. Layman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello group,
    > After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    > from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

    and
    > 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    > me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

    net.
    > I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

    suggestions on
    > learning C.
    > Thanks in advance!

    (See section 18)

    Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 3, 2004

  3. D. Layman

    osmium Guest

    D. Layman writes:

    > After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    > from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

    and
    > 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    > me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

    net.
    > I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

    suggestions on
    > learning C.

    For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
    book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
    Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
    ever seen.

    It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
    way to save $40 or so, anyway.
    osmium, Jul 3, 2004
  4. D. Layman

    Ding Lei Guest

    "osmium" <> writes:

    > D. Layman writes:
    >
    >> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    >> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

    > and
    >> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    >> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

    > net.
    >> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

    > suggestions on
    >> learning C.

    > For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
    > book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
    > Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
    > ever seen.

    Oh really? I'v actually got that book at hand, just doesn't ever think it as
    as a candidate book. I thought it's really somewhat out of date(1988).

    > It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
    > way to save $40 or so, anyway.

    Yeah! I totally agree.

    --
    Yours,

    <<<::::: D i n g L e i ::::::>>
    || ||
    || Ext: 8106 ||
    || Email: <dinglei [A] ipanel [O] cn> ||
    || Dept. Of Technology/Engineering ||
    || Embedded Internet Solutions Inc. ||
    || ||
    <(((((( ===================== )))))>>>
    Ding Lei, Jul 3, 2004
  5. D. Layman

    Jesse Woo Guest

    D. Layman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello group,
    > After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    > from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
    > 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    > me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
    > I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
    > learning C.
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > D. Layman

    I would like to recommend www.itres.org.
    It have some books on C/C++ and many other books, you can read them
    online as well as download for free.
    Jesse Woo, Jul 3, 2004
  6. D. Layman

    Ding Lei Guest

    (Jesse Woo) writes:

    > D. Layman <> wrote in message
    >> Hello group,
    >> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    >> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C
    >> and 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    >> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the
    >> net.
    >> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or
    >> suggestions on learning C. Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> D. Layman

    > I would like to recommend www.itres.org. It have some books on C/C++ and
    > many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

    The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!
    Thank you Jesse!

    Ding Lei
    Ding Lei, Jul 3, 2004
  7. D. Layman

    Richard Bos Guest

    Ding Lei <> wrote:

    > (Jesse Woo) writes:
    >
    > > I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
    > > many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

    > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

    Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
    No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jul 5, 2004
  8. D. Layman

    Jesse Woo Guest

    (Richard Bos) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Ding Lei <> wrote:
    >
    > > (Jesse Woo) writes:
    > >
    > > > I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
    > > > many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

    > > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

    > Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
    > No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
    >
    > Richard

    lol, thief?
    actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
    copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
    thief either.
    Jesse Woo, Jul 6, 2004
  9. D. Layman

    Mike Wahler Guest

    > > Ding Lei <> wrote:

    C/C++ and

    free.

    > > > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

    > > Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
    > > No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
    > >
    > > Richard

    > lol, thief?
    > actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
    > copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
    > thief either.

    Then either remove the copyrighted works, or present evidence
    that you have the owners' permission to distribute their works
    on your site. And don't wait a month, do it now.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 6, 2004
  10. D. Layman

    Alan Balmer Guest

    Re: [FAQ] good tutorial/book on c?

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:03:33 GMT, "Mike Wahler"
    <> wrote:

    >"D. Layman" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello group,
    >> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
    >> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

    >and
    >> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
    >> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

    >net.
    >> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

    >suggestions on
    >> learning C.
    >> Thanks in advance!

    >http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    >(See section 18)
    >
    >Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org

    I've always wondered why accu does not have a review of K&R. To the
    OP: If you work with the C language, you should definitely acquire
    "The C Programming Language, Second Edition" by Kernighan and Ritchie.
    Opinions vary on whether it's a good tutorial, but you will need it as
    a reference. I personally think it's an excellent tutorial, but some
    find it too terse.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Jul 6, 2004
  11. D. Layman

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 5 Jul 2004 19:31:45 -0700, (Jesse Woo) wrote:

    > (Richard Bos) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Ding Lei <> wrote:

    >> > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

    >> Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
    >> No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
    >>
    >> Richard

    >lol, thief?
    >actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
    >copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
    >thief either.

    Yes, thief. The following statement on you web site is simply wrong:

    **********************
    Copyright Issue: the resources on this website is copyrighted and for
    personal use, you have the right to

    * Read on-line from the http://www.itres.tk web site or any other
    approved web site.
    * Download an electronic version for your own personal use and
    view it on your own personal computer.
    * Make a single printed copy for your own personal use.
    ***********************

    Since you have provided sufficient information to identify you, I
    suggest you remove the copyrighted works immediately.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Jul 6, 2004
  12. D. Layman

    Jesse Woo Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message news:<oVyGc.6597$>...
    > "Jesse Woo" <> wrote in message
    > > (Richard Bos) wrote in message

    > C/C++ and

    > free.

    > > > Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
    > > > No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
    > > >
    > > > Richard

    > > lol, thief?
    > > actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
    > > copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
    > > thief either.

    > Then either remove the copyrighted works, or present evidence
    > that you have the owners' permission to distribute their works
    > on your site. And don't wait a month, do it now.
    >
    > -Mike

    I am at school right now and my server is at home, I will remove the
    books when I am back home, I promise.

    Jesse
    Jesse Woo, Jul 7, 2004
  13. D. Layman

    Richard Bos Guest

    (Jesse Woo) wrote:

    > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message news:<oVyGc.6597$>...
    > > Then either remove the copyrighted works, or present evidence
    > > that you have the owners' permission to distribute their works
    > > on your site. And don't wait a month, do it now.

    > I am at school right now and my server is at home, I will remove the
    > books when I am back home, I promise.

    Look at the bright side: perhaps you won't be arrested for piracy until
    you get home, either.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jul 7, 2004