Google and Asp.Net

shapper

Hello,

If you make a search in Google for "CNN" you will get the result as
follows:

CNN.com - Breaking News, US, World, Weather, Entertainment & Video ...

CNN.com delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest
top stories, weather, business, entertainment, politics, and more.
www.cnn.com/ - 99k - Cached - Similar pages
SI.com - News and Scores from ... - sportsillustrated.cnn.com/
International Edition - edition.cnn.com/
CNNMoney.com - money.cnn.com/
Entertainment - www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/
More results from www.cnn.com »

Instead of:

String.Split Method (System)

Returns a String array containing the substrings in this instance that
are delimited by elements of a specified Char or String array.
msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.string.split.aspx - 15k -
Cached - Similar pages

when I do a search for "string.split". This is the tratidional format
of Google search results.

How does google see those links inside a web site?

Should I implement something in Asp.Net web site?

Thanks,

Miguel

clintonG

I can usually do okay reading babble but your question went right off the
edge for me. Maybe somebody else can figure it out but what is it you are
actually asking?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

[...]

I assume that maybe I didn't ask this the best way.

Basically, what I asked is why when doing a search in Google some of
the results like CNN comes with links under it to subsections of the
web site.

Is this something that should be done somewhere in the Metatags when
developing the web site, does it have something to do with Google
Sitemap, or what?

Thanks,
Miguel

Uriah Piddle

This is OT but if you do a 'News' google with this ( 'asp borderstyle
dropdownlist' ), you get no results.

After google took on all the newsgroup archives a few years ago, I noticed
that all of my newsgroup searches turned up posts to the non-MS groups only.
I emailed them and they replied with instructions on how to do an advanced
search. I can't figure out why a google newsgroup search on an obviously MS
topic would skip over the MS newsgroups. I suppose its their company and
they can do with it what they want but its odd.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Miguel,
It could be through the sitemap feature, but also don't forget that
a lot of media companies such as CNN have higher level marketing agreements
in place with Google. Not to mention it's in Google's best interest to
showcase these sub-sites in order to make searching for these easier thus
increasing Googles marketshare.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

I assume that maybe I didn't ask this the best way.

Basically, what I asked is why when doing a search in Google some of
the results like CNN comes with links under it to subsections of the
web site.

Is this something that should be done somewhere in the Metatags when
developing the web site, does it have something to do with Google
Sitemap, or what?

Thanks,
Miguel

shapper

Thanks,

It is just that lately I have been working with Asp.Net Web.sitemap and
Google Sitemap trying to follow all the steps so my web sites rank high
in search engines and I wasn't sure about the difference in results.

Miguel

clintonG

Thanks for refactoring your question Miguel.

I agree a Google SiteMap is probably being parsed by Google to enable more
linked items to be displayed in search results. See if you can find the same
CNN page using different query terms and the same links should be showing up
as the Google SiteMap is static. That kind of trial and error is still the
way SEO is done as far as I know.