    App opensource, the XML parser should be small and have very small memory
    foot print

    any suggestion ??

    hack_tick, Aug 6, 2004

  2. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:46:26 +0530, hack_tick wrote:

    > i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
    > Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
    > App opensource,

    You want something for free, on which you
    intend to charge money, but not make it
    open-source or contribute anything back
    in any way..

    > ..any suggestion ??

    Join us in the real world?

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:46:26 +0530, hack_tick wrote:
    >

    >>i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
    >>Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
    >>App opensource,

    > You want something for free, on which you
    > intend to charge money, but not make it
    > open-source or contribute anything back
    > in any way..

    yeah, but aren't apache, bsd, mozilla, lgpl and, to an extent, gpl
    licenses as written, actually anticipate scenarios such as above? after
    all, IBM's is based on eclipse, red hat's "enterprise" linux isn't free
    at all?

    Would it not be allright, if a company were to offer solutions based on
    freely available source code, but not provide their own? hopefully, if
    money is made, the company will see it in its' interests to support free
    software development by donating to open source projects and promoting
    them. for example, if a company like eBay ran their service on Tomcat,
    wouldn't that immediately make Tomcat and open source projects in
    general, that much more viable for other corporations?

    -nikita

    Nikita Tovstoles, Aug 6, 2004
  4. hack_tick

    hack_tick Guest

    hack_tick, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Andrew Thompson <> writes:

    > You want something for free, on which you
    > intend to charge money, but not make it
    > open-source or contribute anything back
    > in any way..

    Teh BSD license 4 U! :)

    In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
    like that.

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson <> writes:
    >

    >>You want something for free, on which you
    >>intend to charge money, but not make it
    >>open-source or contribute anything back
    >>in any way..

    > Teh BSD license 4 U! :)
    >
    > In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
    > like that.

    But even with GPL, i think (i may be wrong here / mixing peaches and
    oranges) one can, for example, create a web service that operates on
    GPL-based software (like an App server), charge money for access to it,
    and not have to reveal own proprietary server-side code to anyone?

    -nikita

    Nikita Tovstoles, Aug 6, 2004
  7. On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:07:28 GMT, Nikita Tovstoles wrote:
    > Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson <> writes:
    >>
    >>>You want something for free, on which you
    >>>intend to charge money, but not make it
    >>>open-source or contribute anything back
    >>>in any way..

    >> Teh BSD license 4 U! :)
    >>
    >> In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
    >> like that.

    > But even with GPL, i think (i may be wrong here / mixing peaches and
    > oranges) one can, for example, create a web service that operates on
    > GPL-based software (like an App server), charge money for access to it,
    > and not have to reveal own proprietary server-side code to anyone?

    OK ...OoK! I was wrong on that one!

    (shrugs) I've been wrong before,
    I'll be wrong again.. ;-)

    <EXCUSE CLASS='PATHETIC'>
    I suppose it just strikes me as hypocritical..
    </EXCUSE>

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 6, 2004
  8. hack_tick wrote:

    > nano XML
    > http://nanoxml.sourceforge.net/orig/kvm.html

    I use kXML.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

    Darryl L. Pierce, Aug 7, 2004
  9. hack_tick

    huy Guest

    hack_tick wrote:

    > hi there
    > i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
    > Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
    > App opensource, the XML parser should be small and have very small memory
    > foot print
    >
    > any suggestion ??

    Just out of interest, what are you using xml in a J2ME app for ?

    Configuration, Persistence, Communication, Other ?

    Cheers,

    Huy

    huy, Aug 10, 2004