Google and Asp.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by shapper, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Hello,

    If you make a search in Google for "CNN" you will get the result as
    follows:

    CNN.com - Breaking News, US, World, Weather, Entertainment & Video ...

    CNN.com delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest
    top stories, weather, business, entertainment, politics, and more.
    www.cnn.com/ - 99k - Cached - Similar pages
    SI.com - News and Scores from ... - sportsillustrated.cnn.com/
    International Edition - edition.cnn.com/
    CNNMoney.com - money.cnn.com/
    Entertainment - www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/
    More results from www.cnn.com »

    Instead of:

    String.Split Method (System)

    Returns a String array containing the substrings in this instance that
    are delimited by elements of a specified Char or String array.
    msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.string.split.aspx - 15k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    when I do a search for "string.split". This is the tratidional format
    of Google search results.

    How does google see those links inside a web site?

    Should I implement something in Asp.Net web site?

    Thanks,

    Miguel

    shapper, Sep 30, 2006

  2. shapper

    clintonG Guest

    I can usually do okay reading babble but your question went right off the
    edge for me. Maybe somebody else can figure it out but what is it you are
    actually asking?

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

    clintonG, Sep 30, 2006

  3. shapper

    shapper Guest

    I assume that maybe I didn't ask this the best way.

    Basically, what I asked is why when doing a search in Google some of
    the results like CNN comes with links under it to subsections of the
    web site.

    Is this something that should be done somewhere in the Metatags when
    developing the web site, does it have something to do with Google
    Sitemap, or what?

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Sep 30, 2006
  4. shapper

    Uriah Piddle Guest

    This is OT but if you do a 'News' google with this ( 'asp borderstyle
    dropdownlist' ), you get no results.

    After google took on all the newsgroup archives a few years ago, I noticed
    that all of my newsgroup searches turned up posts to the non-MS groups only.
    I emailed them and they replied with instructions on how to do an advanced
    search. I can't figure out why a google newsgroup search on an obviously MS
    topic would skip over the MS newsgroups. I suppose its their company and
    they can do with it what they want but its odd.

    Uriah Piddle, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Miguel,
    It could be through the sitemap feature, but also don't forget that
    a lot of media companies such as CNN have higher level marketing agreements
    in place with Google. Not to mention it's in Google's best interest to
    showcase these sub-sites in order to make searching for these easier thus
    increasing Googles marketshare.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Sep 30, 2006
  6. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Thanks,

    It is just that lately I have been working with Asp.Net Web.sitemap and
    Google Sitemap trying to follow all the steps so my web sites rank high
    in search engines and I wasn't sure about the difference in results.

    Miguel

    shapper, Sep 30, 2006
  7. shapper

    clintonG Guest

    Thanks for refactoring your question Miguel.

    I agree a Google SiteMap is probably being parsed by Google to enable more
    linked items to be displayed in search results. See if you can find the same
    CNN page using different query terms and the same links should be showing up
    as the Google SiteMap is static. That kind of trial and error is still the
    way SEO is done as far as I know.

    clintonG, Oct 1, 2006