    the number of errors rose from 10 to 12. Conclusion, if it ain't
    broke, don't fix it. My thanks though to Ever Hard for helping me sort
    out the only file that was apparently causing browsers any trouble.

    thedarkman, Oct 30, 2011

  2. On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:24:54 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > Re Oysters, when I inserted body tags, it made no difference, but when I
    > inserted <!DOCTYPE HTML>
    >
    > the number of errors rose from 10 to 12. Conclusion, if it ain't broke,
    > don't fix it. My thanks though to Ever Hard for helping me sort out the
    > only file that was apparently causing browsers any trouble.

    The only way to fix the problems is to fix the problems.

    I have given you a fully corrected version of the oysters file that has
    no errors, validates completely, and uses your preferred font and bold
    mark-up.

    Of course using a doctype that deprecates the use of font, i and b will
    increase the error count. This seems to be what you have done.

    Declaring your file as a specific version of html will only reduce the
    error count if the file is written according to that version of html. If
    you define an html version for which your mark-up is even less compliant,
    then of course the error count will increase.

    You have remained deaf and blind to this every time you have brought your
    recurring broken mark-up caused problems to us, and every time that we
    have told you that your basic problems are:

    Broken mark-up, specifically un-terminated elements for which termination
    is compulsory.

    Your refusal to address these fundamental html errors (which can be fixed
    without using any css, despite the css advocacy that takes place here)
    are why your broken html mark-up continues to break browsers.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 30, 2011

  3. On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:24:54 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > the number of errors rose from 10 to 12. Conclusion, if it ain't broke,
    > don't fix it. My thanks though to Ever Hard for helping me sort out the
    > only file that was apparently causing browsers any trouble.

    You still have unclosed anchor elements between lines 400 and 500 of your
    limericks page.

    Here is a hint:

    When the validator reports "document does not allow element .... here"
    this means that somewhere previous to the error you have an element start
    tag but no end tag for an element type which can not contain the element
    that generates the report.

    So, for example, if you have:

    ---8<--- cut here ---8<---
    <a name="blah">

    ---8<--- cut here ---8<---

    The <p> generates an error because when it reaches the <p> it is still
    *inside* the un-terminated <a> element.

    The error is actually the failure to terminate the <a>, but the validator
    processes the page serially, and does not know when it reaches the <p>
    whether there is an </a> further down, all it can report at that point is
    that it has come across a <p> at a position (inside an open <a>) that a

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 30, 2011
  4. thedarkman

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT), thedarkman wrote:

    > Re Oysters, when I inserted body tags, it made no difference, but when
    > I inserted <!DOCTYPE HTML>
    >
    > the number of errors rose from 10 to 12. Conclusion, if it ain't
    > broke, don't fix it. My thanks though to Ever Hard for helping me sort
    > out the only file that was apparently causing browsers any trouble.

    Here's what one type of "Doctype" tag should look like.
    It's only one of about a dozen different types.

    richard, Oct 31, 2011