    I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross posting
    and thanks
    in advance for your help.
    -Rob, Oct 7, 2003

  2. -Rob

    PeterMcC Guest

    -Rob wrote:
    > What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not
    > resubmit) website to google. I am being told different things by
    > different people.
    >
    > I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any
    > search engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was
    > necessary to resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the
    > ranking was not pushed down by "sites which would have achieved an
    > equal page rank, had they originally been submitted at the same time"

    Once the spiders find you, they revisit regularly.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Oct 7, 2003

  3. -Rob wrote:

    > What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not resubmit)
    > website to google. I am being told different things by different people.
    >
    > I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any search
    > engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was necessary to
    > resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the ranking was not pushed
    > down by "sites which would have achieved an equal page rank, had they
    > originally been submitted at the same time"

    google spidered my site at once. I only submitted my site one time and I
    get loads of hits.
    there's a good book about google hacks by o'reilly
    look at "google hacks" at www.oreilly.com.
    Robert Wallace, Oct 7, 2003
  4. -Rob wrote:

    > I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross posting
    > and thanks
    > in advance for your help.

    I'm sure we would all forgive you for cross-posting, but you haven't
    cross-posted: you have multi-posted.

    <URL:http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 7, 2003
  5. -Rob

    -Rob Guest

    > Once the spiders find you, they revisit regularly.

    Hmm, this is strange. I know a company (7000 clients) who swear by the
    almighty great web designer in the sky that by submitting to google,
    manually, every two months is both necessary and appropriate, to ensure that
    the rank of the site is not pushed down by other sites which are

    1) for arguments sake, equal, in terms of page rank and keyword use
    2) Which have been submitted more recently.

    This company says that by resubmitting to google, anything else with the
    same level of optimisation that has been submitted more recently will appear
    on top... assuming the sites are the same, in terms of keyword usage, that
    is.

    Is usage a proper word even. Help!
    -Rob, Oct 8, 2003
  6. -Rob

    rf Guest

    "-Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > Once the spiders find you, they revisit regularly.
    > >

    > Hmm, this is strange. I know a company (7000 clients) who swear by the
    > almighty great web designer in the sky that by submitting to google,
    > manually, every two months is both necessary and appropriate, to ensure

    that
    > the rank of the site is not pushed down by other sites which are
    >
    > 1) for arguments sake, equal, in terms of page rank and keyword use
    > 2) Which have been submitted more recently.
    >
    > This company says that by resubmitting to google, anything else with the
    > same level of optimisation that has been submitted more recently will

    appear
    > on top... assuming the sites are the same, in terms of keyword usage, that
    > is.

    Hmmm.

    Why don't you go to the place where all this is discussed, google's web
    site. Guidelines for sumitting your site to them is all spelt out there.

    One thing to remember, submit more frequently than their spam filter
    considers inappropriate and you are gone :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 8, 2003
  7. -Rob

    PeterMcC Guest

    -Rob wrote:
    >> Once the spiders find you, they revisit regularly.
    >>

    > Hmm, this is strange. I know a company (7000 clients) who swear by the
    > almighty great web designer in the sky that by submitting to google,
    > manually, every two months is both necessary and appropriate, to
    > ensure that the rank of the site is not pushed down by other sites
    > which are
    >
    > 1) for arguments sake, equal, in terms of page rank and keyword use
    > 2) Which have been submitted more recently.
    >
    > This company says that by resubmitting to google, anything else with
    > the same level of optimisation that has been submitted more recently
    > will appear on top... assuming the sites are the same, in terms of
    > keyword usage, that is.

    Sorry to be blunt but they are wrong, either because they don't know about
    search engine optimisation or because they are trying to deliberately
    mislead. Either way, it wouldn't encourage me to use their services

    PeterMcC, Oct 8, 2003
  8. -Rob wrote:
    >> Once the spiders find you, they revisit regularly.

    they do

    > Hmm, this is strange. I know a company (7000 clients) who swear by the
    > almighty great web designer in the sky that by submitting to google,
    > manually, every two months is both necessary and appropriate, to
    > ensure that the rank of the site is not pushed down by other sites
    > which are

    stuff and nonsense.

    > 1) for arguments sake, equal, in terms of page rank and keyword use

    fud (fear, uncertainty and doubt)

    > 2) Which have been submitted more recently.

    smoke and mirrors

    > This company says that by resubmitting to google, anything else with
    > the same level of optimisation that has been submitted more recently
    > will appear on top... assuming the sites are the same, in terms of
    > keyword usage, that is.

    garbage

    > Is usage a proper word even. Help!

    hmmm - I think it works in that context.

    once your pages are indexed, they will be spidered (and respidered)
    regularly, according to the algorithms of each se bot. there are things you
    can do to encourage more frequent repeat visits, but there is no point
    unless there are regular changes to your pages. If you desire regular
    repeat visits then you must ensure that there is new content every time the
    bot re-spiders pages it has already indexed - that will encourage it to
    revisit more frequently.

    The frequency of visits has no impact on the serps for a page where the
    content remains the same.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 8, 2003
  9. -Rob

    -Rob Guest

    > once your pages are indexed, they will be spidered (and respidered)
    > regularly, according to the algorithms of each se bot. there are things

    you
    > can do to encourage more frequent repeat visits, but there is no point
    > unless there are regular changes to your pages. If you desire regular
    > repeat visits then you must ensure that there is new content every time

    the
    > bot re-spiders pages it has already indexed - that will encourage it to
    > revisit more frequently.
    >
    > The frequency of visits has no impact on the serps for a page where the
    > content remains the same.

    Thanks for your very helpful info mate, and also to everyone else. Hmmmm is
    all I can think to say, re: this company who is selling a re-submission
    service.
    -Rob, Oct 8, 2003
  10. -Rob

    PeterMcC Guest

    -Rob wrote:
    >> once your pages are indexed, they will be spidered (and respidered)
    >> regularly, according to the algorithms of each se bot. there are
    >> things you can do to encourage more frequent repeat visits, but
    >> there is no point unless there are regular changes to your pages.
    >> If you desire regular repeat visits then you must ensure that there
    >> is new content every time the bot re-spiders pages it has already
    >> indexed - that will encourage it to revisit more frequently.
    >>
    >> The frequency of visits has no impact on the serps for a page where
    >> the content remains the same.

    > Thanks for your very helpful info mate, and also to everyone else.
    > Hmmmm is all I can think to say, re: this company who is selling a
    > re-submission service.

    The posters have all been lying to you Rob, it's a conspiracy - send me
    money on a regular basis and I'll re-submit your site every two months,
    honest ;-)

    <serious>It's a pleasure to think that the replies may have helped keep a
    little of your money in your pocket and out of a less deserving one.
    </serious>

    PeterMcC, Oct 8, 2003
  11. -Rob

    -Rob Guest

    > The posters have all been lying to you Rob, it's a conspiracy - send me
    > money on a regular basis and I'll re-submit your site every two months,
    > honest ;-)
    >
    > <serious>It's a pleasure to think that the replies may have helped keep a
    > little of your money in your pocket and out of a less deserving one.
    > </serious>

    Does everything we have discussed, leading up to the conclusion that
    re-submission is not at all necessary for sites listed on google, apply to
    "the majority of other search engines"

    Im wondering, given that this company is charging £300 for 6 manual
    submissions to just over a dozen or so major search engines per year,
    whether or not there is any benefit for the client?

    ~Rob
    -Rob, Oct 9, 2003
  12. -Rob

    shank Guest

    "-Rob" <> wrote in message
    > What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not resubmit)
    > website to google. I am being told different things by different people.
    >
    > I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any search
    > engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was necessary to
    > resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the ranking was not

    pushed
    > down by "sites which would have achieved an equal page rank, had they
    > originally been submitted at the same time"
    >
    > I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross

    posting
    > and thanks
    > in advance for your help.

    Resubmission is poppycock!
    What counts more is how many other sites have legitimately linked to your
    site. However, don't get into one of those linking or banner networks.
    Google detects those also and you'll be gone. Once gone it can take forever
    to get back. Regardless of what you do, you will notice yourself and others
    moving up and down in the ranks.

    Personally, I think the search engines make their money by advertising. To
    be successful, they need new and frequent users constantly. Assume that the
    top 10 websites today stayed that way indefinately. Everytime you searched,
    you got the same results. Would you keep coming back to Google? Not likely.
    That's why I believe they are constantly changing their criteria daily
    weekly or whatever.

    Good luck!
    shank, Oct 9, 2003
  13. -Rob

    PeterMcC Guest

    shank wrote:
    > "-Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not
    >> resubmit) website to google. I am being told different things by
    >> different people.
    >>
    >> I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any
    >> search engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was
    >> necessary to resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the
    >> ranking was not pushed down by "sites which would have achieved an
    >> equal page rank, had they originally been submitted at the same time"
    >>
    >> I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross
    >> posting and thanks
    >> in advance for your help.

    > Resubmission is poppycock!
    > What counts more is how many other sites have legitimately linked to
    > your site. However, don't get into one of those linking or banner
    > networks. Google detects those also and you'll be gone. Once gone it
    > can take forever to get back. Regardless of what you do, you will
    > notice yourself and others moving up and down in the ranks.

    Sound advice

    > Personally, I think the search engines make their money by
    > advertising. To be successful, they need new and frequent users
    > constantly. Assume that the top 10 websites today stayed that way
    > indefinately. Everytime you searched, you got the same results. Would
    > you keep coming back to Google? Not likely. That's why I believe they
    > are constantly changing their criteria daily weekly or whatever.

    An interesting speculation but, AFAIK, there's no information to support it
    and I'd caution against building that into your model of how the SERPs
    algorithm works.

    PeterMcC, Oct 10, 2003
  14. -Rob

    shank Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > shank wrote:
    > > "-Rob" <> wrote in message
    > >> What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not
    > >> resubmit) website to google. I am being told different things by
    > >> different people.
    > >>
    > >> I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any
    > >> search engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was
    > >> necessary to resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the
    > >> ranking was not pushed down by "sites which would have achieved an
    > >> equal page rank, had they originally been submitted at the same time"
    > >>
    > >> I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross
    > >> posting and thanks
    > >> in advance for your help.

    > > Resubmission is poppycock!
    > > What counts more is how many other sites have legitimately linked to
    > > your site. However, don't get into one of those linking or banner
    > > networks. Google detects those also and you'll be gone. Once gone it
    > > can take forever to get back. Regardless of what you do, you will
    > > notice yourself and others moving up and down in the ranks.

    > Sound advice
    >
    > > Personally, I think the search engines make their money by
    > > advertising. To be successful, they need new and frequent users
    > > constantly. Assume that the top 10 websites today stayed that way
    > > indefinately. Everytime you searched, you got the same results. Would
    > > you keep coming back to Google? Not likely. That's why I believe they
    > > are constantly changing their criteria daily weekly or whatever.

    > An interesting speculation but, AFAIK, there's no information to support

    it
    > and I'd caution against building that into your model of how the SERPs
    > algorithm works.

    Correct. It is speculation. But I would like to see a qualified lucid answer
    as to why the same search term will produce different results in the top 10
    list across a few weeks. Certainly the top 10 are not trying to get off that
    list!
    :))
    shank, Oct 10, 2003
  15. -Rob

    PeterMcC Guest

    shank wrote:
    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    >> shank wrote:
    >>> "-Rob" <> wrote in message

    >>> Resubmission is poppycock!
    >>> What counts more is how many other sites have legitimately linked to
    >>> your site. However, don't get into one of those linking or banner
    >>> networks. Google detects those also and you'll be gone. Once gone it
    >>> can take forever to get back. Regardless of what you do, you will
    >>> notice yourself and others moving up and down in the ranks.

    >> Sound advice
    >>
    >>> Personally, I think the search engines make their money by
    >>> advertising. To be successful, they need new and frequent users
    >>> constantly. Assume that the top 10 websites today stayed that way
    >>> indefinately. Everytime you searched, you got the same results.
    >>> Would you keep coming back to Google? Not likely. That's why I
    >>> believe they are constantly changing their criteria daily weekly or
    >>> whatever.

    >> An interesting speculation but, AFAIK, there's no information to
    >> support it and I'd caution against building that into your model of
    >> how the SERPs algorithm works.
    >>

    > Correct. It is speculation. But I would like to see a qualified lucid
    > answer as to why the same search term will produce different results
    > in the top 10 list across a few weeks. Certainly the top 10 are not
    > trying to get off that list!
    > :))

    A butterfly flaps its wings and, on the Google servers ...

    Seriously, I'm sure that there is no "random shake-up" element at work, the
    sites move around in the results because one achieves ascendancy over
    another as a result of site changes that impact on one of over a hundred
    factors that are used in the Google algorithm or because new sites make it
    into the upper reaches of the results. I've got sites at No 1 on Google that
    have been there for a couple of years now.

    PeterMcC, Oct 10, 2003
  16. PeterMcC wrote:

    > Seriously, I'm sure that there is no "random shake-up" element at work, the
    > sites move around in the results because one achieves ascendancy over
    > another as a result of site changes that impact on one of over a hundred
    > factors that are used in the Google algorithm or because new sites make it
    > into the upper reaches of the results.

    True. My website is no longer the top result for Toby Inkster -- it's 7th
    (or 4th, depending on how you count Google's grouping of pages on the same
    domain).

    Although, yay, I am still #1 for Toby A Inkster.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 11, 2003
  17. -Rob

    Mini Me Guest

    In article <blusm9$dvo$>,
    says...
    > What is the optimum timeframe within which to resubmit (and not resubmit)
    > website to google. I am being told different things by different people.
    >
    > I was told 2 months is optimum. no more, no less. And that if any search
    > engine optimisation work had been done on a site, it was necessary to
    > resubmit the site once every two months to ensure the ranking was not pushed
    > down by "sites which would have achieved an equal page rank, had they
    > originally been submitted at the same time"
    >
    > I'm going to post this to alt.search-engines - forgive me for cross posting
    > and thanks
    > in advance for your help.

    You might try paid inclusion. For something like $34/year you can
    gaurantee that your site will get spidered regularly.

    http://www.inktomi.com/products/web_search/sms.html

    Beyond that, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Google Hacks" which includes
    some great information on optimizing your site specifically for Google.

    However, please note that the various big search engines value things
    differently, so optimizing your site for Google might lower your ranking
    on other search engines (like any of the other search engines really
    matter).
    Mini Me, Oct 17, 2003