Good web-development Python book

Yves S. Garret

Oooops! Sent my previous e-mail too soon! Didn't mean to.

Another try.

Hello,

I'm trying to brush up on my Python and would like to learn how to
make web-apps. I was hoping to get a good book on learning how to
make web-applications using Python (as opposed to something like PHP)
without any framework at the moment. Do you guys have any
suggestions?

I looked around on Amazon, but didn't really find anything too
promising. It was either very old or had no more than 3 stars in a
rating. I'd appreciate your help on this.

Chris Rebert

Oooops!  Sent my previous e-mail too soon!  Didn't mean to.

Another try.

Hello,

  I'm trying to brush up on my Python and would like to learn how to
make web-apps.  I was hoping to get a good book on learning how to
make web-applications using Python (as opposed to something like PHP)
without any framework at the moment.  Do you guys have any
suggestions?

  I looked around on Amazon, but didn't really find anything too
promising.  It was either very old or had no more than 3 stars in a
rating.  I'd appreciate your help on this.

The next edition of The Definitive Guide to Django, by the project's
co-BDFLs, is available online (for now):
http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/
It's not completely finished, but between it and the previous edition
(http://www.djangobook.com/en/1.0/ , also free), you should be fine.

Cheers,
Chris

Dennis Lee Bieber

The next edition of The Definitive Guide to Django, by the project's

Note: the OP stated "without a framework"... To me that implies raw
Python from scratch...

I don't have the newest edition, but I /think/ (mine is in storage
along with a whole box of other O'Reilly books)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NJV55FBGF48TE1MXY5P
included at least one chapter on web applications.

One is not going to find a stand-alone Python book that is only web
applications oriented that does not push some framework: CherryPy,
Django, Zope/Plone...

Chris Rebert

       Note: the OP stated "without a framework"... To me that implies raw
Python from scratch...

My bad, I completely overlooked that part of the post in my
earnestness to answer…

- Chris

Ethan Furman

Chris said:
My bad, I completely overlooked that part of the post in my
earnestness to answer…

Completely understandable -- after all, who would not be earnest (and
quick!) when replying to your surrogate god?

;)

~Ethan~