good vhdl 2002 book or website

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by antonio bergnoli, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    antonio bergnoli, Jul 9, 2006

  2. antonio bergnoli

    john Doef Guest

    antonio bergnoli a écrit :

    > I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    > types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    I tried a few examples.

    Given that protected types won't be supported by synthetizer, this new
    feature is almost useless.
    Very very few people use or like shared variables too.
    IMHO this is a feature to be forgotten.

    The other vhdl 2002 features are transparent for users: the improved
    default binding rule was
    already present in most tool.

    JD.

    john Doef, Jul 10, 2006

  3. antonio bergnoli

    reuven Guest

    antonio bergnoli wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    > types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    Keep investigating protected types. While shared variables are not used
    in synthesis, they are very useful in testbenches and in modeling
    abstract data types like linked lists. Linked lists can be used to
    model non-synthesisizable "sparse memories" and FIFO's.

    regards,

    reuven, Jul 10, 2006
  4. reuven ha scritto:
    > antonio bergnoli wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    >> types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    > Keep investigating protected types. While shared variables are not used
    > in synthesis, they are very useful in testbenches and in modeling
    > abstract data types like linked lists. Linked lists can be used to
    > model non-synthesisizable "sparse memories" and FIFO's.
    >
    > regards,

    ok, but where could i study it?

    antonio bergnoli, Jul 11, 2006
  5. john Doef wrote:
    > antonio bergnoli a écrit :
    >
    >> I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    >> types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    Modelling the core of a memory with those types is a
    '5-minute-exercise' (you just nead read and write access
    functions to an array).

    The current edition of Ashenden's Designer's Guide has
    enough info on this to use it.

    > I tried a few examples.
    >
    > Given that protected types won't be supported by synthetizer, this new
    > feature is almost useless.
    > Very very few people use or like shared variables too.
    > IMHO this is a feature to be forgotten.

    Not quite, in my opinion. For modelling large memories and similar
    things, the protected types provide a "natural", simple, straightforward
    approach. For verification and high-level modelling, such
    features are urgently needed, if VHDL is to be used there.

    VHDL has many other constructs which are (sometimes just due
    to arbitrary limitations of the tools) not synthesizeable, but
    are valuable nevertheless.

    > The other vhdl 2002 features are transparent for users: the improved
    > default binding rule was
    > already present in most tool.
    >
    > JD.

    Robert

    Robert Reutemann, Jul 11, 2006
  6. antonio bergnoli

    john Doef Guest

    Robert Reutemann a écrit :

    > john Doef wrote:
    > > antonio bergnoli a écrit :
    > >
    > >> I'm looking for a good starting point to study vhdl 2002 (protected
    > >> types ...) . Does anyboby has any experences?

    > Modelling the core of a memory with those types is a
    > '5-minute-exercise' (you just nead read and write access
    > functions to an array).
    >
    > The current edition of Ashenden's Designer's Guide has
    > enough info on this to use it.
    >
    > > I tried a few examples.
    > >
    > > Given that protected types won't be supported by synthetizer, this new
    > > feature is almost useless.
    > > Very very few people use or like shared variables too.
    > > IMHO this is a feature to be forgotten.

    > Not quite, in my opinion. For modelling large memories and similar
    > things, the protected types provide a "natural", simple, straightforward
    > approach. For verification and high-level modelling, such
    > features are urgently needed, if VHDL is to be used there.

    Why do you need protected type for that ?
    Hash table and linked list do the job well.

    JD.

    john Doef, Jul 11, 2006
  7. john Doef wrote:
    > Robert Reutemann a écrit :
    >
    >> john Doef wrote:

    >> Modelling the core of a memory with those types is a
    >> '5-minute-exercise' (you just nead read and write access
    >> functions to an array).
    >>
    >> The current edition of Ashenden's Designer's Guide has
    >> enough info on this to use it.
    >>
    >>> I tried a few examples.
    >>>
    >>> Given that protected types won't be supported by synthetizer, this new
    >>> feature is almost useless.
    >>> Very very few people use or like shared variables too.
    >>> IMHO this is a feature to be forgotten.

    >> Not quite, in my opinion. For modelling large memories and similar
    >> things, the protected types provide a "natural", simple, straightforward
    >> approach. For verification and high-level modelling, such
    >> features are urgently needed, if VHDL is to be used there.

    > Why do you need protected type for that ?
    > Hash table and linked list do the job well.

    Because at least sometimes I want to have multiple
    processes accesing the array (e.g. separate read/write, ...),
    and I want to use a variable to avoid the overhead,
    so I need a shared variable, and protected types provide
    a clean way to access those from multiple processes without
    having to explicitly care about possible conflicts.

    Certainly not *the* solution in all cases, but one nice
    solution in some cases, which is reason enough for me.

    Robert

    Robert Reutemann, Jul 11, 2006

    Mike Treseler, Jul 11, 2006
  9. antonio bergnoli

    john Doef Guest

    Robert Reutemann a écrit :
    [...]
    > > Why do you need protected type for that ?
    > > Hash table and linked list do the job well.
    > >

    > Because at least sometimes I want to have multiple
    > processes accesing the array (e.g. separate read/write, ...),
    > and I want to use a variable to avoid the overhead,
    > so I need a shared variable, and protected types provide
    > a clean way to access those from multiple processes without
    > having to explicitly care about possible conflicts.

    Just to understand: what's prevent you from using only one process to
    do multiple accesses ?

    john Doef, Jul 13, 2006