    so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
    make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
    Hoare

    Rhino, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Rhino

    defdingo Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message
    news:dajFd.37243$...
    > Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
    > XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
    > I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
    > slick as XMLSpy.
    >
    > --
    > Rhino
    > ---
    > rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
    > "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it
    > so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
    > make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
    > Hoare

    I've been using ... cooktop v2.5
    Excerpt from their website ... http://xmlcooktop.com
    "Cooktop is an editor and development environment for XML, DTD, and XSLT documents
    Cooktop is a Windows application
    Best of all, it's free!"

    hope it helps you ... cheers, defdingo

    defdingo, Jan 13, 2005

  3. Rhino schrieb:
    > Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
    > XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
    > I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
    > slick as XMLSpy.

    AFAIK the Home Edition of XMLSpy is free.

    Jo

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Joachim_Wei=DF?=, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Rhino

    anonymous Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
    > XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
    > I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
    > slick as XMLSpy.

    oxygenXML isn't exactly free, but it is dirt cheap. I use it
    exclusively, among other reasons because it is Java based and runs on
    Linux. Wouldn't touch XmlSpy unless it ran on Linux.

    anonymous, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Rhino

    Guest

    Here is list of popular WYSIWYM/WYSIWYG XML editors :
    http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/editors.html
    All freeware, opensource, and commercial editors are listed.

    In Peace,
    Saqib Ali
    http://validate.sf.net

    Rhino wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of

    Altova
    > XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it

    right now.
    > I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it

    isn't as
    > slick as XMLSpy.
    >
    > --
    > Rhino
    > ---
    > rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
    > "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to

    make it
    > so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way

    is to
    > make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." -

    C.A.R.
    > Hoare

    , Jan 13, 2005
  6. Joachim Weiß wrote:

    > Rhino schrieb:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
    >> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right
    >> now.
    >> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it
    >> isn't as
    >> slick as XMLSpy.
    >>

    > AFAIK the Home Edition of XMLSpy is free.

    The 'standard' edition of the XML Mind XML editor (XXE) is free for
    personal use. It's a WYSIWYG XML *content* editor. See:

    http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

    It's is my personal choice.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
    in the given address: m.collado -> mcollado

    Manuel Collado, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Rhino

    JAPISoft Guest

    http://www.editix.com

    JAPISoft, Jan 21, 2005
  8. Rhino

    John Fereira Guest

    "defdingo" <> wrote in

    > "Rhino" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of
    >> Altova XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford
    >> it right now. I'd like to get something free that does a decent job,
    >> even if it isn't as slick as XMLSpy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rhino
    >> ---
    >> rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
    >> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
    >> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
    >> other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
    >> deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare
    >>

    > I've been using ... cooktop v2.5
    > Excerpt from their website ... http://xmlcooktop.com
    > "Cooktop is an editor and development environment for XML, DTD, and
    > XSLT documents
    > Cooktop is a Windows application
    > Best of all, it's free!"

    I also like Cooktop. Even thought we have a license for XMLSpy and I have
    it installed on my system I still end up using Cooktop more often. Even
    better than the fact that it's free is that it has a small footprint. It
    loads and runs very fast.

    John Fereira, Jan 24, 2005
  9. Rhino

    Guest

    , Feb 1, 2005
  10. Rhino

    dec200269 Guest

    Check out Style Studio XML http://www.stylestudio.com Way beyond
    anything I have come across for a commercial product on the market. If
    you require cross-platform or non-Windows editor then oXygen is a great
    tool as well.
    -D

    dec200269, Feb 3, 2005
  11. You may be interested to know that Cladonia Limited, the publisher of
    Exchanger XML Editor, has released a free XML Editor for use in a
    non-commercial environment called Exchanger XML Lite.

    The Lite edition is completely free for home, academic or non-profit
    use. No registration required, no 30-day usage limit.

    Exchanger XML Lite is a Java-based product that provides comprehensive
    functionality for viewing, authoring and editing XML data and documents.

    Features:
    • Multi-document interface
    • Comprehensive XSLT Debugger
    • DTD, RelaxNG, XML Schema support
    • XPath, XQuery, XSLT, XSL:FO, SVG, SOAP, WSDL
    • Import from Database, Excel, text files
    • XML Digital Signatures
    • Generate schema from instance
    • Generate instance from schema
    • Emacs shortcuts

    For more information visit http://www.freexmleditor.com

    Alternatively, if you require a commercial license, or would like to try
    out the Grid or XML Diff/Merge functionality, then download the
    Exchanger XML Professional edition from http://www.exchangerxml.com and
    register for a 30-day trial license.

    Cladonia Limited, Oct 20, 2005