good tutorial/book on c?

D. Layman

Hello group,
After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
learning C.
Thanks in advance!

D. Layman

Mike Wahler

D. Layman said:
Hello group,
After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
learning C.
Thanks in advance!

(See section 18)

Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org

-Mike

osmium

D. Layman said:
After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
learning C.

For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
ever seen.

It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
way to save $40 or so, anyway.

Ding Lei

osmium said:
For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
ever seen.
Oh really? I'v actually got that book at hand, just doesn't ever think it as
as a candidate book. I thought it's really somewhat out of date(1988).
It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
way to save $40 or so, anyway.
Yeah! I totally agree.

--
Yours,

<<<::::: D i n g L e i ::::::>>
|| ||
|| Ext: 8106 ||
|| Email: <dinglei [A] ipanel [O] cn> ||
|| Dept. Of Technology/Engineering ||
|| Embedded Internet Solutions Inc. ||
|| ||
<(((((( ===================== )))))>>>

Jesse Woo

D. Layman said:
Hello group,
After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
learning C.
Thanks in advance!

D. Layman

I would like to recommend www.itres.org.
It have some books on C/C++ and many other books, you can read them
online as well as download for free.

Ding Lei

I would like to recommend www.itres.org. It have some books on C/C++ and
many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!
Thank you Jesse!

Ding Lei

Richard Bos

Ding Lei said:
I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

Richard

Jesse Woo

Ding Lei said:
I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

Richard

lol, thief?
actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
thief either.

Mike Wahler

Jesse Woo said:
(e-mail address removed) (Richard Bos) wrote in message
Ding Lei said:
(e-mail address removed) (Jesse Woo) writes:

I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

Richard

lol, thief?
actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
thief either.

Then either remove the copyrighted works, or present evidence
that you have the owners' permission to distribute their works
on your site. And don't wait a month, do it now.

-Mike

Alan Balmer

(See section 18)

Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org
I've always wondered why accu does not have a review of K&R. To the
OP: If you work with the C language, you should definitely acquire
"The C Programming Language, Second Edition" by Kernighan and Ritchie.
Opinions vary on whether it's a good tutorial, but you will need it as
a reference. I personally think it's an excellent tutorial, but some
find it too terse.

Alan Balmer

[email protected] (Richard Bos) wrote in message news: said:
Ding Lei said:
(e-mail address removed) (Jesse Woo) writes:

I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

Richard

lol, thief?
actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
thief either.

Yes, thief. The following statement on you web site is simply wrong:

**********************
Copyright Issue: the resources on this website is copyrighted and for
personal use, you have the right to

* Read on-line from the http://www.itres.tk web site or any other
approved web site.
* Download an electronic version for your own personal use and
view it on your own personal computer.
* Make a single printed copy for your own personal use.
***********************

Since you have provided sufficient information to identify you, I
suggest you remove the copyrighted works immediately.

Jesse Woo

Mike Wahler said:
Jesse Woo said:
[...]

I am at school right now and my server is at home, I will remove the
books when I am back home, I promise.

Jesse

Richard Bos

I am at school right now and my server is at home, I will remove the
books when I am back home, I promise.

Look at the bright side: perhaps you won't be arrested for piracy until
you get home, either.

Richard